Traffic Not Working - 5200

RobFJ
RobFJ Registered Users Posts: 15
Apprentice Traveler
I'd been aware for a while that my tomtom has not been giving any information on traffic delays or alternate routes. I noticed today that the unit is showing no internet connection for the traffic function when I'm on the road (showing connected at the moment as I'm home and it is connected via wi-fi).

Other posts suggest I need to contact tomtom for a change to made at its end. So far I haven't found out how to do that.

Can anyone help me get the traffic feature working once more.

Many thanks

Best Answer

• RobFJ
    Apprentice Traveler
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to all that helped me.

I got the simcard out once I knew it needed to be pulled out, rather than have the spring action of a mobile phone.

First impression on looking at the sim was that it looked perfectly clean and definitely no corrosion. I used a babybud and some acetone on the metal side of the sim card and the babybud was quite grey after about 30 secs of persisent but light touch cleaning. So something was there that just couldn't be seen with the naked eye

Traffic now works :)

Hope this might help someone else.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    Hi @RobFJ

If you want to contact Customer support try the following.ry the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in, and not before, Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and at the bottom is a message option
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

As you ave indicated that you can get the service at home via Wifi but not on the road then it is possible, as a few have found , that the contacts on the inbuilt Mobile sim have become corroded and so the link is lost.

If the unit is out of warrantee, as the following would negate it, and you fancy trying then some have very carefully removed the Serial Number label on the bottom of the unit, next to the Memory Sim slot, to reveal the Mobile Sim Slot. By carefully clicking the Sim In and Out/ cleaned the contacts on it they have restored the connection. Replace the label after to cover the slot.

Doug
  • RobFJ
    Apprentice Traveler
    Answer ✓
    Thanks to all that helped me.

I got the simcard out once I knew it needed to be pulled out, rather than have the spring action of a mobile phone.

First impression on looking at the sim was that it looked perfectly clean and definitely no corrosion. I used a babybud and some acetone on the metal side of the sim card and the babybud was quite grey after about 30 secs of persisent but light touch cleaning. So something was there that just couldn't be seen with the naked eye

Traffic now works :)

Hope this might help someone else.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    Hi @RobFJ

Glad you are sorted.

Doug