Why the map difference between Mydrive and Go Discover?

Poul_L
Poul_L Registered Users Posts: 3
New Seeker
I was a happy owner of a Go 5200, because my gravel road was marked. Some af my guests with newer cars with built-in GPS could not find my address, and I thought that must be a Garmin in the car.
But after I have changed to a Go Discover, I understand the problem. Me and my neighbours adresses has disappeared, but are still on Mydrive.

Why this deterioration and when will it be corrected?

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Poul_L
    Welcome to the site....
    The GO Discover uses, the new Tomtom NDS Mapping system....
    The GO 5200 Uses the previous Maps,,,,

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Poul_L
    New Seeker
    So Tomtom chooses a new map system with shortcomings, so that places where GPS is needed are not covered.

It makes sense, - or not ??
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi
    @Poul_L
    When using the new Tomtom NDS Mapping system, have you tried Pinch zooming in on the Map ??? I find the Smaller Roads & Country lanes disappear from the Map view earlier and at a higher level of zoom than the previous Mapping System....

Stay Safe
  • Poul_L
    New Seeker
    Yes, I have tried to zoom to max.
    In the old card system I could write my or my neighbours' address, but now only few addresses long away are known in the area.
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 93
    Supreme Trailblazer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Poul_L
    Welcome to the site....
    The GO Discover uses, the new Tomtom NDS Mapping system....
    The GO 5200 Uses the previous Maps,,,,

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Changing the map format for some reason (improvement?) I can understand but the content of the map should be at least of the same quality if not even better (in that way I understand improvement) and as it looks from the various threads this is not the case - and that is very bad
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Poul_L
    You can use the Mapshare Updating Tool to report Map errors....

Tomtom MapShare Reporter Tool Here... https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/#loc=0.00000,0.00000,2

As the Maps for the GO Discover are updated weekly, the progress of the correction should be much faster....
    On the previous Tomtom devices, the 4 Map updates are installed quarterly each year....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 93
    Supreme Trailblazer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Poul_L
    You can use the Mapshare Updating Tool to report Map errors....

Tomtom MapShare Reporter Tool Here... https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/#loc=0.00000,0.00000,2

As the Maps for the GO Discover are updated weekly, the progress of the correction should be much faster....
    On the previous Tomtom devices, the 4 Map updates are installed quarterly each year....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

But this is completely different problem. TomTom has often correct data on maps used in older devices (old format), on MapShare and MapDrive so there's nothing to correct - data are not present in maps with new NDS format, sometimes roads are vanishing (I was writing once about such problem present only on NDS maps in TomTom Go apk) so it is the problem of new map format and data synchronisation. Weekly updates don't help with that - also big monthly updates are often far behind. And that is sad because I like very much TTGo apk after almost year of using it and I'm still waiting for better maps. Fortunately for me in my neighbourhood data are mostly correct (but still MapDrive has better maps than in apk) - I'm just little worried about longer trips.