TomTom Runner 3 Not Showing full charge?

Running Man
Running Man Registered Users Posts: 33
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I upgraded my TomTom Runner 2 GPS Watch with Music for a TomTom Runner 3 GPS Watch with Music a couple of years ago.

To make sure my TomTom Runner 3 GPS Watch with Music would last my long trail runs (4 hours +) I decided to use both watches using my TomTom Runner 2 GPS Watch just for the music / playlists etc.

This has proved very successful: running a trail run earlier on in the year lasting over 4 hours. (Both watches lasting the duration)

Now last week my TomTom Runner 3 Watch only lasted 6 miles.
Fully charged I ran this morning with both watches recording my run with the TomTom Runner 2 again playing just my Music.

Just before I finished 13.5 miles - again the TomTom Runner 3 battery fully depleted... :(

I did a factory reset on the TomTom Runner 3 tonight and fully charged it....

Notice the pictures enclosed...

Although the TomTom Runner 3 GPS Watch with Music shows fully charged initially; as soon as I disconnect the charging cable the watch instantly loses a small percentage of charge.

Does the mean the battery is starting to fail?

I know support for these watches is no longer.

Has anybody successfully replaced a battery in these watches?
If so where is the best place to buy a new battery - and info on how to replace etc...

Many thanks for any help...

rtpyfqz8j20u.jpeg
4czbdp2oq19t.png
kck61mvuj6ov.jpeg

Tagged:

Best Answer

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Losing a small percent of the charge is normal, the meter is representational and is not that precise. As the battery ages it is unable to hold as much charge so it shows full when plugged in as it is using power from the outlet, not the battery. When you unplug it, it checks the battery state and drops a bit. It does indicate the battery is dying but it may last quite a while before it is critical.

Answers

• tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    It could be the battery is depleted but it also may be the dock (and it may very well be both). If it charges when plugged in but dies as soon as it is unplugged it is a depleted battery (when plugged in it is not using the battery and the battery is not actually taking a charge, but as soon as you unplug it, it switched to the dead battery). If it does not charge even when plugged in, it may be the dock. Check if there is there any damage to the pins in the charger or the contacts on the watch. If any of the pins are bent or deformed straighten them out with a pin and make sure the contacts on the back of the watch are free of tarnish or grime. You can replace the battery yourself, TT does not do it, you will need to Google instructions, get special tools, open it to figure out what battery you need (there were multiple batteries used), purchase it, install it, etc. Frankly, you would probably be better off just getting a new watch; there are plenty of brands out there with better feature sets for less money these days (TT Sports went out of business almost 4 years ago).
  • Running Man
    Master Explorer
    What is the meaning of a depleted battery?
    ✓ "dead battery" The charge in the battery has been used up. It has no more power.

Just to repeat as you will see from pictures and my above statement my battery is not depleted...
    It drops a small percentage of charge when fully charged and then I remove the charger cable...(I have more than one cable and it happens no matter which cable I use)

Probably time to look at another battery or another up to date watch...

Thanks...
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Losing a small percent of the charge is normal, the meter is representational and is not that precise. As the battery ages it is unable to hold as much charge so it shows full when plugged in as it is using power from the outlet, not the battery. When you unplug it, it checks the battery state and drops a bit. It does indicate the battery is dying but it may last quite a while before it is critical.
  • Running Man
    Master Explorer
    Yes like any other battery; overtime the battery will hold less and less charge unfortunately...
  • HvdW
    HvdW Registered Users Posts: 41
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I have a similar problem with my secondhand Runner 3.
    It ran out of juice faster than my Runner 2 (no music, no heart rate), 6h 55m
    So I bought a new battery from Aliexpress.
    Now it doesn't show being fully charged like in the pictures above.
    v3l8w3xkg9mg.jpg
    Plus that it lasts less long than the Runner 2 like before.
    ubxepjx1jf60.jpg

I can accept that Ali has been cheating about mAh, I cannot accept that this new battery lasts as long as the original battery, so I'm going to complain over there.

Still, how can I reset the Runner 3 to display the correct battery charge state?
    Full decharge and a full reste maybe?
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    HvdW wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with my secondhand Runner 3.
    It ran out of juice faster than my Runner 2 (no music, no heart rate), 6h 55m
    So I bought a new battery from Aliexpress.
    Now it doesn't show being fully charged like in the pictures above.
    v3l8w3xkg9mg.jpg
    Plus that it lasts less long than the Runner 2 like before.
    ubxepjx1jf60.jpg

I can accept that Ali has been cheating about mAh, I cannot accept that this new battery lasts as long as the original battery, so I'm going to complain over there.

Still, how can I reset the Runner 3 to display the correct battery charge state?
    Full decharge and a full reste maybe?

You can try it and see if that helps. Once you replaced the battery you voided any warranty and support options so there is not much else to do. It may be the battery is not ever taking a full charge or it may be that it is not the same size battery as was in the watch previously so the watch will not fully calibrate it. That gauge is meant as a rough estimate at best so I would go by how much battery life the watch gets, not what the gauge says.