Why is Serena English pronunciation so bad?

LivfossDrive
LivfossDrive Registered Users Posts: 1
Apprentice Seeker
I find Serena often distorts simple English words like “church” or anything with two vowels in it. This is definitely intended to be an English voice, so what's wrong? Can't find anything in the discussions or FAQ that helps with this or suggests what to do.

Comments

• ajuk
    ajuk Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Only occurred since latest update. Rs are pronounced with a Dutch accent. Very off-putting so I've changed voice to a recorded one rather than computer generated.
  • Bulfinch
    Bulfinch Registered Users Posts: 11
    Legendary Explorer
    Come on TomTom! One of the most basic and important features of a decent satnav is clear voice guidance. The mispronunciation of ‘R’ is not only ridiculously annoying but is often making place names incomprehensible. You don’t even acknowledge this as a problem yet you still roll out often unnecessary updates which show you’re just tinkering with the software instead of correcting the essentials. I presume this is just an issue of course on the English Serena version.
  • Nimbus_27
    Nimbus_27 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    I am finding the latest version of TomTom Serena to be equal or worse than the last version, I assumed incorrectly that the mispronunciation would be rectified. How wrong was I, even my local destination's are incompressible, how a visitor to the UK would find their way I don't know. As Bulfinch says TomTom don't appear to acknowledge there is a problem .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    Serena is the best one yet for the voices though it does talk too fast on some street names, though it is good enough.
  • Plandon
    Plandon Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    According to Serena OXFORD is now OXFERRY. WATFORD is WATFERRY, AMERSHAM is AMERISHAM and CHILTERN is CHILTREN.
    A cure for this impediment would be welcome.
  • Nimbus_27
    Nimbus_27 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same in my part of the country, seems like TomTom don't recognise this issue
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    TTS voice Serena mispronouncing street names is a known issue. We have open tickets for both, iOS and Android. But it first needs to be fixed in the map.
  • CamIOW
    CamIOW Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi, I'm using the latest version with my iPhone 12 Pro and linked to my Volvo via USB cable to activate CarPlay. I'm using the computer generated Serena voice and the is continually mis-pronouncing the street or place names. Generally it seems tobe when the name has a R in the middle somewhere such as Oxford, North, Central etc. The spoken work seems to stutter at the R point and then sound ridiculous.
    I've tried to swap to the Jane voice which works fine but with that voice you don't get street names or spoken speed camera warnings etc.
    This problem appeared several months ago and does not appear to have been cured on the latest update.
    Is there a fix for this or will there be an update soon to cure the problem?
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    @CamIOW
    I merged your post with this thread regarding Serena voice issues. It's unfortunately a known issue.
  • Annelida
    Annelida Registered Users Posts: 9
    Master Traveler
    Jürgen wrote: »
    @CamIOW
    I merged your post with this thread regarding Serena voice issues. It's unfortunately a known issue.

It's good to hear it's a known issue, but can we expect a fix? It can be funny, when you are in familiar surroundings, but it certainly isn't when you are further afield. Any timescale - earlier versions worked better , if not perfectly.
  • Shropper
    Shropper Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    Nothing new to add, but is there any update on this known issue evolving into a solved issue? The lack of clarity as Bullfinch pointed out somewhat diminishes the effectiveness of a satnav and has caused some real world confusion, well my world which is close to real!
  • Jürgen
    Community Manager
    This is something we're not able to fix as quickly as we wish but we're working on it. In the meantime, perhaps using an English computer voice from another region is an option even though that's not ideal.
  • HommeBlanc
    HommeBlanc Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Explorer
    I’ve just dittoed some of the posts above as I’m getting the same pronunciations when using Serena. One of favourites (said tongue in cheek!) is CHERTSEY, to which Serene pronounces CHER-RITZ-EY. It’s a shame this is happening as it spoils a good satnav.
  • PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 388
    Supreme Pioneer
    Many years ago, back in 2010 IIRC, TomTom PNDs used Loquendo for TTS. This was back when the TomTom files were accessible to the user, and somebody found a solution for the pronunciation. I think mainly for UK road names/numbers.

Could TomTom introduce an 'override' .txt file that users could edit, listing place names and their phonetic spellings?

Regards,
  • Annelida
    Master Traveler
    Choices of english speaking computer voices seem limited. The Australian voice, Karen, isn't too bad and has managed to pronounce 'church', 'court' and 'Hanworth' correctly today. I don't know if the new app version, 3.0 makes any difference to Serena.
    Does anyone know where the release notes for app version 3.0 are?
  • Annelida
    Master Traveler
    Tried Karen today, unfortunately she couldn't pronounce 'Twickenham' intelligibly. Will persevere, but am pessimistic.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    The best way to workaround is to use a different voice for now, and use your visuals , knowledge to understand when to turn next. They will probably have to update the way the AI is done to speak every word now to make sure its' better next time. It's best to let that all process so it will be even better the next time
  • Andy_Bushman
    Andy_Bushman Registered Users Posts: 13
    Legendary Explorer
    I hope there is a fix soon. Good entertainment though heating a computer getting words wrong!