My GO PREMIUM X has suddenly stopped working and won't switch on

WTAlly
WTAlly Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I've just had the strangest chat with TomTom Customer Services which in my mind was contradictory and so as they could not provide clear information, I wonder if someone here can.

I've had this device since June 2019. During that time I must have used it about 12 times. When I do, I plug it into the car charger and use it that way. I never run it straight on battery.

The question I have is whether it runs off the car charger or only the battery?

I am told that the reason that it won't turn on is that the battery is drained. This is even though when I switched it off this morning the battery indicator showed it was fully charged. There was about 7 minutes between switching it off and returning to it that it that Customer Services concluded the battery became was drained of power and died. They also said the car charger is not powerful enough to charge to the battery and so it must be always be charged from a mains socket.

Can someone explain how it works to me please? The above explanation is as believable as Santa Claus!

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Hi @WTAlly

The GO Premium units were supplied with a Cig Car Charger that is more than capable of meeting the units power demand during use and topping up the battery at the same time.

It is true to say that if the device is not used for some time then the lifetime of the battery will be adversely affected. as any period with the battery in a flat condition is detrimental to the battery life. Whilst this means that trying to use the unit whilst disconnected from a power supply can become limited when connected to a power source the unit should operate normally.

I would try charging the unit for at least 2 hours using an Apple or similar mains phone charger that takes the USB cable and then you can see how long it will work disconnected from a power source. If it is limited, I think 1 hour is normal for a new unit, then you can see how much the battery is failing. If you find that there is an issue then you could look at the videos on Youtube showing how to replace a battery and if you feel confident do it yourself being aware that you will negate any warrantee you may have which as you have had the unit since at least 2019 is long gone.

Doug
  • WTAlly
    WTAlly Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    edited October 2021
    Douglas,

The whole point is that this unit is NEVER used on battery only..

I have charged it for the last two hours and still nothing. It won't turn on so clearly that is not the problem.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Hi @WTAlly

Could you try the following with the unit on a Power source .

Press and hold the ON/Off button in for 20 seconds plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go.

Doug