Lifetime map and traffic updates?

fausto
fausto Registered Users Posts: 15
Master Explorer
Do any current new Tomtom satnavs have lifetime map and traffic updates included in the initial purchase?

All the sales blurb is ambiguous on this subject.

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @fausto

Limitations are given as follows on the TT website

Most up-to-date TomTom World Maps
    3X faster map updates via built-in WiFi*
    TomTom Traffic
    NEW Large HD screen (for 7")
    1-year Live Speed Cameras
    NEW 1-year Live fuel pricing info
    NEW 1-year Live off-street parking info

No limitation against Traffic or Maps. Regarding Maps they offer their World maps which means that you can download specific Tomtom maps other than the regional map that will be on it depending on where you purchase the device. Any map that you choose to add to the unit from the world map list is its latest version bearing in mind that at any time you can delete maps from the devices as they are no longer needed thus releasing space but can be restored if needed again..

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @fausto

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/car-gps-sat-nav/

I don't know what the fees will be when the year periods run out but I assume along the lines of the sort of charges they currently make for those units that require a subscription for the services..

Doug

Answers

• Jim07
    Jim07 Administrators Posts: 4,381
    Hello @fausto

Yes our devices come with free maps and traffic, as you can see on the comparison charts https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/car-gps-sat-nav#compare

Regards,

Jim
  • fausto
    Master Explorer
    The chart in your link does not explicitly and unequivocally state that the map and traffic updates are included in the purchase price AND for life. That is what I am asking.

"lifetime" is never mentioned and the only time "updates" are mentioned is where it says updates are available via wifi.

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @fausto

I think you will find that TT and other makers of similar devices have stopped using the term "Lifetime" since the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission raised a query regarding what it means. Some individuals took the term to mean their personal lifetime not just the lifetime of the individual device.

The latest devices show limitations on the duration of free services, ie 3 moths or 12 months, against specific services whilst nothing is set as a limitation against Maps regarding "Lifetime'. It should be noted that whilst Tomtom have declared some old units obsolete, as they generally have 2gb of internal memory or less and in many cases have no extra memory facility, they are still offering updated map facilities for those units that were sold with a "Lifetime' offer.

Doug
  • fausto
    Master Explorer
    So I'll re-phrase the question:

Do any current new Tomtom satnavs have map and traffic updates included in the initial purchase for the life of the product ?

The sales blurb is not at all clear on this subject.

e.g. For the GO Discover, the New Live services (fuel prices, off-street parking, EV POIs)​ is mentioned but with no duration stated

• DougLap
    Superuser
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @fausto

Most up-to-date TomTom World Maps
    3X faster map updates via built-in WiFi*
    TomTom Traffic
    NEW Large HD screen (for 7")

No limitation against Traffic or Maps. Regarding Maps they offer their World maps which means that you can download specific Tomtom maps other than the regional map that will be on it depending on where you purchase the device. Any map that you choose to add to the unit from the world map list is its latest version bearing in mind that at any time you can delete maps from the devices as they are no longer needed thus releasing space but can be restored if needed again..

Doug
  • fausto
    Master Explorer
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @fausto

I do take your word for it, but, out of curiosity, can you post a link to the above. I can't see it anywhere. Sorry.

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @fausto

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/car-gps-sat-nav/

I don't know what the fees will be when the year periods run out but I assume along the lines of the sort of charges they currently make for those units that require a subscription for the services..

Doug