Do I need a chest strap to use heart rate monitor on a Runner 2 music edition? — TomTom Community

Do I need a chest strap to use heart rate monitor on a Runner 2 music edition?

EarpmeisterEarpmeister Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi everyone. I have a tom tom runner 2 watch which I think is the music edition. I need to start using a heart rate monitor and mine seems to have one built in. Do I need an additional chest strap for this model?

Best Answer

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,808
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Are you sure you have a Cardio version? Are there LEDs on the back and when you press down and go to About does it say "cardio" at the top? If so, is it set for internal under Sensor>Heart (it should say On, not External)? If it is not a Cardio model you will need to use an external strap to get HR.

If yours is an HR model then you do not need to use a separate chest strap, although the wrist based heart rate is less than ideal on certain activities. External straps are valuable for certain exercise but have their own inherent limitations as well. Wrist based sensors are greatly impacted by forearm tension and flexing, so any sport that involves that (weight lifting, rowing, cycling - when you bear down on the handlebars) will be impacted as you are compressing the blood vessels and reducing blood flow. For these activities I use a strap. For other activities like running, indoor cycling, cardio, etc., I find the wrist based sensor to be accurate when compared to a strap (you may see issues with spikes in HR at the beginning of a run if you are not warmed up as the watch grabs the strongest signal, which may actually be your cadence, not your HR).

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,808
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Are you sure you have a Cardio version? Are there LEDs on the back and when you press down and go to About does it say "cardio" at the top? If so, is it set for internal under Sensor>Heart (it should say On, not External)? If it is not a Cardio model you will need to use an external strap to get HR.

If yours is an HR model then you do not need to use a separate chest strap, although the wrist based heart rate is less than ideal on certain activities. External straps are valuable for certain exercise but have their own inherent limitations as well. Wrist based sensors are greatly impacted by forearm tension and flexing, so any sport that involves that (weight lifting, rowing, cycling - when you bear down on the handlebars) will be impacted as you are compressing the blood vessels and reducing blood flow. For these activities I use a strap. For other activities like running, indoor cycling, cardio, etc., I find the wrist based sensor to be accurate when compared to a strap (you may see issues with spikes in HR at the beginning of a run if you are not warmed up as the watch grabs the strongest signal, which may actually be your cadence, not your HR).