My TomTom turns off frequently, then after some time turns on again. — TomTom Community

My TomTom turns off frequently, then after some time turns on again.

This happens more and more frequently, putting me in very unpleasant situations. Why does this happen? Can it be fixed?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,059
    Superusers
    edited October 5
    Hi
    @seingalt
    Welcome to the site....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when I 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device....
    I always turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates....
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1763247/#Comment_1763247

Some users have reported that logging out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the device is beneficial....
    I have multiple Tomtom devices, so I have always logged out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the devices by default (So I can't comment if it's beneficial or not) ???
    Logging out of MyDrive fix for Multiple device using one Account
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1725859/#Comment_1725859
    I guess the fewer Data Connections in use on the device, at any one time, the less load on system resources ???

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • seingaltseingalt Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you very much. Your suggestion is very interesting. However, by clicking "forget" I only eliminate the connection I am using at home. The wifi itself apparently can't be eliminated and remains in a "potential" state.
  • GrumpftlGrumpftl Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I had the same behaviour - reboot nearly every min (getting dark, then it's starting up again).
    Finaly a "reset to default" and re-entering everything new (tomtom account, settings etc.) helped.
    So you may try that....

Greetings
    Grumpftl
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,059
    Superusers
    edited October 10
    Hi
    @seingalt
    seingalt wrote: »
    Thank you very much. Your suggestion is very interesting. However, by clicking "forget" I only eliminate the connection I am using at home. The wifi itself apparently can't be eliminated and remains in a "potential" state.
    Yes.....
    As in my initial post, I have Multiple Tomtom devices and have always logged out of MyDrive in the device Settings Menu....
    My Wi-Fi GO premium was quite laggy & occasionally crashed.... But since I 'Forgot' the Wi-Fi in the setting menus, it's been OK....

Old post maybe interesting... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1117134/how-to-turn-off-wi-fi-transmission

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    This solution looks very reasonable, but I am not sure that after "reset to default" (in my Italian TomTom: "ripristina dispositivo") I shall be able to re-enter all the previous data (maps and the rest). Could you show me the step by step procedure I should follow? Grazie!
    The only effective solution has been in fact "ripristina" (recover) from the menu of the device itself (Go Premium 6). There has been no need to re-install anything (apart from "Language" and so on). Even the positions selected previously were there. I should add that the TomTom video on YouTube has been of no help (or worse...). My final comment is: may a major company like TomTom abandon its customers and only count on the kindness of the Forum? I would have wished to receive an official response to my query by TomTom itself, as for example Apple does. Thank you very much to the Forum for their kind help!
  • malcs3malcs3 Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have a problem that my Go Premium continually freezes then restarts over and over. I found that if i turn the My Drive syncing OFF on the device then it sorts out the problem. But it means I cannot connect to the My Drive app on my phone!! And the reply I keep getting is to try a new account....which means I lose all my stored places etc. 3 of my friends have exactly the same issue. TomTom need to correct the issue with a software update, as it is not my account that's faulty but the software. My device works perfectly if the syncing to MyDrive is OFF
    Thank you. I will bear it in mind for the next shortcomings, which are likely to come...