TomTom Start erased

suckeredbytomtom
suckeredbytomtom Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
I went to update my GPS and got the message that it can no longer be updated. BUT, WORSE THAN THAT, the device was completely erased and is now useless. When I but a new device, I'll go with another brand.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,821
    Superuser
    Hi @suckeredbytomtom

What model Start unit do you have and what are the first 2 characters of the serial number.

Doug
  • suckeredbytomtom
    suckeredbytomtom Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    Model 4EF00

G24
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,112
    Superuser
    @suckeredbytomtom

Can you recheck the first 2 charaters as
    "GT">START 40 (2012), 2GB, TomTom HOME NAV2 Eol
    "GU">START 50 (2012) / 55, 2GB, TomTom HOME NAV2 Eol
    "GY">START 45, 4GB, TomTom HOME NAV2
    "GZ">START 50 (2012) / 55, 4GB, TomTom HOME NAV2
    If it is the first 2 see https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/obsolete-products/#car
  • samysam
    samysam Registered Users Posts: 7
    New Seeker
    I went to update my GPS and got the message that it can no longer be updated. BUT, WORSE THAN THAT, the device was completely erased and is now useless. When I but a new device, I'll go with another brand.

The same thing just happened to me. TomTom Home says it will keep working but now it won't even turn on. All I get is a message that I need to connect it and download the update. However when I try to do that I get a message on TomTom Home that it won't fit. It tells me to move items such as voices and vehicles, etc. to my computer to free up space. I ticked all the items but the continue button is greyed out and doesn't work. Then I tried to pick the smallest sized maps and it tells me it will fit on my TomTom. I try to install that and I get an error message. Not impressed. I needed it to go somewhere and now I'll have to go the old fashioned way with a map. How is it that the maps fit before and now they are too big. Were that many roads added in the last few weeks? I bet they do this crap to make us buy a new one. Well, if I have to buy a new one, it won't be with TomTom. Why can we not have a way to download the older map we already had? Now the damn thing is useless and it was working just fine till TomTom screwed it up.