Does the Go Discover range contain a SIM? — TomTom Community

Does the Go Discover range contain a SIM?

Duncan WilliamsDuncan Williams Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
Does the Go Discover range contain a SIM?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,875
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @“Duncan Williams”

The current releases do not have a Sim installed and there have been no indications that Sim models will follow.

Doug
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 16,518
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    A clear NO.
    Discover and Expert are only BYOC devices and must paired with a Smartphone or a WIFI Network

Answers

Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @“Duncan Williams”

The current releases do not have a Sim installed and there have been no indications that Sim models will follow.

Doug
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    A clear NO.
    Discover and Expert are only BYOC devices and must paired with a Smartphone or a WIFI Network
  • Duncan WilliamsDuncan Williams Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you for your rapid responses. I have a Go 620 that connects to my smart phone via bluetooth but, frankly, it seems to be somewhat arbitrary as to whether the kit hooks up with my phone or not - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - it's driving me nuts (and makes my wife laugh when she sees me (an electronics engineer) losing my temper with a piece of electronic kit). Hey ho, I'll just have to persevere:)
    Superusers
    Which smartphone model do you have? Android/ Apple?
    With Apple are known problems when you pair it with the MyDrive app via QR code.
    As a workaround you can pair it without the MyDrive app, but then you have to activate Bluetooth tethering(Android) or Hotspot(apple). It is worth a try if you have good nerves and time to try it
    Superuser
    edited September 23
    Hi @“Duncan Williams”

To emphasis what @Lochfrass has said try the following if you have an IPhone.

Delete your current Bluetooth pairings on both the Phone and the TT unit then turn them both Off and On.

On the phone go to Settings and turn the Personal Hotspot option On.
    Now go to Bluetooth in the TT units Settings and Tap Add a Phone.
    Tap GO620 when it appears at the bottom on the Phones Bluetooth screen
    Accept the pairings offered on the phone and TT unit

The units will now be paired and you MUST remember to have the Personal Hotspot Option turned On as well as the Bluetooth Option when connected to the TT unit.

At no time will you be asked for the Personal Hotspots Password but should you turn the option Off you will lose the connection.

Since the introduction of IOS13 the involvement of the MyDrive App in the Bluetooth pairing process has not worked and so you do not need My Drive to be open on the Phone whilst connected to the TT unit.

Doug
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,536
    Superusers
    Quick buy a GO premium device!
  • Duncan WilliamsDuncan Williams Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
    Many thanks for the advice. It's all been very helpful and informative.
    Duncan