GO Discover - Camera Update? — TomTom Community

GO Discover - Camera Update?

John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 725 [Revered Pioneer]
I've had this GO Discover 7" for one month! As yet I have NOT been offered any Speed Camera Updates!

I have NOT found any information that advises whether these are updated via a Wifi Connection (similar to the Maps) or whether this is automatically carried out via the Smartphone Connection (similar to Traffic Updates)!

Can anyone advise?

Best Answer

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,711 Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi John
    The updates for speed cameras are included in our regular weekly updates.
    Information also available on our support article here- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959559

-Vikram :)
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 725 [Revered Pioneer]
    Many thanks, @VikramK !
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi John
    The updates for speed cameras are included in our regular weekly updates.

-Vikram :)

Have to ask:-
    WHAT WEEKLY UPDATES??

I purchased this device on 12th Aug &, obviously, had a Full-Map update to download before I could use it. Very shortly after that I was then offered the new "Latest Version" of the Maps (i.e. another full download).

Not long after that (& before I raised my query) I was then offered a partial update!

It has been nearly a month since I was offered that update & I have NOT seen any more updates since that time!!

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 16,519
    Superusers
    edited October 6
    If I am not completely wrong, the camera warnings come over the mobile connection together with the traffic data.
    You can check this by planning a route past a fixed camera. It will be displayed in the route bar about 5 km before.
    Then disconnect the mobile data connection (flight mode on the smartphone).
    I would expect (and so it is with me) that the camera suddenly disappears and is not warned.
    When you re-establish the mobile data and the connection to Discover, it takes a short time and the camera is displayed again.
    @Lochfrass , I'll check that out tomorrow!

However @VikramK did imply that they bare part of the Weekly Updates, which I'm not getting!
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,355 [Exalted Pioneer]
    Updating speed camera locations on your navigation GO Discover & GO Expert

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959559#h_01FE3MKD01S1WD7CE7W0NCPQ15
    @Willy875 ,

Thank you for that useful information!

Hence, my question now simply becomes:- Why don't I get Weekly Updates?

Let's hope that @VikramK will provide some clarification shortly!
    @Jürgen , @lampard , @VikramK ,

Would it be possible to receive some clarification as to why I'm NOT getting Weekly Updates (neither Maps or Speed Cameras), please?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,711 Moderator
    edited October 11
    Hi @John-Jay
    Sorry about my late reply. I am checking with my team about the delayed weekly map updates.

Which map regions have you installed?

As @Lochfrass mentioned, Speed Camera are a part of TomTom Services (over-the-air) so they also get updated real-time (in the background) when driving on a planned route.

Regards,
    Vikram.

I have Europe Maps installed (as per original purchase)!

@VikramK ,
    Was offered a full Map update today!

Originally, when I got the Device I was offered a 16GB update (i.e. the Full set of Maps), that was followed by yet another Full Update (16GB), just before I started the original Post (i.e. approx 4 weeks ago), I was offered a partial Update (can't recall the size, but it was less than 1GB).

However, the Update that I was offered today was even larger than the original Full Update - it was 17.1GB!

Hence I really don't understand what is happening!

However, can I also seek clarification over the Speed Cameras?? Originally you stated that they were part of the Weekly updates (presumably supposedly downloaded at the same time as the Map Updates), however @Lochfrass disputed this & suggested it was "Live" Information that was downloaded in the same way as Traffic Information was!

Then @Willy875 supplied a TomTom Link that confirm your original statement - yet now you are also suggesting that it is Live Information!

Could we have this resolved please?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,876
    Superuser
    Hi @John-Jay

There is a known issue whereby map updates can display 0.1mb but the update is actually much larger.

Regarding Speed cameras there is more than one way of getting the information. Fixed cameras are largely integrated into the maps however new cameras, especially mobile ones, are advised to the units via connection to the TT servers as you are travelling. When TT become aware of a mobile camera there is no point waiting for a Map update.

Doug
    Superusers
    @John-Jay
    It may well be that the fixed cameras are already stored in the map material and also updated with the incremental updates.
    I have only noticed that without an internet connection no cameras are displayed.
    It may also be that without an active Internet connection is not checked whether my subscription is still valid and therefore no warning is made.
    I also know this from the Go Navigation app and the previous version Go Mobile. There is / was also warned only with active inline connection.
    I concluded that it is the Discover also so.
    With me, cameras are also shown only in the closer circle (5-10KM) and not further away. That would solidify my suspicion

It may also be that it is handled differently from country to country, depending on whether camera warnings are allowed or prohibited.

I guess we will never know how the engineers programmed it. But as long as it works, I don't really care.
    Only when I'm not warned about a camera do I start researching what could be the cause.
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Hi @Lochfrass

I have just tried on my GO Discover and with the Wifi and Bluetooth turned Off when I do a Route Preview on a road 106 miles from where I am the Fixed Cameras are showing up. I will keep an eye on it though.

Stay safe.

Doug
    Superusers
    Very interesting observation @DougLap
    I just deleted my wifi connection so that Traffic and MyDrive are crossed.
    Then simulated a route. No cameras are then displayed to me.
    Maybe they are not included in the German map material since use is only at your own risk.

Thanks for the inormation
    Superusers
    @DougLap and all others in this Thread.
    I have checked it now with a route in the Nederlands Map and there i got warnings in Routpreview without an internetconnection.

So both Variants are now confirmed, that the cameras are in the Maps (where allowed) and come online where not allowed (but can be used at your own risk.)

Thanks for this useful info .
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Hi

The route I tested was the A338 running East out of Bournemouth.

Doug.
    Superusers
    Indeed i can see there 2 fixed cams and 1 average control cam with and also without Internet connection.
    I think you have clarified the questions here. Good work :+1:

If some users here have boredom or a rainy day they can check German cameras without Internet connection to Discover
    MyDrive link from a rout with camera
    Or coordinates: Start 53.081364, 7.523795 End: 53.075853, 7.522633
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Hi @Lochfrass

Just tried that route. When I press Route preview I get the warning about Speed Camera notifications in Germany but when the Route Preview approaches the crossing of Gronewoldstrasse a Speed Camera is shown and advised.

Doug
    Superusers
    Without internet connection too?
    Superuser
    Hi @Lochfrass

I definitely had Wifi disconnect when I did it before and I am sure I had turned Off Bluetooth however now when I try No cameras. :#:#

Doug
    Superusers
    Many thanks for checking it..

we can learn a lot here in the forum. Just a few more weeks and we'll be smarter than the engineers at TomTom :p
    Superuser
    Weeks!!!!!! 😂😂