no SD memory card slot

timi9003
timi9003 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
Hi, just purchased my second tomtom sat nav (previous one was a pretty old model couple of yers ago which had an SD card slot) Go expert 7” and now I have 8gb memory available and 16gb of updates awaiting. As it is intended for professional truck drivers I expected it to have an option of adding extra memory space but just found out it doesn’t have an SD card slot! I’m pretty disappointed in that and was wondering if there is any solution I’m missing? Many thanks

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @timi9003

I think you will find that the GO Expert has 32gb of internal memory, like the Car version the GO Discover I have, and no facility to add an extra memory card.

I assume the idea is that 32gb is plenty to enable you to download for example all the maps of Europe and still have spare capacity. The way the unit works for the Car unit, so I am assuming the GO Expert is similar, is that rather than downloading say 45 countries as the old units did with no option to do otherwise you can now just download the specific European countries that you need provided you include all the regions you will need to pass through to reach your destination. So for example if you are never going to Italy then no need to download it however it is available if required. Also provided you have WIFI access you can delete and add countries as circumstances change so you can set the device up to cover your exact requirements.

Regarding updates you are only offered updates for the specific countries you have on the device and the idea is that if you have 16gb of updates then that is to replace the existing circa 16gb of mapping not in addition to. Once you have completed the updating the unit should return to approximately the same level of Free Memory that it had before you started updating less the additional new info the updates have added to the maps.

Doug

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,454
    Revered Voyager
    hello The Go expert has 32 GB of internal memory.
  • timi9003
    Apprentice Traveler
    @nabu
    just took mine out of the box and set it up today, it says i have now 6.25gb available after only updating the UK maps. I frequently travel through Europe so I need to have many countries updated however there’s still 14.4gb of updates left. How is that thought through? You can have lifetime updates but you won’t have the spaces to do them? sorry for being bitter but feels like i’ve flushed my money down the drain :/

• Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    It might not be the Go expert you bought an error in the box it's possible.
  • nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    edited September 2021
    timi9003 wrote: »
    @nabu
    just took mine out of the box and set it up today, it says i have now 6.25gb available after only updating the UK maps. I frequently travel through Europe so I need to have many countries updated however there’s still 14.4gb of updates left. How is that thought through? You can have lifetime updates but you won’t have the spaces to do them? sorry for being bitter but feels like i’ve flushed my money down the drain :/

16 GB of memory is not the expert

but hey ... you must be able to add a 32gb mini sd card
  • timi9003
    Apprentice Traveler
    9jo4ij97ji8g.jpg
    mp9531h4gk65.jpg
    utane5cqqhdw.jpg
    oixdpz00sscp.jpg
    vd80x8rwiref.jpg
    sm0khx4eicbf.jpg
  • timi9003
    Apprentice Traveler
    It doesn't say anything about memory on the box... how people would know what they are buying. But anyway I will return get my money back and buy from another company, something with expandable memory....
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Question On the GPS, does the 2 letter of the serial number correspond to the serial number written on the box?
  • timi9003
    Apprentice Traveler
    Willy875
    Thank you for your reply.
    I will have a look after work. I didnt think about that
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @timi9003

I think you will find that the GO Expert has 32gb of internal memory, like the Car version the GO Discover I have, and no facility to add an extra memory card.

I assume the idea is that 32gb is plenty to enable you to download for example all the maps of Europe and still have spare capacity. The way the unit works for the Car unit, so I am assuming the GO Expert is similar, is that rather than downloading say 45 countries as the old units did with no option to do otherwise you can now just download the specific European countries that you need provided you include all the regions you will need to pass through to reach your destination. So for example if you are never going to Italy then no need to download it however it is available if required. Also provided you have WIFI access you can delete and add countries as circumstances change so you can set the device up to cover your exact requirements.

Regarding updates you are only offered updates for the specific countries you have on the device and the idea is that if you have 16gb of updates then that is to replace the existing circa 16gb of mapping not in addition to. Once you have completed the updating the unit should return to approximately the same level of Free Memory that it had before you started updating less the additional new info the updates have added to the maps.

Doug
  • randomgreg
    randomgreg Registered Users Posts: 9
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have to disagree! Learned by experience. If you have 20 Gb on Expert and update (to replace these 20 Gb) is also 20Gb - it will NOT update, as it needs 40Gb for this update to happen. Yes, it would remove the unneeded 20 later, but during the process it has not enough memory for 5he update to happen!
    I had to delete some countries, update what left, then reinstall the deleted countries, and update them. It is ridiculous process and it has to be done because tomtom decided to save money on adding the dmaned sd card slot? WHY?
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @timi9003

Doug

• DougLap
    Superuser
    edited January 20
    Hi @randomgreg

I have loaded updates that are bigger than the maps on my device and greater than the available free memory. I have just Tapped Update all and left the unit alone until it had completed the activity. It clearly downloads some then deletes some to facilitate the next tranche. Note that if after some time the Download All button seems to be no longer greyed but as you first pressed it do nothing and it will returned to greyed out as it starts the next tranche.

Doug

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,833
     Superuser
    edited January 21
    Hi
    @randomgreg
    randomgreg wrote: »
    I have to disagree! Learned by experience. If you have 20 Gb on Expert and update (to replace these 20 Gb) is also 20Gb - it will NOT update, as it needs 40Gb for this update to happen. Yes, it would remove the unneeded 20 later, but during the process it has not enough memory for the update to happen!
    I had to delete some countries, update what left, then reinstall the deleted countries, and update them. It is ridiculous process and it has to be done because Tomtom decided to save money on adding the SD card slot? WHY?
    I've not experienced having a 'Not enough memory' problem when updating the Maps on my GO Discover...
    But I seem to recall there may have been a bug/glitch somehow affecting Map installation on the early GO Discover devices ???
    But I'm sure it was fixed in a NAVCORE update...

I now delete all Maps using the Reset Maps Option (GO Discover & Go Expert only)...
    I have always had the full Western Europe Map installed on My GO Discover, but I did find manually installing the individual Countries & Regions a pain....
    I much prefer Map Update using MyDrive Connect.......So, I decided to use 'Reset' (Remove) the Maps and only installed the UK Map....

Reset the map and install the UK Map....
    Method...
    (1)... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> System --> Reset map....
    (2)... Read the on-screen 'Warning' and follow the on-screen 'Instructions'
    (3)... When the Map has been 'Reset'
    (4)... The device reports --> The map is reset, Your device must be restarted --> Tap 'OK' --> The device restarts....
    (5)... The device reports... 'You need to add at least one Map area to start' + 'Add map area' --> Tap 'Add map area' button
    (6)... Tap 'Add' Button (Screen bottom right)
    (7)... Scroll to 'Europe' and select Europe
    (8)... Scroll to UK and select UK
    (9)... Tap 'Download (1)' (Number obviously varies with the number of Maps selected)
    (10)... The Device downloads the UK Map
    (11)… The device reports Adding changes to Map
    (12)… The device opens the normal startup screen... Latest UK Map installed OK...

You can of course install as many other Counties & Regions Maps from the World Map collection as you require :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM