Have the following problem with my GO Discover 6

jeu38
jeu38 Registered Users Posts: 13
Master Explorer
edited September 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I wanted to send the email below to TOMTOM , but that did not work , no address can be found . I also had a similar problem on Tuesday last in Venlo .
I think this problem is crucial . I have been using car navigation for 18 years , previously always MIO , have crossed almost all of Europe and never had such a problem .
All those years and rarely used a road map.
This problem with the TOMTOM has taken away my confidence in this device. If this is not resolved quickly, I want to return the device and go to

To TOMTOM,

My GO DISCOVER does not seem to work correctly . The map often shows a large area, with very little detail of where you are actually driving. eg. this afternoon : I was at the station in Duisburg and the screen remains at the size as it was on the A67 . Fortunately I know a bit about the situation there and it wasn't busy on Sunday afternoon, but if you do this in a strange, unknown place, it can lead to dangerous situations. I expect a consistent automatic adjustment of the screen to the environment in which you drive. It is not the intention that you touch the screen with spreading fingers while driving to get more detail and to make matters worse, slide the place where you are driving off the screen. I have been able to use the device very little since July 21 and in the beginning due to circumstances. Bought from coolblue order no. 55743940 Snr. ZVxxxxx86 . Please answer quickly.
Best regards,
Mathijs Steeghs

Mod edit: Machine translated (Dutch)

Best Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,833
     Superuser
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @jeu38
    I use the Zoom based on road type... I don't like viewing Rural roads with the view from the International Space Station....
    I also use 2D driving view (I hate the 3D driving view)
    Also, with the 2D driving view you can see most if not all the Side roads displayed....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jeu38
    Master Explorer
    Good morning YamFazMan,
    Now I have to apologize to you . I was under the impression that you are an employee of TOMTOM . But you are a forum participant .
    Excuse me .
    Thank you for your response.

• jeu38
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    Niall wrote: »
    @jeu38
    I can replicate the screen you illustrate, if you arrive at a point very near to your destination but not actually there and do not tap the X on the popup, the device then nags you to go back to the exact point until you do.
    In your example 15Km round trip did you set an A to B to A route? Or just an A to B and not bother with setting the return destination?

Dear Niall ,

I made two trips : From A to B and from B to A .
    Today I made a reset as advised by TOMTOM .
    I made 3 trips , one was OK , the other 2 failed with the same problem + mixed Dutch-Englisch language .
    Thanks
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi

Just a thought... Are you near your destination when the problem occurs ???
    I wonder if it could be the 'Automatic Route Clearance' kicking in ???

On the NAV4 and the previous Wi-Fi connected devices, the route is automatically cleared as you near your destination... The Map switches from the selected 'Driving view', to the North-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view from the International Space Station....
    There is not an option to turn off....

I wonder if the same/similar auto route clearance rules also apply to the Tomtom GO Discover ???
    As far as I recall.... Automatic Route Clearance Rules
    (1)… When you arrive to the destination, the route will be cleared (Inside a 50 m radius)

(2)… When the last known location is less than 400 meters from your destination AND it has been more than 120 minutes since the user suspended/turn off the device, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

(3)… When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    HI
    @eu38
    Welcome to the site....
    Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> Map & Display --> Zoom & Orientation....
    Have you tried the Various types of Zoom Options ???
    (1)... Zoom in at Instructions
    (2)... Zoom based on road type
    (3)... No auto zoom

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jeu38
    Master Explorer
    edited September 2021
    Dear YamFazMan,

Navigator was set to "Zoom in on instructions".
    Mi. it should never happen that while driving with navigation the image of the place where you are driving becomes so small that you no longer have a clear overview. And in a densely built-up area, the image must be quite large of the place.

When we left the station , from a parking garage , the picture was optimal .

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @jeu38
    I use the Zoom based on road type... I don't like viewing Rural roads with the view from the International Space Station....
    I also use 2D driving view (I hate the 3D driving view)
    Also, with the 2D driving view you can see most if not all the Side roads displayed....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jeu38
    Master Explorer
    edited September 2021
    Good afternoon YamFazMan ,

Not helped yet. I always use 2D . Also I have already tried all zoom types .

Will try "Zoom by road type" again.
    But again : While driving with navigation, the screen should always be ,
    whatever zoom mode is used , remain clearly and instructively readable for any road type . It often happens that my navigator does not do that properly .
    I want a solution for that.
    If this is not resolved , I will return the device . Driving like this, with this navigator, is too dangerous for me.

Best regards,

Jeu Steeghs

• jeu38
    Master Explorer
    edited September 2021
    Hi YamFazMan,
    Today I have not received an answer to my answer from yesterday .
    Today I did a ~15 km round trip with navigation.
    THE outward journey was well represented by the "GO Discover"' .
    On the way back the Discover went wrong again after ~1.5 km.
    The field on the Discover screen became ~12 x 20 km.

w5ubtml960bl.jpg
    I tried to attach a picture of the screen but it didn't work.
    I would be happy to send it to you by email if you provide the address.
    The route is between Panningen and Meijel (NL). Look on Google.

I find this very dangerous and expect a clear answer from TomTOM immediately. Engage your boss or CEO

Goodbye ,

Mathijs Steeghs.

• jeu38
    Master Explorer
    Good morning YamFazMan,
    Now I have to apologize to you . I was under the impression that you are an employee of TOMTOM . But you are a forum participant .
    Excuse me .
    Thank you for your response.

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @jeu38
    I can replicate the screen you illustrate, if you arrive at a point very near to your destination but not actually there and do not tap the X on the popup, the device then nags you to go back to the exact point until you do.
    In your example 15Km round trip did you set an A to B to A route? Or just an A to B and not bother with setting the return destination?
  • jeu38
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    Niall wrote: »
    @jeu38

Dear Niall ,

I made two trips : From A to B and from B to A .
    Today I made a reset as advised by TOMTOM .
    I made 3 trips , one was OK , the other 2 failed with the same problem + mixed Dutch-Englisch language .
    Thanks
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi

Just a thought... Are you near your destination when the problem occurs ???
    I wonder if it could be the 'Automatic Route Clearance' kicking in ???

On the NAV4 and the previous Wi-Fi connected devices, the route is automatically cleared as you near your destination... The Map switches from the selected 'Driving view', to the North-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view from the International Space Station....
    There is not an option to turn off....

I wonder if the same/similar auto route clearance rules also apply to the Tomtom GO Discover ???
    As far as I recall.... Automatic Route Clearance Rules
    (1)… When you arrive to the destination, the route will be cleared (Inside a 50 m radius)

(2)… When the last known location is less than 400 meters from your destination AND it has been more than 120 minutes since the user suspended/turn off the device, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

(3)… When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jeu38
    Master Explorer
    edited October 2021
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi @ Just think... Bent you close to your destination when the problem occurred ??? I wonder of the 'Automatic Route Clearance' can be which ??? On the NAV4 and the previous wi-fi connected devices, the route is automatically cleared as you curve near your destination... The map switches from the selected driving view to the north-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view of the International Space Station.... There is no option to disable... I wonder if the same/similar rules for clearing autoroutes also apply to the Tomtom GO Discover??? As far as I remember.... Automatic route clearing rules (1)... When you arrive at the destination, the route is cleared (within a radius of 50 m) (2)... When the last known location is at is less than 400 meters from your destination and it has been more than 120 minutes since the user has suspended/turned off the device, the route will be automatically cleared on the device. (3)... When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route is automatically cleared on the device. Stay safe... ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan, With all journeys I make with navigation I start by choosing the destination, I never use intermediate destinations, I never make an A-A journey, so always A to B and then B to A. The day before yesterday I did a "reset to factory settings", on the advice of TOmTom . After that I made three more rides . The first went perfectly. The other two failed again due to the same problems as before. Sometimes the scaling starts at the start, sometimes at an arbitrary point. This almost always lasts until the end of the ride , and then 20 meters before the end point the screen jumped to normal . I immediately reported this with screen shots on TOMTOM. No response for two days. I expected that TOMTOM would have wanted my discover6 back . Discovering this can cause dangerous situations , and I will not be the only one !! Thanks for your comment .
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi @ Just a thought... Bent you close to your destination when the problem arises ??? I wonder of the 'Automatic Route Clearance' can be which ??? On the NAV4 and the previous wi-fi connected devices, the route is automatically cleared as you curve near your destination... The map switches from the selected 'Driving view', to the North-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view from the International Space Station.... There is no option to turn off.... I wonder if the same/similar rules for clearing car routes also apply to the Tomtom GO Discover ??? As far as I remember.... Automatic route clearing rules (1)... When you arrive at the destination, the route is cleared (within a radius of 50 m) (2)... When the last known location is at is less than 400 meters from your destination and it has been more than 120 minutes since the user has suspended/turned off the device, the route will be automatically cleared on the device. (3)... When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route is automatically cleared on the device. Stay safe... ATB YFM
    It is different . Sometimes the problem starts at the beginning of the drive, other times somewhere along the way, and sometimes the screen fixes itself .