Part of road missing in GO Navigation App 3.2.12 (4140)

G_W
G_W Registered Users Posts: 37
Master Explorer
Part of a road connecting Obersteinbach (49.216071, 10.945064) and Mosbach (49.190572, 10.966225) is missing on the map of the app (v 41770) although it is shown on the map of MSR:

7pkzldohbm2j.png
essfkzrvbmer.png

It is not a forestry road but open to all traffic and regularly used by the locals.

As MSR doesn't show the properties that are currently attributed to the various sections of the road I cannot tell why part of the road isn't shown on the app map.

Do you have any information on whether this is a temporary problem with the introduction of new maps or will smaller roads be omitted on a regular basis in the app (which would render it close to unusable)?

Hoping for the best ...
Tagged:

Comments

• szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    G_W wrote: »
    Part of a road connecting Obersteinbach (49.216071, 10.945064) and Mosbach (49.190572, 10.966225) is missing on the map of the app (v 41770) although it is shown on the map of MSR:

7pkzldohbm2j.png
    essfkzrvbmer.png

It is not a forestry road but open to all traffic and regularly used by the locals.

As MSR doesn't show the properties that are currently attributed to the various sections of the road I cannot tell why part of the road isn't shown on the app map.

Do you have any information on whether this is a temporary problem with the introduction of new maps or will smaller roads be omitted on a regular basis in the app (which would render it close to unusable)?

Hoping for the best ...

I will check with the team.
  • G_W
    Master Explorer
    Good morning szachowa,

can you give some kind of provisional information on the issue?
  • szachowa
    edited October 2021
    Good morning szachowa,

Hello @G_W , I will get back to you. I'm checking with the NDS team.

Most probably these roads are considered as backroads, which are filtered out from GONAV map to reduce the map size.
  • dezmo
    dezmo Registered Users Posts: 94
    Revered Navigator
    szachowa wrote: »

Most probably these roads are considered as backroads, which are filtered out from GONAV map to reduce the map size.

There are a lot of these "filtered out" roads in the area where I currently live. (Example in other topics)

They were there in older versions (and are still there on mydrive.tomtom or Sygic maps, for example).

I can’t understand why these "escape routes" gone out. In some cases, they would come in very handy... In my opinion it was a very bad decision to reduce the map sizes because it will degrade their usability a lot!

But, there must be a problem with me if makes me so dissatisfied ... :3
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 83
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Good morning szachowa,

Hello @G_W , I will get back to you. I'm checking with the NDS team.

That's very bad idea to filter out any road :-( . Navigation software is first of all as good as maps used. And the reason is also insane - especially now when devices have more and more memory and internet connections are fast.
  • G_W
    Master Explorer
    Hello szachowa,

I don't want to appear obtrusive but I would still like to learn why this road is missing (and whether the GONAV map will, in future, include all roads open to traffic - which is what I'd expect of a navigation app from a leading manufacturer).
  • szachowa
    Hello szachowa,

I don't want to appear obtrusive but I would still like to learn why this road is missing (and whether the GONAV map will, in future, include all roads open to traffic - which is what I'd expect of a navigation app from a leading manufacturer).

To my knowledge, backroads are excluded during map creation process to reduce the size of the map. We cannot include every single backroad in the map, it would make the map too big.
    If we ever plan to include such roads in the map - I'm very sorry, but I don't have answer to this question.
  • G_W
    Master Explorer
    I wonder how useful it is to include both ends of a road but to leave out the connecting part of about 600 metres. Competitors do have the complete road, as far as I see.
  • mapfanatic
    mapfanatic Registered Users Posts: 2,256
    Revered Voyager
    sorry @szachowa simply sad and unprofessional!
    I am convinced that you can remove certain country-specific roads, but not with the TomTom solution.
  • Bene85
    Bene85 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Explorer

To my knowledge, backroads are excluded during map creation process to reduce the size of the map. We cannot include every single backroad in the map, it would make the map too big.

The old maps had the backroads and the map size was not dramaticaly bigger. Please bring back the backroads and remove the 3D objects instead.
    I wonder how useful it is to include both ends of a road but to leave out the connecting part of about 600 metres. Competitors do have the complete road, as far as I see.

That is what annoys me the most. Why is TomTom unable to do so? It sucks to switch to another app in order to reach some destinations that are not included in TomTom.
  • Test9
    Test9 Registered Users Posts: 279
    Supreme Pioneer
    The old maps had the backroads and the map size was not dramaticaly bigger. Please bring back the backroads and remove the 3D objects instead.

That would be great
  • dezmo
    dezmo Registered Users Posts: 94
    Revered Navigator

To my knowledge, backroads are excluded during map creation process to reduce the size of the map.

Very bad idea. How much size you are talking about? 10% ? 30%?

We cannot include every single backroad in the map, it would make the map too big.

Really? What about the maps with backroads, what you are selling it to e.g. Sygic. I know that maps have better coverage than your over-advertised NDS mistake.
  • G_W
    Master Explorer
    I have been driving in the countryside yesterday. The app guided me over back roads much smaller and "less important" than the one in my OP (I was very pleased with that!).

I wonder by which criteria/algorithm TomTom is deciding which roads are worthy to be included in the map :) . Perhaps the road in the OP lost the connecting 600 metres by chance and not intentionally ;) ...