Rider 550 Display

Jarfoster_11
Jarfoster_11 Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
edited September 2021 in RIDER
Hi. I’ve got a rider 550. When using this with no specific navigation set,the roads appear faint.
Is there a way of making them bold so they can be seen at a glance ?
Clearly this is quite important to see what the roads/ bends are like in advance on a bike.

Answers

• nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    Salut

change the road color and contrast
  • Jarfoster_11
    Apprentice Seeker
    No. It only changes it on a route.
    It only shows faint when operating with no route running.
  • nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    change the brightness (I'm at 55%)

in aspect / Display / Brightness
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 169
    Exalted Navigator
    edited September 2021
    Guys,
    The feature I hate is the thing defaulting to satellite view as I arrive and the route terminates. Would really prefer I get "the road in front of me" view from switch on without having to faff about.

Once I've got my gloves on and a big bike in both hands its tricky to find that crappy little icon.

I want the simple HUD view I had with my greatly missed Rider 2.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @TigerRider
    Welcome to the site....
    Sorry, but the 'Automatic Route Clearance' is by design :/
    And there is not an option to turn off :open_mouth:
    As far as I recall....
    Automatic Route Clearance Rules
    (1)… When you arrive to the destination, the route will be cleared (Inside a 50 m radius)
    (2)… When the last known location is less than 400 meters from your destination AND it has been more than 120 minutes since the user suspended/turn off the device, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.
    (3)… When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

Maybe useful... In the Setting menu
    You can turn off the automatic Map, switching to the North-up overview map

With "Automatic Map Switching" turned off, when you arrive at your destination, the device will continue using your chosen navigation screen to show your present location...

z2ycuwf7drmu.jpg
    Note... you may need to tap the Plus Icon button (Situated Under the 'Direction of Travel' Icon) a couple of times to zoom in for the map detail
    (At least it stops the Map switching to the North-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view from International Space Station)

Setting-up... From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance....
    Turn off Automatic Map view switching
    Tap Blue arrow head Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit

But unfortunately this has an effect to both ends of the journey.....
    If you have turned off Automatic Map view switching
    Now whenever you have planned a route, you will have to tap the "Let's Go" banner or the "Direction of travel Icon" the arrowhead above the plus and minus buttons
    To switch to your chosen navigation screen
    The Map does not switch at either the start or the end of your journey

There are also three options for the Zoom function.....
    (1)..... Zoom into next turn
    (2)..... Based on road type....
    (I prefer the zoom set to 'Based on road type')
    (3)..... None
    From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Automatic zoom....
    Choose the required option
    Tap Blue arrow head Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 169
    Exalted Navigator
    Well thanx again to @YamFazMan for another extensive answer.

As I recall all my old TomToms weren't clever enough to do what the new ones do and clearly the new TomTom developers aren't old enough to have used and noted the way the old units worked.

Like I guess most here we select and buy our new SatNavs based on our experiences with our beloved but obsoleted old units. I have to say that I was expecting some continuity from the old to the newer units but every time they've been very different.

I also remember it useful to actually have to clear the route. Massively useful when circumstances force a destination over shoot like looking for a hotel or similar. This was really useful back then but more so now we're not allowed (in UK) to mess with our SatNav while in control of a vehicle. Also, its all well and good to say "and then you just ..." but with my gloves and regardless of sensitivity I'm stuffed if I can control the unit. The icons are too small for my gloved fingers. Again the old Rider 2 nailed this one.

Its interesting that the new units clear the destination on arrival but not an over shot way point on a route or have I miss-understood this.
  • Jarfoster_11
    Apprentice Seeker
    Turning the brightness down doesn’t help.
    It’s mainly the minor roads that are the faintest but the more major ones are still pretty feint.
    The only way I have found to show the road I’m on in ‘bold’ is to set a route, any route.This portrays the road I’m on in ‘ bold’.
    The only problem is ,it keeps telling me to turn around when possible!!!! Aghhhh!!!!
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Jarfoster_11
    I Drive/Ride 2D (I hate the 3D View)
    Have you tried the different zoom options in the setting menu....
    I prefer Zoom based on road type...

Zoom into next turn... Visible view of the Map ahead
    The view in urban area's depending on surrounding density is around 400 to 800 yards and in the countryside 800 yards to many Miles with the route zooming in for more detail for all Junctions and Traffic Islands etc....

Zoom based on road type... Visible view of the Map ahead
    The zoom In the urban area's is similar to the 'Zoom into next turn' view of around 400 to 800 yards and in the countryside the zoom is a more constant 800 yards to a Mile +
    The route zooms less and in most cases not at all for more detail for Junctions and Traffic Islands etc....

Zoom None... Visible view of the Map ahead
    Constant view of around 300 + yards and route zooming for more detail for Junctions and Traffic Islands etc is zero...

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • Jarfoster_11
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks YFM…. I’ve changed the settings. I’ll report back next time I take her out.