Traffic Service Unavailable

JulianPhilo
JulianPhilo Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
The Traffic Service has been unavailable on my TomTom Go Camper for several months despite the device being regularly updated and even reset to factory settings.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Hi @JulianPhilo

Look back here later to see what @VikramK has to say after he has reviewed your units Traffic settings oetc n the TT servers and adjusted if required.

Doug
  • JulianPhilo
    Apprentice Seeker
    Looking at some of the other comments on here it seems to be a common fault. I didn't have any trouble with my previous Tomtom Go, which is why I bought this one. I am just about to embark on a 200 mile round trip to East London and not happy that, once again, I will be relying on Google Maps and not my expensive TomTom Satnav device. I will check back on here when I have returned from the trip.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,810
    Hi @JulianPhilo

Welcome to the community, and sorry for my late reply!
    My team has fixed the services for your TomTom, please do a soft reset and check for updates.

Regards, Vikram
  • JulianPhilo
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you. Just to be absolutely clear, by “soft reset” do you mean switch the TomTom off and switch back on?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    Press the on / off button until you hear the sound of the tamtam and the device restarts.
    It may take at least 30 seconds.

If no result, hold Press the on / off button for more than 3 minutes
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    edited September 2021
    HI
    @JulianPhilo
    Soft or Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the device's Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound, then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade, large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • halo572
    halo572 Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    edited September 2021
    If you can actually believe this - they sell products that they know may not work.

And have been since 2019.

I have been fighting them for 2 months of a 3 month old unit now because I have no active sim and 'support' (that's a good one) shrug and say it will be fixed when it is fixed. No timescale.

Meanwhile on here there is a lot of scratching of heads and confusion on the multitude of devices that don't work the way they should - confusion, consternation. 'That's weird, try soft resetting it'.

I have never dealt with a company so disingenuous in my life, it is shocking.

And the simple answer being - you buy a Tom Tom you enter a lottery to see if you get a functioning one.

I lost the £270 lottery, more fool me for buying their product.

Your sim is likely disconnected as is mine and they offer no solution to reactivate it.

No refund, no warranty repair/replacement offer, tough, use your phone if you want a gps with traffic.

I will be getting my money back from my credit card as it was within 60 days of purchase, UK consumer law protects you against fraud from companies that sell products and services that don't work/deliver.

Return it to the retailer if you can, if it is Tom Tom they don't want broken things back, they only sell them and wave 14 days maximum at you, even if it failed shortly after that.

If you can get a credit card chargeback, if not they are in Holland and untouchable legally. You will have to accept you need to buy a new non-Tom Tom product.

TLDR - if you can't return it to the retailer or get a chargeback you are knackered, you have a GPS without any services. More fool you.

Protip - I won't be purchasing any Tom Tom product for life, not sure what now, I will see what Garmin customer reviews are before being caught again.