Have a G620 and to make a phone call out using hands free it does not work using a voice command.

Dechanin
Dechanin Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
The Tomtom responds to the first command to activate the phone ( you get the beep to do so). However you don't get the second beep for the number you want to call and just returns to the navigation screen. . You can call out using the manual touch screen and selecting the person to call. Incoming calls also works fine.
I am using a Samsung A51 5G running Andriod 11. The Tomtom Go 620 has the latest firmware. I have the MyDrive app installed and that works fine.

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,424
    Exalted Pioneer
    reset factory
    again pair phone
  • Dechanin
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi rider1rider, thanks for that suggestion but tried that already and no luck.
  • Dechanin
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi all,
    the following text is a solution I have found but not perfect and the conversation with TOMTOM in the Netherlands.

Question Reference: 1350684
    Dear Brmiller 2,
    Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care. We have received your email and a member of our team will get back to you soon.
    Subject:
    'Go 620 Hands free problem'
    Description:
    'My Tomtom is blue tooth pair correctly and shows connected for phone hands free, SMS messages and traffic data with the Samsung phone. The wifi also connects and down loads all updates.
    The G0 620 responds to the voice commands. However when using voice to activate the phone ( you get the beep to do so), you don't get the second beep for the number you want to call and it just returns to the navigation screen. You can call out using the manual touch screen and selecting the person to call. Incoming calls and SMS also works fine.
    I am using a Samsung A51 5G running Andriod 11. The Tomtom Go 620 has the latest firmware. I have the MyDrive app installed and that works fine.
    What is solution for this? '

Santimai Blah (TomTom)
    7 Oct 2021, 13:41 CEST
    Dear TomTom Customer,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Santy and I will be assisting you today.
    The reference number for your query is 1350684

As I understand, you are facing the hands free calling issue on your TomTom GO 620. Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you, please be rest assured I will do my best to fix this issue.

Would inform you that unfortunately, Voice Recognition and Voice control only work if the device has a computer voice installed that corresponds to the language the device is set it. If the computer voice is not installed, these features will not work.

Example: If the device is set in Dutch, you will need to have the Dutch Computer Voice installed.

Also, if you are using the Voice Control feature, but experience any issues, here are some useful checks to perform:
    • Does the device suddenly quit listening and just exit the menu.
    • If not, does the microphone volume bar move when the you speaks? Maybe the device doesn’t hear you.

Check if there is background noise when you are attempting to use it. Background noise can interfere with the device understanding you.

Also, I would advise you to please set the computer voice on the device and test it again. Please follow the below steps to change the voice.

Step 1: Tap Main Menu > Settings > Voice > choose a voice> Serena

Step 2: Test the hands free calling

In case if the issue persists, would advise you to please perform a Factory Reset on the device.

Please follow the steps below to get the issue resolved :

* Remove all connected USB devices from the computer.

1. Check that the battery is charged properly.

2.Menu --> Settings --> My Drive --> tap stop syncing

3. Factory setting-
    Menu --> Setting --> Systems --> Reset --> Done (OK).

I request you to please update us on the outcome of it by replying to my email. I’ll be happy to help you further.

Thank you for your time and for allowing me to assist you.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

With kind regards,
    Santy.
    TomTom Customer Support Team
    Hi Santy,
    1: Yes the battery is fully charged
    2: Yes I have reset syncing with My Drive. Have also uninstalled and re-installed My Drive.
    3: Yes I have done a factory reset on the Go 620.
    The voice control on the Tomtom works fine but it fails to work for the hands free phone calls.
    In the Tomtom support discussion site several other customers have exactly the same problem. There must be a fix for this??

TomTom Customer
    7 Oct 2021, 03:57 CEST
    My Tomtom is blue tooth pair correctly and shows connected for phone hands free, SMS messages and traffic data with the Samsung phone. The wifi also connects and down loads all updates.
    The G0 620 responds to the voice commands. However when using voice to activate the phone ( you get the beep to do so), you don't get the second beep for the number you want to call and it just returns to the navigation screen. You can call out using the manual touch screen and selecting the person to call. Incoming calls and SMS also works fine.
    What is solution for this?
    Santimai Blah (TomTom)
    8 Oct 2021, 12:23 CEST
    Dear TomTom Customer,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Santy and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry to learn that the issue persists, However, did you try and set the computerize voice on the device? If not, can you please change the voice and select any voice like Serena, Samantha, Tom and Malcolm.

Please follow the below steps to troubleshoot.

Step 1: Tap Main Menu > Settings > Voice > choose a voice> Serena

Step 2: pair with your smartphone

Step 3: Making a hands-free call
    Important: Getting distracted while driving is dangerous. To use this feature, you must use a legally approved hands-free calling system and connect your device to your phone. Keep your eyes on the road and avoid hands-on interaction with your device while driving.
    Note: This uses your phone's voice control.
    1. Say "Hello TomTom" to wake up voice control then say "Activate phone", or select the Phone button.You see the message Speak to your phone after the tone.
    2. Say, for example, "Call Jack" to call your friend named Jack.You see a message Outgoing call.
    3. Jack answers and you have your conversation.
    4. To hang up, select End call.

If the issue persists, can you please share with us a very short video to investigate.

Hi Santy,
    Ok! I have spent many hours trying to fix this hands free problem and think this is the problem and the solution.

Samsung phones have a digital assist app called BIXBY built in default. I had installed the Google app, which also is a digital assistant and when Tomtom voice control communicates to the phone these two clash with one another and the Tomtom voice control just wont work.
    I disable Bixby, there are plenty of articles online on how to do it, however you can't uninstall it. With Bixby disable I was unable to get Google work successfully with Tomtom voice control.
    I uninstalled the Google app, reset Bixby and voice control then worked with my phone. You must also have to have Bixby settings set to use with a locked phone. I wanted to use Google so I installed the Google Go app that has no digital assistance built into it.

There is still one bug in my solution. When you speak, activate phone to the Tomtom and get the beep to tell it which person to call. The response audio comes from my phone's speaker, not the Tomtom's speaker's audio. Once you confirm the caller, the dial tone and conversation is on the Tomtom's speaker as normal.

Do you have any ideas on this problem?

Regards

Barry

Santimai Blah (TomTom)
    15 Oct 2021, 11:05 CEST
    Dear TomTom Customer,

Thank you for your response. My name is Santy from TomTom Customer Support and I will be assisting you today.

Firstly, I'm glad to hear that the voice control are working again and you are able to do the handsfree calling. However, regarding the BIXBY I will take it as a feedback and pass it on to the development team and product managers. Please be aware that though we’re very happy to receive suggested improvements to our products, we cannot guarantee if or when your suggestion will be implemented.

You might also consider posting your idea on our discussions forum, so other TomTom users can see your feedback. The more requested a feature is, the more likely it is that it will be implemented.

Honestly, have never heard before that the response audio comes from your phone's speaker, instead of TomTom's speaker's audio. However, can you please provide us with the below details so that I can escalate further for an investigation.

• Smartphone model:
    • iOS version:
    • MyDrive app version:
    • What is the Bluetooth connection status on the device and smartphone? Connected/Disconnected?
    • What happens if you pairs without the MyDrive app?
    • Share a short video of the error
    • which voice is select on the device

Looking forward to your response.

With kind regards,

Santy,

• Smartphone model: Samsung A51-5G (Model SM-A5160)
    • iOS version: It's an Android phone running Android version 11
    • MyDrive app version: Version 2.16.0
    • What is the Bluetooth connection status on the device and smartphone? Connected/Disconnected? It show connect to Tomtom on the phone and connected on the Tomtom (hands free, Traffic and Data and SMS messages all showing connected)
    • What happens if you pair without the MyDrive app? : Uninstalling MyDrive makes no difference to the initial response coming from the phone when making the call.
    • Share a short video of the error
    • which voice is select on the device: Karen (Australia) and have tried Malcolm (UK) no success.

Santimai Blah (TomTom)
    21 Oct 2021, 14:13 CEST
    Dear TomTom Customer,

Thank you for your response. My name is Santy from TomTom Customer Support and I will be assisting you today.

Thank you for the details. Please be rest assured, I’m escalating this case to the higher-level team for an investigation. We get back to you once we get an update from the team.

In the meantime, if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to reply to my email. I’ll be happy to help you further.