"Waterproof" Motorcycle Sat Nav

ApriliaMart
ApriliaMart Registered Users Posts: 9
Master Traveler
I've recently been in discussion with TomTom regarding the well documented water ingress issues of their supposedly waterproof rider motorcycle sat navs.
Fact is - They don't want to know.
In their first reply to me they referred to me by name but then followed with messages where I was referred to as TomTom Customer. This speaks volumes. Generic Response = Generic Brush Off.
My TomTom unit leaks - They offered a repair - if I pay for it, or they could offer 25% off a new unit.
I do not see why I should have to pay for a repair to a product with a known fault. This should be a recall. I can also get a discount of 30% from an official UK outlet, so the offer of 25% is an insult.
Based on the quality of the product and the level of customer service I have made a decision. I will buy a Reliable Garmin device and never ever buy another Inadequate TomTom device. Job Done.
So that's that with TomTom - you live and learn.

Answers

• nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    try to put it in the rice to avoid rust

and never go out without a freezer bag (in the pocket) to protect it when needed
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @ApriliaMart
    I do not see why I should have to pay for a repair to a product with a known fault. This should be a recall. I can also get a discount of 30% from an official UK outlet, so the offer of 25% is an insult.
    What is your basis for "known fault" please quote sources! As a nonuser of the specific item I would be interested in who you are quoting

• AndersNordh
    AndersNordh Registered Users Posts: 277
    Supreme Navigator

... and when I had the same option I went elsewhere with my money ...

Have a good one,
    Anders
  • BryanM63
    BryanM63 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Master Explorer
    Niall wrote: »
    @ApriliaMart
    What is your basis for "known fault" please quote sources! As a nonuser of the specific item I would be interested in who you are quoting

You must be asleep if you aren't seeing the number of posts regarding this issue.
    I have had a 400 die because of water inside and now a 550 which also fogs up at times. I expect it will die too eventually. This has been know by TomTom for years yet the problem remains in the newer models.