when i try to update...

Kathleen2
Kathleen2 Registered Users Posts: 21
Master Explorer
when i try to update, although my tom tom screen says "updating" my pc screen continues to say "waiting for device"......and just wondering also if there are any plans from tomtom to add the search option of putting an address or place in similar to google maps if you dont have a postcode or the postcode isnt recognised ?

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    Revered Voyager
    tomtom start supports only postcode search other models support location search
    check antivirus software for the error or do soft reset
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi
    @Kathleen2
    If I'm having problems with MyDrive Connect....
    I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders
    Kathleen2 wrote: »
    (Snip) Just wondering also if there are any plans from TomTom to add the search option of putting an address or place in similar to google maps if you don't have a postcode or the postcode isn't recognized ?
    Yes, this is a long-standing problem....
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number, you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me, it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

It's ONLY the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular Step by Step search engine as the only search option...

All the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via, GO & Premium all have the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode
    (1).... Quick Search (Default & Best)
    (2)... Step by Step

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Kathleen2
    Master Explorer
    are there any plans from tom tom to release new software and make it available for download on the start 52 so that location can be inputted as opposed to postcode ?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,773
    Elite Voyager
    Tomtom does not communicate on the next upcoming software versions.
  • Kathleen2
    Master Explorer
    thanks Yamfaz for your always helpful replies...surely tom tom should be looking at something along the lines of google maps where you can even enter the name of a building as opposed to a postcode or street name and get direction to that particular building ?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi
    @Kathleen2
    All the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the Wi-Fi Connected Range... The Via, GO & Premium etc... all have the excellent "Quick search"
    Unfortunately, you chose the Start 52 model, this model only has the Step by Step search engine....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Kathleen2
    Master Explorer
    yeah just thought i would purchase the latest one as i assumed it was the best and most up to date one