Speed camera service failure?

Lissagriffin
Lissagriffin Registered Users Posts: 11
Legendary Explorer
I received an email from TomTom the other day saying:

"Some of our navigation devices have been showing alerts for out-of-date/expired or inaccurate speed camera locations. This could occur when a subscription of the speed camera alert service has expired.

To ensure that our speed camera alert service remains reliable, we have fixed this issue in our latest update, which will be available to you within the coming four weeks.

Please note: Speed camera alerts are part of an add-on service subscription. Once your subscription expires, access to the service expires as well. Your TomTom device with serial number X52119I00002 runs inactive speed camera alerts since 04/08/2021. So the next time you update your device, if the service is not reactivated, these adjustments will take effect and your device will no longer provide speed camera alerts."

This is quite badly worded and hard to follow, but it seems to be implying that I have not not had a speed camera subscription since 04/08/2021, whereas I renewed my subscription at that time, for which I have a receipt and my online account shows the renewal date as August 2022.

Since updating my device with the latest speed camera update, I am getting some speed camera alerts but I am passing some known cameras locally without being alerted as I had always been up to now. Clearly something has gone wrong and I don't know how much confidence I can place on the service.

Thoughts or advice, anyone?

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Lissagriffin

@VikramK should pick this up tomorrow and can check the settings for your unit on the TT servers. Look back here to see what he says.

It may be that he will ask you to contact Customer Support if so try the following.

There are no phone lines to Customer Support so use the Chat facility

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat.. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug

Answers

• nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Before once you had the radars you keep them all the time even not
    updated now it's over once the subscription is over more speed cameras

but it caused them complaints and they are obliged to warn you at least
    once that no subscription the radars disappear

if you still have a subscription you would have your speed cameras until the last day of your subscriptions
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    Just to be clear, if I wasn’t in the original post, I have paid for a subscription till August 2022. The email from TomTom implies otherwise.

I have just driven along the A406 North Circular Road and passed 3 speed cameras - no alert for any of them. Seems I’ve paid for a service I’m not getting.

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Lissagriffin

@VikramK should pick this up tomorrow and can check the settings for your unit on the TT servers. Look back here to see what he says.

It may be that he will ask you to contact Customer Support if so try the following.

There are no phone lines to Customer Support so use the Chat facility

Try the following:-

You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat.. If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks, DougLap. That’s really helpful. I have to say I’ve tried contacting TomTom customer service by following the onscreen instructions, but I always end up going round in circles and never getting past the chatbot. I was getting more and more frustrated and so gave the community forum a try as my last resort. Fingers crossed I can get the issue resolved from here. Thanks again.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Lissagriffin

Glad to be of help and hope you get sorted. Don't hesitate to return here if you think we can help.

Doug
  • lioness
    lioness Registered Users Posts: 17
    Master Explorer
    Hi wonder if you can help. I took the option of a free month of speed cameras and it now says I am signed up to pay monthly. I would rather pay the annual amount as it is less, but cannot find how to do it.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @lioness

Log into your account on the main TT webpage then go to subscriptions and terminate the current one as it is nearing the end then go to and select the Yearly sub from the relevant page.

Doug
  • lioness
    Master Explorer
    edited September 2021
    I logged into the account earlier and saw my one month subscription now when I log in the option is not available and if I click on my ICON top right, it says this Page cannot be found. Also, there is nowhere to logout? The website is hopeless. If you click on Chat, that doesn't work either. I have tried 2 browsers.

vz7tvydhvx0p.png
  • lioness
    Master Explorer
    neq85d01fhxp.png

Just tried again in Chrome instead of Firefox and there is now a line where the subscriptions are. Are Tomtom aware of these glitches.
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    To add insult to injury, TomTom have just sent me an email inviting me to a free 30 days subscription to speed camera alerts, and once again implying my previous subscription ended last month. Fortunately, my online account still shows the correct position of my subscription renewal being in August 2022. But in the meantime I'm not getting any alerts at all. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Lissagriffin

Use the Chat facility and they should be able to resolve it whilst you are on line with them.

Doug
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks again, Doug. I’ll give it another go, but I haven’t managed to get connected on a chat yet. Maybe it’s a browser problem and I’ll try different options. I’ll update on success or otherwise later.
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    UPDATE.
    This is making me want to scream now. I have tried three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Safari) on my Mac Book and two different browsers on my iPhone (Safari and Firefox) and it's the same each time. Here, in detail, is what happens, and I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong:

From www.tomtom.com clicking on Support/Contact Support takes me to the 'Welcome to Support' page.
    Clicking on the Sign In button at the top of the page opens a login box.
    Logging in takes me back to the 'Welcome to Support' page.
    Clicking on the Contact Us button at the foot of the page opens a chat, but it is just an automated chatbot. Waiting for any length of time does not result in any 'Get in Touch' button appearing. The welcome chat message does, however, read "...if you wish to get in touch with an agent click SIGN IN". The words "SIGN IN" are clickable, and despite already being signed in, perhaps clicking here will get me somewhere. But no - clicking here takes me to the page listing 'My Products', where there is nothing about support at all. Clicking on the Support tab at the top of that page takes me back to the chatbot.

And so it goes on round and round in circles.

I managed to find a phone number for TomTom (but not on their website): 020 7387 5444. This answers with a cheery recorded message saying that all their support is now offered via chat or email. But it doesn't say what the email address is, and I can find nothing on the website about that.

So basically I'm stuck. They've taken my money and they are not providing the service I paid for and I have no way of contacting them. Plus I've spent hours of my time trying to sort this out.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Lissagriffin

In my post above I indicated what to do and I said Click Support at the top of THIS page as the start.. You then sign in on the next page if you follow what I suggested.

Unfortunately that does not seem to be working in Safari, Chrome or Firefox so there appears to be an issue on the website. .

Doug
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    Well I tried that originally, several times. All with the same result.

By pure luck I have managed to open a live chat and am on with it right now. I got through by putting the single word ‘email’ n the dialogue box hoping to find an email address. The chatbot responded by offering a live chat!
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Lissagriffin

It appears to be working again but has changed to:-

Sign in Top right of the next page. You have to be signed in here
    Now you can Tap Contact Us
    Help box appears
    Type Chat in the message box
    Tap Live Chat option offered.

Looks like you may have an early user of this method.

Hope you get sorted.

Doug
  • Lissagriffin
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks, Doug. I have it working again but no real explanation or apology. Said it was probably due to ‘some corrupted files’ on my device which would correct itself when next updated. As it happened, an update appeared yesterday, which I have installed and so far so good.
    Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.
  • Real-Chewbacca
    Real-Chewbacca Registered Users Posts: 13
    Master Explorer
    I have just 'signed up' for 2 months free speed camera updates and the system shows me that it has only added 1 month to my account. I have tried to contact the chatbot but that just flickers annoyingly in the bottom corner of the screen. Plus the send button is covered by the 'contact us' button so I unable to send chat to the bot, that would be if I was able to type anything so I am unable to ask anyone why I have only been allowed 1 months free cameras instead of 2 months.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Real-Chewbacca

Contact Customer Support via Chat during normal working hours.

Sign in Top right of the next page. You have to be signed in here
    Now you can Tap Contact Us
    Help box appears
    Type Chat in the message box
    Contact appears Tap Contact
    Tap Live Chat option offered.

If it does not work exactly as suggested try another web browser.

Doug
  • Real-Chewbacca
    Real-Chewbacca Registered Users Posts: 13
    Master Explorer
    edited September 2021
    Hi Doug, I have tried the 'contact us' on Chrome and it constantly flickers and will not accept letters that are typed in unless the key is hit several times. I did get an e-mail yesterday, on a 'no reply' e-mail, telling me how to log in etc, which is pointless as I had already done everything that was suggested. I also got the 'groundhog day' clicking back to a previous screen. I've also had a confirmation of my order of the promotional free month of speed camera updates and this also shows in my 'subscriptions' but does not show in the downloads to my device. The main reason for my need to contact TomTom was to discuss the missing month promised in the offer as it was for 2 free months of speed camera updates not just the 1 month. All I want to do is have the ability to explain the issue to a human being and hopefully resolve the issue and not have to suffer the idio(t)syncrasies of a useless chat bot system that does not work. Why make things easy when you can cause havoc for people. I can see why people want to rant on here especially when there isn't a real simple and positive method of contacting TomTom. If they know that the bot does not work on all platforms then why not make up a simpler system such as a phone number or an e-mail address manned by humans.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Real-Chewbacca

The Chat I referred to is with an actual person during normal working hours Mon/Fri. If chat is closed you are then offered an email option.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,828
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Real-Chewbacca
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check/correct your Tomtom Speed Cam account status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,810
    Hi @Real-Chewbacca
    Thanks for sending the details in a private message..
    The second month for the subscription should get activated automatically on your account.

Should that not happen, you can post back on this thread, and I can check with my team.

- Vikram :)