Am thinking about getting a discover for domestic and international travel next year. Suggestions?

ccube1951
ccube1951 Registered Users Posts: 3
New Seeker
Am thinking about getting a discover for domestic and international travel next year. Suggestions? Wll be walking in international locations so it is finding paces to get to . Person using itdomestically isnot a real echy. Want very lowmaintenance. How about international maps and update. How much are they? How much for maps for each country? A bundle available? Can't get anyone to just answer me.

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @ccube1951

The GO Discover units include the World Maps so all the Maps are available Ito you free of charge and can be downloaded and deleted as and when you ned them.

The units need the pairing of a Smartphone to get the Traffic data etc and so provided you have a data plan covering wherever you are going you will be covered. The quantity of data required is very small.

If you go to the Tomtom main webpage and click on Products/Car then Click on Buy now alongside the Go Discover you can see the large map list of countries covered by the device if required and at no further cost.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @ccube1951

The GO Discover units include the World Maps so all the Maps are available Ito you free of charge and can be downloaded and deleted as and when you ned them.

The units need the pairing of a Smartphone to get the Traffic data etc and so provided you have a data plan covering wherever you are going you will be covered. The quantity of data required is very small.

If you go to the Tomtom main webpage and click on Products/Car then Click on Buy now alongside the Go Discover you can see the large map list of countries covered by the device if required and at no further cost.

Doug
  • ccube1951
    New Seeker
    Is the smartphone also required for domestic use too then? Smart phone only for international traffic, Domestic is SOP like my gps 52?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @ccube1951

Your Smartphone is required for all domestic and international Traffic etc as there is no Inbuilt Mobile Sim within the unit

Doug
  • ccube1951
    New Seeker
    Clarification - "Smartphone is required fo all domestic and international traffic" I assume this means smart phone required if I want to get realtime traffice reports, cameras etc. Not required for trips just to go from point a to point B, just directions right? Just want to make sure I understand what you said.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @ccube1951

Yes a connection to a Smart phone is required to enable receipt of traffic data. Without a connection the unit will still route you to a destination.

You referred in your initial post to walking. The TT devices are not designed as units to use whilst walking. I assume you want the device to get you to somewhere from which you can then go for a walk The units battery life off limited so they will not last long when disconnected from a power supply. Also they are not provided with the map data to cover off road paths etc.

Doug