Anybody else having a nightmare trying to get hold of Tomtom? Device not charging.

Niel_Knight
Niel_Knight Registered Users Posts: 11
Master Explorer
Is anybody else heartily sick of getting no respnse form Tomtom? The online help isn't working and I get no response to emails (replying to their email confirming my order).
My device won't charge form the docking port. I wired it into the lights on my motorbike as they suggest and it didn't charge. I then wired direct to the battery but still it doesn't charge. It does charge via the USB and the mains supply.
Does anybody else have the same problem?

Best Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,826
    Superuser
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Welcome to the site...
    Is the Mount showing around 5.5 volts across the pins on the Mount ???

1om6puklozse.jpg
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Glad to see your sorted :)
    (Snip)
    Now to figure out how to get the screen to maintain riding orientation when I'm not following a route. Why would it not maintain direction of travel orientation at all times?
    Maybe useful....
    Edited for more clarity....
    The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak) Route planning has the highest priority... When the device starts-up or if the route is cleared, the device defaults to the 2D North-up overview planning map screen....

To change the Map view tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the Manual Zoom level + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    The sequence when tapping on the 'Direction of Travel Icon' as I see it... I'm driving using my chosen driving view in the Setting Menus...
    For me 2D (In direction of Travel) + Zoom... Based on road type
    1st Tap --> North-up Overview planning Map
    2nd Tap --> 2D (Indirection of Travel) Max Zoom ???
    3rd Tap --> Return to my chosen driving view (2D (In direction of Travel)) Normal Zoom....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Welcome to the site...

1om6puklozse.jpg

Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
    Superuser
    You are under warranty only support can help you
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Welcome to the site...

1om6puklozse.jpg

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Thanks, Yamfazman. I get no power across the pins, whichever way I wire the docking port into my bike.
    I'll check out the 'Top tips when contacting support ...' that you linked to.
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    nabu wrote: »
    You are under warranty only support can help you

I wouild agree with you, but support isn't working. It's a shoddy customer service. So I reckon I'll be returning the device. ... as soon as they can be bothered to respond ot my tickets and/or emails. Thank you.
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Welcome to the site...

1om6puklozse.jpg

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Cheers, Yamfazman. The procedure described in the 'Tips when contacting ... ' link is what I've been trying. ABout 20 time now! Still no response. To that or emails. Grrr.
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Welcome to the site...

1om6puklozse.jpg

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Rightio, YFM. I had the Tomtom cable and docking port tested by an elctrician. I'm getting full battery power at the end of the charging lead from the battery. When this is connected to the lead coming from the Tomtom docking port, zero power is coming to the pins on the docking port. My layman opinion is the docking port is fooked. I'm now trying to get hold of Tomtom. Which is like pulling teeth.
  • fredaroony2
    fredaroony2 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Renowned Trailblazer
    I cannot see any possible way to actually contact someone in Tomtom to discuss repair options. The website simply doesn't work and same goes for their chatbot.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,857
    Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi @fredaroony2

Try the following and use Chat to connect with Customer Support personal.

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and at the bottom is a message option
    Type Chat in the box
    Contact will appear so Tap that
    If Chat is available you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • fredaroony2
    fredaroony2 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Renowned Trailblazer
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @fredaroony2

Try the following and use Chat to connect with Customer Support personal.

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and at the bottom is a message option
    Type Chat in the box
    Contact will appear so Tap that
    If Chat is available you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug

Thanks mate, it worked! Not sure why they have made it so difficult without knowing exactly what to write in the chat
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I finally got it sorted. But not before countless attempts at contacting Tomtom. The customer care team initially insisted I send the faulty unit for repair. I was having none of that! I paid a fortune for the device and I do not want a repaired unit. I offered several options to get the issue resolved. None were taken up. I continued to ask that they send me a new unit (docking/charging point), with a return postage paid label.
    Along the way, they repeatedly asked for information I'd already given them. Proof to me they really don't give a fig about what customers report, to the point they don't even read messages.
    I noticed that they keep their address secret in all communications; instead giving only their HQ address in The Netherlands. I asked for a UK address I could come to and physically swap the faulty device for a working one. That was met with silence.
    They eventually did send me a working unit ... with no return label, thus continuing their secrecy.
    Top tips for Tomtom: 1. Once contact with a customer has been established, have the same customer service person deal with it throughout the process. 2. Accept the fact that perhaps customers really are telling the truth and you sold a faulty product. 3. Stop hiding!
    As much as I like their devices (this is not my first Tomtom), their customer care is pants. This whole experience has convinced me there must be better companies out there who would appreciate my money and who show a little respect for their customers.
    Nb. The cheeky sods sent me a feedback request! Howling. I did fill it out, and gave them both barrels.
    Now to figure out how to get the screen to maintain riding orientation when I'm not following a route. Why would it not maintain direction of travel orientation at all times?
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    (Snip)
    Maybe useful....
    Edited for more clarity....
    The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak) Route planning has the highest priority... When the device starts-up or if the route is cleared, the device defaults to the 2D North-up overview planning map screen....

To change the Map view tap on the direction of Travel Icon, above the Manual Zoom level + and - Signs
    To toggle between the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view chosen in the Setting menus i.e... 2D in direction of travel or 3D

mulqpd39pdff.jpg
    The direction of Travel Icon is thinner more pointed in the 2D in direction of travel or 3D Driving view

i82ldz9u5cf1.png
    The sequence when tapping on the 'Direction of Travel Icon' as I see it... I'm driving using my chosen driving view in the Setting Menus...
    3rd Tap --> Return to my chosen driving view (2D (In direction of Travel)) Normal Zoom....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    (Snip)
    Maybe useful....

mulqpd39pdff.jpg

i82ldz9u5cf1.png

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Excellent! Thank you, YFM. I hadn't realised that about the arrow. Trying that on the move, I thought it simply zoomed back out. Now I know. Thank youuu.
  • Niel_Knight
    Master Explorer
    Hi
    @Niel_Knight
    Welcome to the site...

1om6puklozse.jpg

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Cheers, Yamfazman. The procedure described in the 'Tips when contacting ... ' link is what I've been trying. ABout 20 time now! Still no response. To that or emails. Grrr.

To reply to your point about the 5.5v reading. Now I have a working charging cradle, I'm getting 5.4v, so I'm.happy with that 😊👍