TomTom Go App (trial), no map for my area

stevieh
stevieh Registered Users Posts: 5
Master Traveler
Installed this trial app on my Android phone only to find that no map was displayed just a blue pointer.
Uninstalled and re-installed three times but no change.
Tried the search facility, no towns or streets found in my area of Lincolnshire or Cambridge.
Further searches did find areas North of me.
Not got a clue what to do next.
Please advise?

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @stevieh

It appears the Android App is split into 3 regions ie South
    /North and central UK including NI. The IOS App has 4 maps.

The Android South / Central&NI maps appear to meet one another just above Peterborough. If you scroll in on the map you an see on your phone you should see where Places are shown and where not as the relevant map is not loaded.

If you go to the Maps page you should see a region downloaded and probably a European Ferries connection file as well. Can you add a Map isf try adding the South UK Map and see if that resolves it.

By the way do not be confused by the Ferries file as it also covers other than ferries.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @stevieh

If the Android version works the same way as the IOS version it should download the map covering the area you are in. Can you see what map region is listed. Is it possible that somehow you are right on the edge and if you travelled a short distance it would work. Can you search for places nearby?

Doug
  • stevieh
    Master Traveler
    Hello.
    Thanks for your reply, to be honest i have not even tried it yet, just downloaded and reviewed, searched for places near by, no joy, does not recognise street that i live in so cannot set up home address.
    Just noticed something, downloaded again, when maps were loaded it says" UK Central Northern Ireland (428 MB"
    Now i am really confused.
    Any thoughts?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @stevieh

It appears the Android App is split into 3 regions ie South
    /North and central UK including NI. The IOS App has 4 maps.

The Android South / Central&NI maps appear to meet one another just above Peterborough. If you scroll in on the map you an see on your phone you should see where Places are shown and where not as the relevant map is not loaded.

If you go to the Maps page you should see a region downloaded and probably a European Ferries connection file as well. Can you add a Map isf try adding the South UK Map and see if that resolves it.

By the way do not be confused by the Ferries file as it also covers other than ferries.

Doug
  • stevieh
    Master Traveler
    Hello.
    Thanks again, all seems OK trial map appeared after fourth download attempt ends about 1 mile south from where i live in lincolnshire.
    Works OK in car as far i as i can tell.
    How do i purchase a licence if i am in trial mode?
    Many thanks again for your help so far
  • MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 560
    Revered Pioneer
    You have to wait until the end of the trial period (30days with full functionallity).
    Then go to Google Playstore and purchase a 1 year license.

Be carefully:
    Including automatic subsrcription for the following years if you dont cancel the subscription.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @stevieh

Glad you are sorted. Its called living on the edge.😂

Doug
  • stevieh
    Master Traveler
    Message to all aged numpties, if you live on the edge in my case precipice of one of the three TomTom UK maps load all three then check your display again.
    Thanks again to all that participated, it's been a great help:)