My TomTom GO PREMIUM X wont start or charge or restore. How do I fix it?

Hwalker1
Hwalker1 Registered Users Posts: 39
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I left it on charge this afternoon for 3 hours, which is usually enough for it to work. Switched it on and plugged it into my computer. Strated my drive and the device started to start and then stopped. The drum roll strted and Go Premium X was displayed on screen. Then the image with a computer, a device and a broken cable appeared. Left it plugged in and the process just repeated time and time again. Its done it about 20 times so far.
It did not come with a charger, just the plug for the car. I cannot leave it plugged in to my car as it makes the radio and amplifier come live and flattens the car battery. Besides, the car switches off the charger if the ignition is not turned on. Worse I have two of these machines, and I am loath to update the other one in cas this happens again. It does not appear on my computer as a device, or I could format it and reload the maps etc. Had not much help from chat except to tell me to charge it and restore it. Nwither work.
Suggestions please?

Best Answer

• Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    Thought that there was a TomTom -microsoft connection. Thanks for the update

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,417
    Exalted Pioneer
    email customer care to book repair
  • nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    you plug into a computer a device made to work in WIFI without a computer

you talk about formatting you put your device in restoration

Get help seen you won't get out alone
  • Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    When the device failed I contacted TomTom support. They told me to charge it for 4 hours and then to plug it in to my computer after starting up the MyDrive program.
    This is supposed to restore my device to its original condition. It tries repeatedly and then attempts to boot the device, but fails. Its been trying all day with no success.
    I have since contacted Tom Tom customer service, followed their instructions, and got no where. They now want the original purchase document which I no longer have on file, before they will set up a repair.
    Gone are the days when, if my PDA would not run my Tom Tom software, I used to phone the inventor in the Netherlands and ask him to modify the code, which he did. Two days later I would have a fully working version. At no charge. Then it was just a bit of software that came on disk and coste around £85.
    Then along came Microsoft. I have two of these machines both purchased within a month of each other, but the second one has been on the shelf during the pandemic. One updated and worked fine. The other died during the update, and will do nothing.
  • Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    email customer care to book repair

done that. Not happening umnless I can produce the original receipt.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,828
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @Hwalker1
    Welcome to the site.....
    It appears Recovery Mode may have Automatically Started on your device
    MyDrive Connect >> MUST << be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as >> CONNECTED << in MyDrive Connect...
    The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross
    If Recovery mode has Auto Started, it will bypass the Text screen and the 3 presses of the power button... And will already be at a stage of Recovery somewhere between the 'Spinning-disk' image shown in bullet point (5) and the bullet point (7) image showing the recovery progress count up to 100%

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out....
    Any attempts at a Restart of the device... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out

You may need to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19, the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

PS, What does Microsoft have to do with the problem ??? The SatNav are designed, developed and manufactured by Tomtom ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    YamFazMan. Thanks for the information. My device has not shown any spinning wheels or crosses. It show an image od a computer monitor with a broken connection to the device. The device has what we call in the uk an exclamation mark in black and red, and there is a multiplication sign at the end of the broken cable. My drive connect is up and running and connected to my device. The on screen display on my computer shows a small white rectangle with the TOMTOM logo for MYDRIVE connect on it.
    Underneath is a message that tells me not to turn off my device as it is being restored. It goes through a series of count ups until the 100% is reached. It then stops for a few seconds and the words TOMTOM and its logo appear on my device. A drum roll sounds and a white line starts across the screen. When it gets nearly to the end, the line disappears and the words TomTom and its logo reapear. Then a drum roll startes and the words disapear, and the device name appears on the device followed by a short line appearing on my device. When it gets to about 18% of screen width, it stops, has a think, and the whole process starts over.
    No messages to say what is happening.
    I reinstalled My drive connect and its running version 4.2.11.4200.
    The cable I am using is the original one supplied with the device.
    The device was on charge overnight for 8 hours or so.
    During its life it only navigated about 400 miles.until I stopped using it duroing the covid pandemic.
    It worked perfectly well until it was updated. It managed to update the operating syatem, the maps and the voice but it died during the update for traffic cameras.
    I am not impressed with the mydrive connects attempt to fix the problem.
    Nor with the amount of on line help available. until now. Looks to me like my device had the new software system installed and its not worked. My other similar and much older GO X professional managed it with no problems at all.
    So now as I need two sat navs for my historic cars, it looks like I will have to pay the £90 to have it repaired. The customer support has been good, if lacking in quality of instructions.as I still have not been told how to return it for repair.
    Thanks to all on this forum who have done their best to help.

Sorry about Microsoft. I was under the impression that at one time Microsoft had bought TomTom.
    The server is still trying to sort the problem with no success. Been doing so for the last 4 hours. Must have a long time out.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Hwalker1
    Hwalker1 wrote: »
    (Snip) I was under the impression that at one time Microsoft had bought TomTom (Snip)
    A few years ago Microsoft took Tomtom to court in a dispute over the Fat32 filing system, the early NAV2 devices Operating System used the FAT32 system

Around the same time, Tomtom developed the NAV3 devices and locked down the updating system using a secure Network
    The latest NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices use the same secure Network system and update using Wi-Fi or USB and MyDrive Connect....

See... TomTom fights Microsoft FAT32 lawsuit with suit of its own....
    Here... https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/03/tomtom-sues-microsoft-back-for-patent-infringement/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    Thought that there was a TomTom -microsoft connection. Thanks for the update
  • Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    After re-contacting TomTom support, they arranged a return of the device for it to be repaired. They also provided me with a copy of the original invoice. Strangely, the person who did this was a lady, while all the others were gents.
    Now awaiting the device being returned in good order. Meantime I am using my reserve one purchased at the same time. Clicked the order forme twice by mistake.. Strangely this one had no problem installing the updates
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Hwalker1
    Maybe useful....
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

ATB YFM
  • Hwalker1
    Master Explorer
    I have always run my devices from the cigarette lighter socket in my BMW 7 series. It is rated at 5 amps, so should have no problem supplying the TomTom mount which it plugs in to. I even use a large TomTom charger that was supplied with my start 600 plugged in to the mains and its always worked before. I have the feeling that the device was not run for over a year during the covid outbreak when my cars were mainly sorned.and in any case had built in sat navs. The only reason I need this one is that Ive paid for it, and I also just bought a car that was a basic model and so needs a sat nav.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Hwalker1
    Hwalker1 wrote: »
    (Snip) I have the feeling that the device was not run for over a year during the Covid outbreak (Snip)
    Were you using Sleep Mode (Device in regular use)... The device is ticking over in the background)
    Or 'Turned off Mode' (Infrequent Use)... Press the off button until the Power Menu displays --> Select Turn off...
    Lithium battery's should always be properly maintained, one of the worst things you can do to a Lithium Battery is to store it in a discharged state

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM