Go premium tomtom impact of the 2G network closure

Alimac
Alimac Registered Users Posts: 32
Renowned Wayfarer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Will the Go Premium be affected by the turn off of the 2G network, given as one of the reasons why the new Discover has no internal sim
Wondering if i is worth upgrading
Tia

Answers

• nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
    Superuser
    What future for 2G?
    By 2025, in Europe, we can envisage an extinction of 2G, at least for the general public ”. Several large European operators are of this opinion. At the end of 2020, Swisscom plans to end its 2G network. ... It introduced GSM technology while serving as the basis for 3G and 4G networks.
  • Alimac
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Does the Go Premium use 2G?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Hi @Alimac

Yes.

If and when 2g is turned Off then you can link it to a Smartphone via Bluetooth.

Doug
  • Alimac
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Hi DougLap, tardy reply but gotta ask what is the benefit of a new device if it is linked to a smartphone? can't see the logic unless you have some insight
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Hi @Alimac

The Go Premium and any other internal mobile sim model is linked to the TT servers via the 2g mobile system. I think in all instances if the unit has an inbuilt Sim then Traffic and Camera data is provided although on some units the camera data is the subject of an annual or monthly subscription.

The benefit of the inbuilt Sim is the data cost of the services are included and not an extra. 2g however is being turned off in some countries ie Switzerland, Australia and others and gradually that will apply to more and more countries as well. By linking the unit to a smartphone it requires the phones sim to facilitate Data not just phone calls. The downside is that you have to cover the cost of the data which if roaming is involved could be expensive but the benefit is that as time goes on as new systems appear like 5g then your phone is likely to be able to provided the data although some G systems have been turned Off for example it is possible that 3G will be the next to go and maybe before 2g in some countries . Regarding the Data the quantity is said to be small such that TT suggest that Traffic Data usage is circa 7mb per month based on using daily for 1 hour although it can be higher if use is during high traffic density periods.

Doug
  • Alimac
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply, but as a long time TT fan I'm struggling to see the benefit of a unit if I'm having to add data from the phone. I accept the data usage is minimal , what I've liked is the ability to travel outside the UK with the unit.
    I was looking at the GO Premium but has a limited life span
    Any benefits you can suggest would be worth considering as I'd rather have a separate unit

Thanks

Al
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,797
    Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @Alimac
    Alimac wrote: »
    (Snip)
    I was looking at the GO Premium but has a limited life span
    (Snip)
    I purchased my 1st Tomtom Via 120 Live on the 08/05/2011 still going strong still fully supported....
    I Can't see the GO premium devices being declared EoL any time soon !!!

Stay Safe...ATB YFM