why has my tomtom got 2 drive letters?

froggy8
froggy8 Registered Users Posts: 46
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
hi guys

whenever i plug in my tomtom, 2 windows pops up for each drive.

i thought tomtom has only 1 drive.

anyone had this issue?

many thnaks

Answers

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
     Superuser
    Maybe one for the device and one was a sd card installed on the device??
  • froggy8
    Master Explorer
    sorry, forgot to mention i havent put a sd card in the tomtom.
  • froggy8
    Master Explorer
    thing is, i have formatted the internal memory/drive but only one drive is fat32 and the other one is fat12.

now mydrive wont find my tomtom, i am guessing i need to make them 2 drive into fat32, i think that is why mydrive wont connect.

also 1 drive is only 1mb but the other one is 14.3 gb.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Hi @froggy8

Assuming you are referring to your Premium X listed in your profile why have you formatted the unit. The device is designed to operate without the need of a PC except when there is no available Wifi and connection to PC is purely to give not access to the internet and all functions are controlled from the device .

Doug
  • froggy8
    Master Explorer
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @froggy8

Assuming you are referring to your Premium X listed in your profile why have you formatted the unit. The device is designed to operate without the need of a PC except when there is no available Wifi and connection to PC is purely to give not access to the internet and all functions are controlled from the device .

Doug

thank you for the reply

it started when i took the tomtom home and on the tomtom it said there was updates to download so i did the update then that is when the problem started.
    it would be stuck on recovery mode so i had to connect it to pc to restroe but the restore just kept cycling round. when it gets to 100, it restarts then shows the recovery mode, it kept doing that then all of a sudden 2 windows popped up and on each window it said this drive needed formatting which i stupidly clicked on ok.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @froggy8
    Welcome to the site....
    Your GO Premium X update using Wi-Fi or MyDrive Connect....
    Get MyDriveConnect... Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

The Tomtom(Wi-Fi) connected devices like your GO Premium X normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

zzb10t6jrg2v.jpg
    Updating the device....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items

Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained....
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

There's no need to log in to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop, it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... A new version of MyDrive Connect has been released.....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1130566/a-new-version-of-mydrive-connect-released

When using the latest MyDrive Connect, the menu flow has changed....
    Now, when using the latest version of MyDrive connect to update a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB, it >> APPEARS << that you can update the device using the MyDrive Connect menu structure... When in fact this is >> NOT << the case....

Clicking on the update button only opens the new MyDrive Connect "Splash screen" saying "UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY" etc...

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have no access to the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices.....

If you choose to update a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB....
    MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window'

em7rmo28tl38.jpg
    That is displaying "UPDATE DEVICE THE EASY WAY" Splash screen...

a1a9r6jyfdho.jpg
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device... Even if you are updating using USB... The updating method is the same as using Wi-Fi....
    All the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items....
    If a Operating System Software update (Navcore) is required... Deselect the remaining updates, install the Navcore update 1st....

The Navcore Software Update is Mandatory, you cannot deselect the update....
    lvf6a0pjrt8t.jpg
    Then install the remaining updates....
    I always install the update one at a time....
    There's less chance of a log jam on the Server....
    iofr8x26j4oi.jpg
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    Hi Again....
    If Recovery Mode has Automatically Started on your device....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1772427/#Comment_1772427

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • froggy8
    Master Explorer
    thank you

i cant do any of the above.

all my device is doing is white screen.

if i can somehow connect to mydrive then hopefully i can restore the device back to normal.

many thanks
  • froggy8
    Master Explorer
    oh, another thing.

when i formatted the internal memory, i did a data recovery and got most of it back then copied it all back on the 14.3 gb drive but it is still showing white screen.

perhaps when i did the data recovery, it might have got corrupted.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Hi @froggy8

Making sure the unit is well charged try Pressing and Holding in the ON/OFF button for 20 seconds plus and if you hear a Drumroll Sound let the button go.

Doug
  • froggy8
    Master Explorer
    forgot to mention, there is no drum roll sound anymore, not since i formatted the drives.

if i can somehow find a way to reinstall the firmware/software then i have a big feeling that will sort everything out.