Amigo Variance in Speed compared to car speedo

gillceconnor
gillceconnor Registered Users Posts: 1
New Seeker
Hi I have been using your amigo app for the last week – its great. I have a manual speedo on my car and have been noticing that there seems to be a different of approx. 5kph between what I see on my speedo and what appears on the app. Can you clarify what might be the issue or why that difference is showing up?

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Hi @gillceconnor

The speedos in vehicle are required to be within 10% but must not indicate a higher than true figure. The GPS units are not so restricted and so tend to indicate a lower figure than the Speedo shows. You usually find that if you pass a sign indicating what it thinks your speed is that the figure is lower than your Speedo indicates.

Doug
  • nigelbbb
    nigelbbb Registered Users Posts: 111
    Supreme Navigator
    Car speedos universally display a higher speed than the actual speed of the car. The speed you see on the satnav is the true speed.

Here in the UK you won't get a speeding ticket unless you exceed the speed limit by 10% + 2mph. This means that on a road with a speed limit of 70mph you won't get a ticket unless you are travelling at 79mph. I set my cruise control to match 75mph on the TomTom GO Navigation app & have never received a speeding ticket. The speed indicated on my speedo is about 5mph more than is displayed on the satnav.