TomTom Go European Maps - Subscription Lengths & Cost?

(I do not currently own a TomTom so I do not have access to this information.)
Hi I am looking to buy a TomTom Go but on the official website it does not mention the duration of the maps, nor the cost of the maps & other subscription services it supports?
(I'm switching sides to TomTom after Garmin refused to honour my Life Time maps, and tried to sell me them at a huge cost.)

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,871
    Superuser
    Answer โœ“
    Hi @Grit234

All the currently advertised TT Units include "Lifetime Maps". Tomtom have declared some devices obsolete however these are devices with circa 2gb of internal memory or less and in many cases have no facility to add extra memory. The current devices have 16 GB of internal memory and the option to add up to 32GB of extra memory for Maps, except for 32gb internal memory and no option for extra memory on the New Discovery/Expert models.

It should be noted that Tomtom are still honouring the Lifetime Map updates on the units declared obsolete. so whilst you cannot buy new maps for the units they can be kept uptodate re the maps they were supplied with originally many years ago.

All the units are supplied with the maps referred to on the website so for example the GO Classic comes with Europe if that is the region it is purchased in. Where the devices come with World Maps then that offers access to all the Car based Maps that Tomtom offer for no extra charge.

Some units come with Lifetime cameras etc or there is a charge after 3 , 6 or 12 months depending on the model. What one are you interested in and I can try and advise you.

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer โœ“
    Hi @Grit234

The Classic , Essential and Discover units all require the use of a Android or Apple based Smart Phone to be paired via Bluetooth to connect them to the TT servers for the Traffic Data. You could look for a GO6100, GO6200 or GO Premium units as they have an inbuilt Mobile sim which avoids the need to pair the devices to a phone and there are no on costs for the data used by the device. It should be noted that the inbuilt sims work via 2g which is likely to be turned Off in the UK sometime in the next few years after which you will still be able to use the units but by pairing them with a phone. 2g is still working in Europe except Switzerland which turned it off this year as will the other countries eventually no doubt.

On all the units you can Type Hospital in search and they will list the in order of distance from where you are. Just avoid the Veterinarian ones. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ You can save places you are likely or regularly visit as favourites so you can easily select them whenever you want them .

If there is anything else you would like to know please ask.

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer โœ“
    Hi @Grit234

Yes it does however be aware its not all junctions but Motorway and some A road junctions. The latter is likely to be where there are more than 2 lanes on the A road for example where I live the A2 is 4 lanes and it has lane guidance where you exit near us.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer โœ“
    Hi @Grit234

All the currently advertised TT Units include "Lifetime Maps". Tomtom have declared some devices obsolete however these are devices with circa 2gb of internal memory or less and in many cases have no facility to add extra memory. The current devices have 16 GB of internal memory and the option to add up to 32GB of extra memory for Maps, except for 32gb internal memory and no option for extra memory on the New Discovery/Expert models.

It should be noted that Tomtom are still honouring the Lifetime Map updates on the units declared obsolete. so whilst you cannot buy new maps for the units they can be kept uptodate re the maps they were supplied with originally many years ago.

All the units are supplied with the maps referred to on the website so for example the GO Classic comes with Europe if that is the region it is purchased in. Where the devices come with World Maps then that offers access to all the Car based Maps that Tomtom offer for no extra charge.

Some units come with Lifetime cameras etc or there is a charge after 3 , 6 or 12 months depending on the model. What one are you interested in and I can try and advise you.

Doug
  • Grit234
    Grit234 Registered Users Posts: 4
    New Seeker
    Thanks for getting in touch.
    I'm thinking of a TomTom GO Classic 6" so far.
    I rarely drive outside my local town normally, but I have had to start driving out to Hospitals in other counties, and I suffer from severe anxiety (especially driving), so I'm looking for an affordable, easy to use Sat Nav, with a good display.
    I would like every driving assist I can get, but I worry about prices as I'm a bit hard up currently.
    Which model would you recommend?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer โœ“
    Hi @Grit234

The Classic , Essential and Discover units all require the use of a Android or Apple based Smart Phone to be paired via Bluetooth to connect them to the TT servers for the Traffic Data. You could look for a GO6100, GO6200 or GO Premium units as they have an inbuilt Mobile sim which avoids the need to pair the devices to a phone and there are no on costs for the data used by the device. It should be noted that the inbuilt sims work via 2g which is likely to be turned Off in the UK sometime in the next few years after which you will still be able to use the units but by pairing them with a phone. 2g is still working in Europe except Switzerland which turned it off this year as will the other countries eventually no doubt.

On all the units you can Type Hospital in search and they will list the in order of distance from where you are. Just avoid the Veterinarian ones. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ You can save places you are likely or regularly visit as favourites so you can easily select them whenever you want them .

If there is anything else you would like to know please ask.

Doug
  • Grit234
    New Seeker
    Thanks. I have one final question about Lane Guidance. I am terrible at roundabouts and junctions at knowing which lane I need. Do the cheaper models like the Classic show detailed lane information (like if I need the middle lane or right lane etc)?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer โœ“
    Hi @Grit234

Yes it does however be aware its not all junctions but Motorway and some A road junctions. The latter is likely to be where there are more than 2 lanes on the A road for example where I live the A2 is 4 lanes and it has lane guidance where you exit near us.

Doug
  • Grit234
    New Seeker
    Thank you for your help today.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Grit234

Your welcome.

Doug