Online when Internet through wifi is interupted

mvanheesch
mvanheesch Registered Users Posts: 22
Outstanding Explorer
Hi,

My car had a wifi hotspot and in some areas the internet through that hotspot provider is not available. Therefore the wifi shows a explanation mark and 4g of my phone is used for the internet. Google Maps, Waze, all apps on my phone 'see' this and all are working.
Except for TomTom online services. My online traffic etc is down, until I really disable the wifi.

Why doesn't TomTom see the alternative 4g connection on my phone when wifi internet is down?

Using a Galaxy S9 running Android 10.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi,

In checked and the data usage setting is fine (no restrictions). I thought it was only happening when the wifi internet is down, but today I noticed that even with a very good Internet through wifi I didn't have TomTom online, see attached screenshot.

zxeed51rjytj.jpg

Any ideas?

• mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    This morning a strange thing again. With my wifi and good Internet I started TomTom and got a warning. My Subscription ended it showed me (but I am subscribed until 2022). So disabled wifi, restarted TomTom and all is fine. Wifi enabled, restarted TomTom and all is fine again...

mz6atbpee9l9.jpg
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Have been testing a couple of days during the holidays, but with Wifi it just doesn't work. Even with a very good Internet through wifi, TomTom doesn't go online for the traffic info, etc. As soon as a disable wifi it goes online. All other apps are working without any issues.

I can't disable my wifi in the car as Android Auto is using it for the wireless.

Can this be investigated?
  • MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 560
    Revered Pioneer
    edited August 2021
    No problems here with my setup while toggling Wifi <> 4G.
    Traffic detection starts immediately.
    No traffic breaks or missing guidance commands.

But you are right, it has to be investigated for Samsung devices.
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    @szachowa , do you have any update on this?

Thanks in advance!
  • Keeszelf
    Keeszelf Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Use 3G internet!
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    @Keeszelf , like said. Can't disable wifi as it is used for Android Auto. Also yesterday tried to force 3g for TomTom, but then still no online TomTom.
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 491 Staff
    mvanheesch wrote: »
    @szachowa , do you have any update on this?

Thanks in advance!

No update yet.
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    @szachowa, I installed Amigo today and started it and the TomTom Go for the same route. In the screenshots attached you can see that the Amigo sees all traffic fine, but Go is not. So it seems Go related.5pycb53og28t.jpg
    23ahc9iif3v9.jpg
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Hi @mvanheesch

In the picture of the GO App it says you were not connected to Tomtom Traffic.

Doug
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @DougLap ,

Correct, that is the issue. Why not? I am fully subscribed and Internet access is working fine.
  • MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 560
    Revered Pioneer
    edited August 2021
    TT live service servers are sometimes in downtime for software or hardware maintenance.

This week I got the error for 1 hour too.
    Then switched to GMaps.

In earlier times these effects occurred more then this year.
    Since the app is not trying to reconnect to TT live services in very short intervals in the background automatically, there is a little chance to get the traffic information stream back by manually switching OFF/ON the mobile data in the smartfone's settings.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited September 2021
    Hi @mvanheesch

Are all the options in Tomtom Services turned on and also both options in Settings/System/My Information turned on.

Also does Traffic normally work in the TT Go Nav App but on this occasion it has not.

Doug
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @DougLap,

Yes, all is checked and verified. The issue seems always to be there. If it was due to the maintenance, then it should be occasionally and I assume that also Amigo then should not be able to show traffic...
    First I thought it was only when Wifi was used (used for Android Auto wireless), but after disconnecting the Wifi, the issue is still there for Go. All other apps, including Amigo don't have any issues at all, also not through the Wifi.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @mvanheesch

If you never get Traffic then I would first try completely deleting the GO Nav App and after turning the Phone Off and On reloading to see if the resolves the issue.

Doug
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @DougLap,

That's exactly what I have started 15 min ago :-). But downloading maps takes some time here in France at the holiday location...
    Recently I joined the beta, maybe something went wrong there. That's why I also thought to give a reinstall a try.

Will give an update later this week.
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @szachowa and @DougLap,

I removed Go completely, rebooted the phone and cleared cache completely. Reinstalled Go, approved all permissions, downloaded maps, put in my subscription account, etc.

Unfortunately the issue is still there. All apps are working online, including Amigo online, but Go online services still not available.

Any ideas?
  • szachowa
    Hi @mvanheesch, no idea, very strange issue indeed.

To summarise, you are able to reproduce this issue every time while passing this particular place in France?

I can try to check it at my desk with mocked location, but my phone is connected to different network, so most probably I won't see it :(
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @szachowa ,

Yes, In can reproduce it every time. Not only a particular place in France. Also e.g. in Italy it happens and it looks like the issue is always there.

I was searching some yesterday and it very much looks like the issue also mentioned in the IOs topic in the TomTom Discussion Group. Something with the 4G... My car and my phone also have 4G!
    That issue seems to be there already a very long time and TomTom hasn't fixed it yet, which seems to frustrate users a lot.

Is there any update on that maybe?
  • szachowa
    Hi @mvanheesch, I will check with iOS team. My assumption is IPv6, but I'm not sure if this is anyhow related.
  • szachowa
    Hi @mvanheesch, please provide us additional info that can help us:
    • What 4G network are you connected to?
    • Are you on roaming (I can see from screens that you are on roaming)?

I have created GONAV-4045. I have already talked to iOS team about this issue.
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @szachowa ,

I am indeed roaming currently. My Skoda car uses Cubic Telecom which roams with whatever provider it can connect to. I don't have any insight in what provider it is using currently.

My phone is roaming using KPN F-Bouygues (see screenshot).cew0ypbwut3g.jpg

Just to confirm, also when only using my phone the issue is there! Not only when using the cars hotspot.

Thanks for all the assistance! Really appreciated!
  • szachowa
    We are investigating how to address this issue, since without additional logging in the app, we are unable to help, I will keep this thread updated.
  • mvanheesch
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi @szachowa,

Any update yet?
    I follow the iphone traffic issues as well and it really looks very similar. People already have issues for a very long time and still no fix....

I am very curious when TomTom will start take this traffic issue seriously.