TomTom Go5200 which does not seem to recognise the built in SIM.

KurtShoot
KurtShoot Registered Users Posts: 11
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hello,
I have a TomTom Go5200 which does not seem to recognise the built in SIM. In 'About', under 'GPRS Model' it always says Disconnected. I can connect to WIFI at home and to my phone via Bluetooth in the car and then all life services work fine. However, it would be nice if the SIM card works!

I am hoping there is a solution to this problem.

Many thanks.
Kurt

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,826
    Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hi
    @KurtShoot
    Welcome to the site....
    You haven't stated your location ??? Australia & Switzerland have ended the 2G phone services so no GPRS SIM signal....

Tomtom video shows what you can do when the Traffic services are not working on your navigation device....

Be aware that a Live Device... The SIM card is automatically deactivated if the Live Traffic on the device has NOT been used for 18 months....
    Tomtom sends emails to the affected users and give 28 days notice before deactivating the SIM card... in the above circumstance the deactivated SIM cannot be reactivated....

Maybe worth consideration... I think the SIM contacts oxidize over time and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....

The SIM cards for the Live NAV3, NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices are located under concealed flaps and/or stickers in various location on the devices....
    On the GO 5200/6200... The SIM Card is situated under the sticker bearing the serial number....
    acrlkaji0g4o.jpg
    I think the SIM contacts tarnish/oxidize over time, and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....
    With the device turned OFF...
    Carefully remove the sticker... It's advisable to use Antistatic precautions when handling the SIM... You will need a pair of fine pointed tweezers to remove the SIM....
    If you pull out the SIM a little way, and reinsert it, repeat this a few times, it should now remake a good connection....
    I used double-sided sticky tape to replace the Serial Number sticker....

Warning... The above will void your Tomtom guarantee....
    All the usual disclaimers apply, all the above is at your own discretion

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • KurtShoot
    KurtShoot Registered Users Posts: 11
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

The device had not been used for quite a while, so it looks like the SIM card was deactivated.

Shame, but at least now I know why it doesn't work anymore.

Many thanks
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,857
    Superuser
    Hi @KurtShoot

Contact Customer Support Via a Chat and ask them about the sim as they can confirm if it is active or not.

Doug