How do I download the last compatible map of the USA for my TomTom Start 55M?

TTS55M
TTS55M Registered Users Posts: 9
Master Explorer
Currently, my gps says that there are no available maps. The memory seems almost full so I know I can at least download and install the last updated map for my device. Please help me, thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• nabu
    nabu Posts: 16,890
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    full memory add a mini sd of 32 gb max
    you have to buy the card but check that you can with the first 2 letters of your device

https://www.tomtom.com/fr_fr/drive/maps-services/shop/travel-map/usa/
  • TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    Hi nabu, thanks for your quick reply! I apologize for not being clear enough. What I meant to indicate is, the device may have been wiped clean in error, so therefore, its memory status is currently 49.1MB used and 3667.8MB free.

I do not have access to "Purchase Maps" under the TomTom Home PC application. Also, when I click on "Update my START", nothing is available as the list is empty.

So now I have a device that is working fine, its just that I don't have any maps. I know its an outdated product, but all I want is the last compatible map of the US/Canada that was available for the device so that I can continue using the GPS.

The first two characters of my serial number is: GZ

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • nabu
     Superuser
    @TTS55M
    I think that the moderation of the forum will see your message 49,1mo it is the operating software @VikramK should be able to help you to find your card
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,452
    Revered Voyager
    TTS55M wrote: »
    Hi nabu, thanks for your quick reply! I apologize for not being clear enough. What I meant to indicate is, the device may have been wiped clean in error, so therefore, its memory status is currently 49.1MB used and 3667.8MB free.

I do not have access to "Purchase Maps" under the TomTom Home PC application. Also, when I click on "Update my START", nothing is available as the list is empty.

So now I have a device that is working fine, its just that I don't have any maps. I know its an outdated product, but all I want is the last compatible map of the US/Canada that was available for the device so that I can continue using the GPS.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello,
    You don't have a backup of your map on the computer?
  • nabu
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    Hello,
    You don't have a backup of your map on the computer?

it's a nav 3/4

abod9y5kxre6.png
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    The Start 55 is a Nav 2 it is managed with Tomtom Home.
  • nabu
     Superuser
    4p6rj0ug50fv.png
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    TTS55M wrote: »

• TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    nabu, thanks for the response. I hope a moderator sees this conversation because I am due to arrive at IAH tomorrow morning. I have until 5pm AST (today) to get at least a US map installed on the device, otherwise I will be forced to consider an alternative.

Willy875, I must accept responsibility for my failure to not back up my device properly on my pc. Since I failed to do this, I do not have any back-ups.

I simply assumed that I could have logged onto the TomTom HOME app and downloaded the last available map for free since I "freed up" space on the device itself.

I really hope I don't have a "dead" device. I purchased it on July 2015 via Amazon and I was hoping this investment would last me at least another year or two again since its a really great product.

***grinds fingers***
  • nabu
     Superuser
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
  • TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    nabu, thanks for the link. It appears its done for. I saw my model listed which reconfirms that I have a non supported device. I just wish that the last available compatible map could have been downloaded once again onto the device even though I know that I run the risk of not having the latest map. If there is anyone that can help me between now and before I check-in my luggage at the airport (not allowed to have the device in my carry-on), I would be grateful.
  • nabu
     Superuser
    as we are here at night

I would try to connect to my drive connect

the software may see that you no longer have a card and offer you one to download
  • TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    thanks nabu but unfortunately, my device is not compatible with MyDriveConnect so I'm stuck with TomTom HOME.
  • nabu
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    I am not convinced that its tom-tom home your device is n nav 3

so my drive connect

Google translation ;)
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    nabu wrote: »
    I am not convinced that its tom-tom home your device is n nav 3

so my drive connect

"GZ"> START 50 (2012) / 55, 4 Go, TomTom HOME NAV2
  • nabu
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    nabu wrote: »
    4p6rj0ug50fv.png

vois ca avec tonton max
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    edited August 2021
    See what with?
    the Start 55 gives the serial number starts with GZ it is an American GPS.
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,791
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    @nabu :
    @Willy875 is right. The Strat 55 with GZ is a Nav2 device and mannaged with TT Home.

See the official Help page: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015808079-Which-TomTom-START-device-do-you-have-

But the device is EOL
  • TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    edited August 2021
    Thank you all. I have a new question. What do I do with a device that is EOL and has no maps? Do I simply throw it away or do I give it to a toddler to play with? Do I solicit some hacker to reflash and re-install another map? Any suggestions?

I'm sitting here (albeit disappointed) but partly also on myself because just 12 or so hours ago, my device had maps on it. I know for a fact I'm not the only one here with an EOL product, probably 'mapless' or with an outdated map who wishes to do something about it. After all, to throw away something that did not come free is pretty hard to do, especially in these times.
  • nabu
     Superuser
    @VikramK should be able to activate a card for you but tomorrow
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,791
     Superuser
    Please wait to hear from the moderator.
    I read sometimes in the German forum that it was often possible to activate map version 10.0. Unfortunately, I don't know whether this applies to all devices.
  • TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    Thanks guys, I'll wait on the mod! Hopefully this can be sorted before I board the aircraft.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,815
    Answer ✓
    Hi @TTS55M
    I have reactivated the map, but since the version is old, I am not 100% sure if it's still available on our servers.
    Please connect the device to TomTom HOME and check for updates.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • TTS55M
    Master Explorer
    Hi Vikram, thank you so much for your help! Here's the thing, the device is already in my luggage and the next time I'm seeing it would be at baggage claim in IAH (Houston). When I reach to the hotel and connect to wifi, would I still have access? Thanks again for your help.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
     Superuser
    edited August 2021
    I assume you mean that you will be connecting your notebook via wifi and Home is installed on the notebook.

(The device itself does not have Wifi).

If indeed it is the notebook you're asking about, it will work BUT hopefully it is reasonably fast Wifi in the hotel to download a map.