No Notification for Faster Route Available

HommeBlanc
HommeBlanc Registered Users Posts: 5
Master Explorer
Is it just me or do others who use the iOS TomTom Go App (latest version 2.6.1) not get an audio notification when a faster route is available? Seems to have disappeared… Can’t find an option in any of the settings. If I happen to be looking at the screen at the time one is available it shows in green but it is so, so easy to miss and end up stuck in traffic. I’m sure it used to warn of a faster route available, has it been removed ?

Comments

• nigelbbb
    nigelbbb Registered Users Posts: 111
    Supreme Navigator
    Yes. In yet another incomprehensible design/development decision by TomTom the 'Always take the fastest route' option was removed.

TomTom don't seem to understand that taking the fastest route is the primary function of a satnav. Why would anyone not want to take the fastest route?

At the very least there needs to be an audio warning that a faster route is available so the driver doesn't need to be watching the satnav map all the time just on the off chance that a faster route marked in green is going to appear.
  • Rob19
    Rob19 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Outstanding Explorer
    This used to work brilliantly until several versions ago when they inexplicably broke it by switching to “decide by steering “ which is unusable in most real world situations.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    I had already passed on this feedback shortly after the introduction of "decide by steering". The complete abandonment of the pre-selection of the fastest route was probably not such a good decision. The team will improve this.
  • Kingo1
    Kingo1 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Legendary Explorer
    I hope it will come vack with an option where you will be presented with an option stating a faster route is available - and you have to press yes to chose it.
  • Feckweed405
    Feckweed405 Registered Users Posts: 85
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Decide by steering on a large multi lane highway is unsafe and I just go to the next exit and reroute or just stay on the less quick route or worse yet switch to Waze or even Apple Maps. It makes little sense without checking with us, the customers.
  • gallafent
    gallafent Registered Users Posts: 13
    Legendary Explorer
    Kingo1 wrote: »
    I hope it will come vack with an option where you will be presented with an option stating a faster route is available - and you have to press yes to chose it.

Before it was removed, you could configure the app to one of three states: “always take the fastest” / “ask me” / “don't change” — this choice was fine and seems to cover all eventualities (my preferred option is the first, you would choose the second … and we're both happy! Adding “by steering” as a fourth option or otherwise combining it with “ask me” would seem to make sense).

As it is, we have to decide by steering. Alternatively, and in my case, I decided (not by steering) to use a different app for now and keep an eye on this forum to see when the removed feature is reintroduced, at which point I might well resubscribe unless I've become sufficiently happy with one of the alternatives by that time!
  • gallafent
    gallafent Registered Users Posts: 13
    Legendary Explorer
    (A slightly amusing observation: this feature is still present in the Android app, under “Rerouting” in settings: you can choose between “Manual”, “Automatic”, and “None” … so removing this feature from the iPhone app actually took it from close to feature parity with Android, to further from it!!)
  • Realavdstege
    Realavdstege Registered Users Posts: 20
    Master Explorer
    When comes itback? I use the ios version on mu vacantion first time and i hate it due a lot of missingi had in android

So i use my old anddroid for tomtom

Why functionality not same

And when we receive new version for ios
  • Feckweed405
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    gallafent wrote: »
    (A slightly amusing observation: this feature is still present in the Android app, under “Rerouting” in settings: you can choose between “Manual”, “Automatic”, and “None” … so removing this feature from the iPhone app actually took it from close to feature parity with Android, to further from it!!)

The android app gets updated and stills allows for a choice for rerouting (very much more safe) , the amiGo apps get updates and even a new icon but we who I assume all pay for this service on iOS have seen little of anything in many months. TomTom shouldn’t have completely updated the app last year if they plan on killing it or limping it along like this.
  • Kingo1
    Legendary Explorer
    Anyone knows when option “ask me” if a faster route is available , will be back? So tired of driving with TomTom currently :(
  • Feckweed405
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Anyone knows when option “ask me” if a faster route is available , will be back? So tired of driving with TomTom currently :(
    Please TomTom, it’s unsafe!
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    edited September 2021
    We're currently testing "Always take the fasted route" so hopefully we can bring it back with the next update to the app.
  • Palferman
    Palferman Registered Users Posts: 129
    Supreme Navigator
    Hope the “ ask me” option will be there as well. I’ve been caught too many times driving down narrow country lanes for the sake of saving one or two minutes using the “automatic” option. Learnt to ignore the faster route unless there was a significant time saving
  • Rob19
    Rob19 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Outstanding Explorer
    Palferman wrote: »
    Hope the “ ask me” option will be there as well. I’ve been caught too many times driving down narrow country lanes for the sake of saving one or two minutes using the “automatic” option.

I could not agree more. Having the app, for example, automatically route off a highway into an unknown area late at night could be dangerous. Omitting the “ask me” option would make the app even worse than it is now. It needs to go back to where it was before the ill considered “decide by steering “ was introduced.
  • Palferman
    Palferman Registered Users Posts: 129
    Supreme Navigator
    I have to say I found “decide by steering” on my Go5000 really good. Gave really early warning of the change in routing, so much so that you had time to toggle between N up and 3D to see where the route was taking you. Was doing a lot of miles in those days but not so many now. Haven’t had chance to try it out yet on the app but if it was to give a late warning too close to a junction/intersection I’d just ignore it
  • Feckweed405
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Palferman wrote: »
    I have to say I found “decide by steering” on my Go5000 really good. Gave really early warning of the change in routing, so much so that you had time to toggle between N up and 3D to see where the route was taking you. Was doing a lot of miles in those days but not so many now. Haven’t had chance to try it out yet on the app but if it was to give a late warning too close to a junction/intersection I’d just ignore it

Glad to hear it works for yo? In the south central US [Oklahoma City, Tulsa, DFW) with many traffic lanes it wants me to get over many lanes within a mile or less, which just isn’t safe. Like android there just needs to be an option for this. Can’t believe it doesn’t have it already. Soon I hope, soon!
  • Kingo1
    Legendary Explorer
    Jürgen wrote: »
    We're currently testing "Always take the fasted route" so hopefully we can bring it back with the next update to the app.
    When is that? The current situation is so unprofessional. This and the fact that you cant load the app on Carplay after IOS15 is embarrassing for TomTom…
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,966
    'Always take the fastest route' setting is now available with version 2.7.2

Best, lampard
This discussion has been closed.