TomTom GO 500 - No maps found! How to get my deleted map files back?

DumbDumbGo
DumbDumbGo Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
I had my map of Europe on a SDcard.
I deleted the map files (8 .rar files, I believe) on the SD card, so that I would have free space for the new map update.
But now my TomTom says "No maps available".
Is there a way that I can get my map(s) back?

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 14,712 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Answer ✓
    Hi @DumbDumbGo
    Your TomTom(Nav4) GO 500 comes with World maps.
    My advice would be to try the steps as below-

1. Disconnect the device from the computer and remove the SD card from the device.
    2. Delete the downloads from the HOME3 folder, see -
    ialcd7f0v08a.png

3. Without the SD card, connect the device to the computer and check for updates under 'My Content' tab.

t4fwxj3b8mpo.png

4. When maps are offered as downloads, install a smaller map like Venezuela to the internal memory of the device.

Once the download is complete, disconnect the device and perform a soft reset.

The device should stop displaying 'No maps found'.

Format the SD card on the computer first and inserted is into the device. You will be prompted to format the memory card on the device.

Now connect the device again to MyDrive Connect and check for updates.
    Again, see the available downloads under 'My Content' tab.

The map of Europe should be offered as a download. Install it to the external memory card.

Thanks,
    Vikram

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @DumbDumbGo
    Welcome to the site....
    Is the device the old NAV2 GO 500 EOL (End of life)
    (updates using Tomtom Home)
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up Tomorrow, and if the old map is still available on the Tomtom servers, allocate it to your Tomtom Account.....

Or is the device a much later NAV4 GO 500
    (Updates using MyDrive Connect)
    Important Catch22....
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators can allocate a small local map to your Account to act as a 'Keeper' to force the Main Map to install on the SDHC Memory card....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 14,712 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Answer ✓
    Hi @DumbDumbGo
    Your TomTom(Nav4) GO 500 comes with World maps.
    My advice would be to try the steps as below-

1. Disconnect the device from the computer and remove the SD card from the device.
    2. Delete the downloads from the HOME3 folder, see -
    ialcd7f0v08a.png

3. Without the SD card, connect the device to the computer and check for updates under 'My Content' tab.

t4fwxj3b8mpo.png

4. When maps are offered as downloads, install a smaller map like Venezuela to the internal memory of the device.

Once the download is complete, disconnect the device and perform a soft reset.

The device should stop displaying 'No maps found'.

Format the SD card on the computer first and inserted is into the device. You will be prompted to format the memory card on the device.

Now connect the device again to MyDrive Connect and check for updates.
    Again, see the available downloads under 'My Content' tab.

The map of Europe should be offered as a download. Install it to the external memory card.

Thanks,
    Vikram
  • DumbDumbGo
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi YamFazMan and VikramK,

I was hoping one of you guys would answer. ;)
    I will try your advice tonite and get back to you with the results.
  • DumbDumbGo
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks guys!
    I took a while, but I managed getting everything back up and running again.
    B)
    Thank you very much for helping out people like me. :#