3.1.75 constantly crashing at first startup on Android headunit

SledDriver
SledDriver Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Traveler
Anyone else seeing this?

These both work fine.

3.1.75 is a no go for me on my android head unit. Crashes consistently before I even get to the UI.

Rolled back to 3.1.48 and it's all good again.

Hope 3.1.83 fixes whatever is wrong with it.

Comments

• tomrom
    tomrom Registered Users Posts: 10
    Master Traveler
    Same with my head unit on Android 6
    And also on my Samsung S5 mini / Android 6.0.1

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,964
    Hi @SledDriver

Can you provide us with more details about the Android head unit? (Like Model, Android version)

@tomrom We'll need a model name and App version installed on the headunit.

Thanks, lampard
  • SledDriver
    Master Traveler
    edited July 2021
    Hi @lampard,

Thanks for your interest.

The head unit is an Xtrons PSP90F2F, Android 10, which has run all the TT Go releases reliably since I bought the unit in Feb this year.

https://xtrons.co.uk/ford-various-android-10-quad-core-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-psp90f2f

The unit has 2GB ram, which is plenty as it only runs TT Go and Spotify most of the time, and while both of those are running, there is still around 800MB of RAM free.

I've gone back to TT Go 3.1.48 and it has worked perfectly on that today. 3.1.48 and previous versions have run smoothly and reliably on the unit on countless journeys over the last 5 months, including some very long journeys with multiple stop waypoints along complex routes.

So it seems something has changed in 3.1.75 which isn't compatible with my hardware or OS. I tried this version many times, including rebooting the head unit several times, and eventually doing a factory reset of the head unit and installing only TT Go on it, but even then 3.1.75 continued to crash completely consistently. Almost all the time it crashed at the point where the little car graphic is running around the dual circles on the screen, long before I get to the main TT Go UI.

I sincerely hope that whatever is wrong doesn't get carried forward to 3.1.83 which I see is due soon.

Hope this helps you understand what is happening.

Let me know if you need any more information, or want me to run any tests for you.

Regards,
    SledDriver

• lampard
    Hi @SledDriver

Thank you for explaining this! How are you rolling back to version 3.1.48? Have you downloaded the APK for these versions? Does your head unit have the Google play store on it?

The GO Navigation app has not been designed or tested for use with Android head units, so we can't guarantee that it will work with your current setup.

Best, lampard
  • SledDriver
    Master Traveler
    >Thank you for explaining this! How are you rolling back to version 3.1.48? Have you downloaded the APK for these versions?

Yes

> Does your head unit have the Google play store on it?

Yes

>The GO Navigation app has not been designed or tested for use with Android head units, so we can't guarantee that it will work with your current setup.

This is laughably lame. I just knew you would utter that phrase yet again.

• SledDriver
    Master Traveler
    edited August 2021
    I'd like to thank you for your contunued support with this serious issue of the product not working.

I'd like to, but unfortunately I can't, because you never followed up with even the slightest support after I took the time to provide a detailed answer toyour opening question.

I'd heard that TT support was unbelievably poor, and you just confirmed this.

Very sad that a company which used to lead the field no longer cares about their customers.

You are on a very uncertain legal footing with your stance about not supporting head units. Nothing of this was mentioned on the marketing materials of purchase page on the Android Play store.

You happily took my money.
  • John RF
    John RF Registered Users Posts: 14
    Master Explorer
    Facing the same problem. I haven't been able to use TomTom on my Android head unit since then. And this was days after I renewed my yearly subscription :/

@SledDriver, I agree with you that it's unaceptable that TomTom refuses to debug issues pertaining to Android head units. A company like TomTom cannot afford the luxury of neglecting some of its customers.
  • lampard
    edited November 2021
    Hello everyone!

If you're a Beta user, there's a fix introduced in version 3.3.30 which fixes the issue of the app closing right before the map has been shown on certain Android head units. Can you give it a try and see if there's an improvement?

Best, lampard