Android Auto: AmiGo Cameras better than TomTom GO

walkerx
walkerx Registered Users Posts: 333
Supreme Navigator
Again my TomTom Go crashed while using Android Auto after 75 minutes (which is quite common crashing after this period of time, it never used to, but recently it started happening on regular basis)

I then started AmiGo and even though not had route programmed in, the camera notifications where far superior to the paid TomTom Go app. Not only were the icons better on the Android Auto screen, put you also got a slide-in notification warning of the camera and its distance, not only that the audio notification was also better.

So as a paying subscriber of the TomTom Go, why does the free version have better features in areas? Surely these can be imported into the main Go app quite easily?

Comments

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,964
    Hi @walkerx

We are closely monitoring all crashes to improve stability. Can you provide us with the App ID (From Main Menu>🛈> About) via private message? [If you tap the AppID in the about screen, it will be copied to the phone clipboard.]

AmiGO is an online-only navigation app with a focus on community reporting which aims to provide TomTom Navigation to all. TomTom GO Navigation is designed to function as a TomTom Sat Nav and offers detailed offline maps (stored on the device).
    Not only were the icons better on the Android Auto screen, put you also got a slide-in notification warning of the camera and its distance, not only that the audio notification was also better.
    I'll mark this as an improvement request for my team. The team already working on improving the Android Auto screen with the ETA panel, adding a route bar with several small tweaks.

Please enable "Help us improve" in the app's privacy settings. The app then sends us anonymized logs in case it crashes.

Best, lampard
  • walkerx
    walkerx Registered Users Posts: 333
    Supreme Navigator
    edited July 2021
    @lampard will it still be the same app id after uninstalling and re-installing the app? Also tried both the beta and normal version and same results with the crashing.

I appreciate that AmiGo is online community driven version, but surely the enhancements on that app we should see on the main paid app.

Ie during driving I got notifications of the speed cameras both verbally and visually, which are both better than the paid app. I also got notifications of traffic issues and how far to them, routing gave a bit more information that the paid app (no fullscreen junction view, but this isn't always available on the paid app or the pnd's), advising take 3rd exit of roundabout then 2nd exit of next roundabount, or at fork in road take right or left, etc. Even the banner for directions was a lot better.

I just can't understand why a free app has some better features than the paid app and think the paid app should include enhancements of stuff from the free app.

Also the 'help us improve' option is already enabled, so should receive those logs.