Hi, having a problem connecting iphone 6 to my GO Essential.

jjmna
jjmna Registered Users Posts: 12
Apprentice Traveler
The iphone software is up-to-date it says, as of 23/07/21, and Go essential comes up on iphone's list of bluetooth devices. It says just tap to connect but always fails to pair.

Cannot download TomTom app as it says it needs iOS 13 and the latest software I can download for my i6 is 12 something.

Any solutions would be very welcome!

Thanks
JR

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,835
     Superuser
    Hi
    @jjmna
    Are you using an iPhone + The Tomtom MyDrive App ???
    There's an unresolved problem with the Apple iPhone iOS 13 & 14 the MyDrive App and the advanced Smartphone features....
    If you can live without the bells & whistles of the MyDrive App...
    Just use a straight simple Bluetooth Connection....
    Traffic will still work... MyDrive Route planning will work
    the only thing that does not work will be smartphone features....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1729911/#Comment_1729911

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jjmna
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi,
    As above, I can only try to connect by bluetooth as IPhone 6 is no longer supported by them past iOS 12

Consequently cannot download the IOs 13 or download and use the app so that is not the issue.

My 6 phone "sees" the TomTom as a bluetooth device but just will not pair and connect[

Have turned bluetooth off and on again umpteen times and tried to pair and connect but no joy.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @jjmna
    Have you followed the tips in the workaround….
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1729911/#Comment_1729911
    Have you also set up a Bluetooth Hotspot ???
    I'm running a iPhone 6 and iOS 12.5.4....
    The iPhone 6 connects OK over Bluetooth to my Rider 550 & GO Premium....
    (1)... Hands-free calls... Connected
    (2)... Data for Traffic & other services... Connected
    (Note... Normally 'Turned off' on the GO Premium... Data for Traffic & other services is normally over SIM Card)
    (3)... SmartPhone messages... Turned off

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jjmna
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi YFM,

Have tried all the above, have hotspot on, bluetooth on and can see my Go Essential as a bluetooth device on my iphone 6 as a device to be paired.

On the final stage it just will not pair up and connect, no matter if I turn bluetooth and hotspot off and on again it just will not make the final connection. Keeps saying it cannot connect - try again!

My software on both Go Essential is up to date as well as my iPhone 6 - It just will not make the final connection.

Both frustrating and annoying!

jjmna
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @jjmna
    Working OK for me....
    I've replied to another post today, the screenshots show My iPhone 6 OS 12.5.4.... Connected to my GO 620....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1770107/#Comment_1770107

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jjmna
    Apprentice Traveler
    Tried everything you suggest YFM but it still will not connect my Go Essential to my iPhone 6!

Both devices up to date - have hotspot on and bluetooth - but even though my phone has the Go Connect showing as a bluetooth device they will not connect - says " check device is in range" even though they are next to each other!

Is it a glitch with the Connect's latest software as has happened often in the past.?

I can't get through to anyone in TomTom to check if this is an issue - it just leads me back to this Forum which seems to rely on knowledgeble SuperUser volunteers who don't work for TomTom - am I correct in thinking this?

Is anyone from TomTom out there who can answer and resolve my problem??.

N.B. I cannot use the MyDrive App because it needs iOS 13 to operate it and iPhone 6 is no longer supported past iOS 12 so I am using the suggested method by TomTom of using a hot spot and bluetooth on my phone as previously stated above.

Thanks and looking forward to a solution if it is out there - somewhere?