TomTom Premium 5 inch World no traffic

ThereseRI
ThereseRI Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
In February 2021, just 5 months ago, I bought a TomTom Premium 5 inch World.
The connection to mydrive and traffic is lost within 10 minutes after turning on the TomTom.
Turning it off and on again doesn't help. It will take a few hours for the TomTom to connect to the services but again for less than 10 minutes.
This Tomtom was just purchased for the traffic information and is therefore unusable for me

According to the TomTom email support, this is an ongoing problem caused by the SIM card.
Unfortunately Tomtom does not want to repair or replace the device. "That does not solve the problem" according to TomTom email support.
I don't understand this because it would mean that many TomTom Premium devices have this problem and I can't imagine that.

Are there other users who also have this problem with this model?

Comments

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 539
     Superuser
    Hi there @ThereseRI -

Have you tried going into the menu settings under WiFi and removing your stored connection by pressing the “forget” tab? This should allow the built in SIM to take over properly as the WiFi link, even though out of range, is still hunting for the connection and possibly preventing the SIM to connect for data.
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    Wifi is off, and I had already pressed the forget tab. The sim connects only or a few minutes, during that time Mydrive works and I receive traffic information. Within 10 minutes the connection is completely broken.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @ThereseRI
    Welcome to the site....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1763247/#Comment_1763247

Is the Battery fully charged ???
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time....
    On the Models with a built-in SIM, The battery voltage level can be critical, the reduction of power can cause the dropping of the traffic information from the SIM Card....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1739335/#Comment_1739335

GPRS SIM connection on the Tomtom Live devices....
    There are 3 Data connection options that can have a higher/priority/override the Built-in GPRS SIM....
    To check the Data Connection status....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About…
    Scroll down to Data Connection & GPRS Status....
    What does the device report...???
    Is the GPRS Status... Connected ???

Further Info...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1752190/#Comment_1752190

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    Wiffi is off, forget wifi connection is already done
    Battery is fully charged.

At the moment:
    Data connection No (geen)
    GPRS-Status: No connection
    GPRS-model 16.01.202

A few minutes ago I did have a connection for a few minutes. at that moment I had an imei number an also a sim number.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @ThereseRI

Try contacting Customer Support via Chat and ask them to check your inbuilt sim

There are no phone lines working since the start of Covid.

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in then Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and after a few seconds Get in Touch also appears
    Tap Get in Touch
    You are now offered Chat If Chat is closed, ie its not normal working hours Mon/Fri, it will tell you the hours that it will be available.

Chat is busy you may have to try a few times.

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @ThereseRI
    Welcome to the site....
    Check the battery charge status....
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    @DougLap I have contacted Customer Support via chat. They have checked the sim and their reaction was as I mentioned before: "This is an ongoing problem caused by the SIM". On my question to repair or replace the device I was told: "That does not solve the problem"
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    Right top of the screen. uemoxewu2r1p.jpg
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @ThereseRI

Let us see what @VikramK has to say after he has viewed this and also the reaction from Customer support that you have indicated. Look back here tomorrow.

Doug
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Hi @ThereseRI -

I have noticed that you have mentioned using MyDrive a couple of times. Have you also by any chance linked the Bluetooth connection on your GO Premium via the MyDrive app?
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    @kieron Mydrive is installed on PC, I do not use the the Bluetooth connection .
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Hi @ThereseRI -

Thank you for your response.
    As @DougLap has suggested, it seems appropriate to await a response from @VikramK who will look into this matter especially as this is a recent purchase.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,810
    edited July 2021
    Hi @ThereseRI
    I think you already received an email from our customer service team to arrange a replacement/repair :)

GPRS status showing disconnected is a known connectivity issue reported under ticket CCARE-3199.

There are different reasons that could cause this error, and the fault may not be related to the hardware or the built-in SIM.

Further, after booking a repair, it has been observed that the replaced devices had the same issue reported again.
    That was also the reason our Customer Service team was advised to avoid booking repairs unless the root cause is identified.

While our teams are collecting all the required information to find a solution, unfortunately, we are not sure how much more time this could take.

Thanks,
    Vikram
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited July 2021
    @VikramK
    I did receive an email yesterday and sent the device today.
    I hope the replacement device works well.
    Thanks for your explanation.
  • ThereseRI
    Apprentice Traveler
    @VikramK
    Received a replacement device yesterday. Have had the device on a number of times for a long time and the traffic continues to work. Hopefully it stays that way