Can the Go Discover DEFINITELY access Google assistant or Siri and make/take calls via smartphone? — TomTom Community

Can the Go Discover DEFINITELY access Google assistant or Siri and make/take calls via smartphone?

noddyk9noddyk9 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
edited July 17 in GO Discover & GO Expert
I’ve searched the Net but can’t find an absolute answer to this.

I’ve just bought (but can return) a Go 6200 because it has voice control, can make and receive (via your smartphone) phone calls and gives me access to Google assistant via my smartphone. But the 6200 is so slow doing just about anything that I don’t know if I can live with it. I would buy the Discover in a heartbeat if it gives me the same call making/receiving abilities and Google assistant feature. But the only info I can find on it is this: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013958659-Connecting-your-phone-for-data-hands-free-calls-and-smartphone-messages

Unfortunately this does not make it clear that the Discover has these particular features. Only how to connect a Discover to you smart phone. Can anyone enlighten me please. Thanks.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    Hi @noddyk9

The GO Discover units do not have a Handsfree Phone call system.

Doug
  • noddyk9noddyk9 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks Doug. So is that just receiving calls on the Discover or making them as well?

So on my newly purchased Go 620 (which is actually a 2017 model) to make a call you would say ‘Hello TomTom’. Then after the subsequent beep you would say ‘Activate phone’. At this point Google Assistant would kick in (on my Android phone) and you would say something like ‘call my wife’. It would then dial her and, when my wife answered, put her through to the Go 620 speakers.

Likewise, instead of saying ‘call my wife’, after ‘activate phone’, if I say ‘what time is sunset today?’, Google Assistant would respond (in my case through my car speakers, since my phone is Bluetoothed to a FM transmitter, sending the transmission to the car radio) by giving me the time of sunset.

So for me it’s very important my TomTom is able to: a) ‘make’ Handsfree/voice activated calls, and b) have similar handsfree/voice activated access to Google assistant.

So can the Discover do both of these things? If it can, I’ll send back my new Go 620 and reorder the Discover.

Thanks.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    edited July 17
    Hi @noddyk9

The GO Discover units do not offer the Handsfree facility available on the GO620 or GO6200 whereby you can make or receive calls. When using Voice Control there is no option "Activate Phone" listed in the All Commands whereas it is a listed Vocal Command on your unit. The connection of the phone facilitates the Traffic and some Cameras data and nothing else. I have an iPhone and the GD Discover won't respond as it does not connect to Siri.

You say that the unit is slow. which it should not be once it is up and running after loading the software. Can you indicate what amount of Free memory you have on it, Menu/Settings/System/About as at least 400mb of Free Memory is required for Operating purposes and anything less will slow it up. You could also see whether a Soft Reset will hel which is usually a good idea to do after any updating as it sorts the files out.

.https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • noddyk9noddyk9 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks Doug. That’s a bit of a shame, I’d have definitely gone for the Discover if it had those features.

I’ll look into how much memory I have left. The only thing I’ve done to the unit since purchasing it earlier this week is installing the recommended updates.

Incidentally I made a mistake in my original post. I do not have the 6200, just the 620.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,657
    Superuser
    noddyk9 wrote: »
    Incidentally I made a mistake in my original post. I do not have the 6200, just the 620.
    Everything Doug said still applies to the 620 as well.