can I use tomtom on my android cell phone and not have data

lou1946lou1946 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
why is it so hard to speak to a live person

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,267
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @lou1946

I have the IOS version of the App and maybe @lampard could confirm whether the Android version is the same.

When you download the IOS App you can do this via Wifi and you will automatically download the map of the Region/State you are in. You can if required download other Regions/States of the US if you need them.

If you now use the App as downloaded after paying the subscription you would now only need Data to cover the Traffic facility. The amount of Data required for this is very small at approx 7mb of Data if you use the App for 1 hour a day for a month. This provides the App with information on the Traffic for about 50miles radius from your current position and updates as you move along and helps find faster routes if there are issues. . Because you have predownloaded the Maps you only need this Data and a very small amount when you are searching for Addresses and POI’s etc. So the demand for Data whilst using the App is very small if your concern was the high use of data because it could be downloading Map data as you move about. Should you find yourself away from Wifi and needing more mapping then you can download it but will require a data allowance on your phone to cover it.

There is an option in the IOS version whereby you can turn Off in Settings/System/information the provision of your current position. By doing this you will not get Traffic information but the App will still direct you so thus as far as I know you would not use Data as you go along. Thus the only Data you will need is that originally needed to download the App and Maps which you can do when connected to Wifi.

Hopefully this is helpful information from an older brother 😂😂. Hopefully @lampard can confirm the above and also there is no other Data demand.

Doug
  • lou1946lou1946 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks again for all your help!!
    Lou:

Answers

why is it so hard to speak to live person?
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 1,574 [Revered Pioneer]
    Yes, it is possible with Tomtom Go navigations the map is downloaded in the memory of your smartphone
    Thank you very much. At 75 years old all of this is greek to me. Is there a real person I can talk to?
    Thanks again:
    Lou:
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,267
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @lou1946

I have the IOS version of the App and maybe @lampard could confirm whether the Android version is the same.

When you download the IOS App you can do this via Wifi and you will automatically download the map of the Region/State you are in. You can if required download other Regions/States of the US if you need them.

If you now use the App as downloaded after paying the subscription you would now only need Data to cover the Traffic facility. The amount of Data required for this is very small at approx 7mb of Data if you use the App for 1 hour a day for a month. This provides the App with information on the Traffic for about 50miles radius from your current position and updates as you move along and helps find faster routes if there are issues. . Because you have predownloaded the Maps you only need this Data and a very small amount when you are searching for Addresses and POI’s etc. So the demand for Data whilst using the App is very small if your concern was the high use of data because it could be downloading Map data as you move about. Should you find yourself away from Wifi and needing more mapping then you can download it but will require a data allowance on your phone to cover it.

There is an option in the IOS version whereby you can turn Off in Settings/System/information the provision of your current position. By doing this you will not get Traffic information but the App will still direct you so thus as far as I know you would not use Data as you go along. Thus the only Data you will need is that originally needed to download the App and Maps which you can do when connected to Wifi.

Hopefully this is helpful information from an older brother 😂😂. Hopefully @lampard can confirm the above and also there is no other Data demand.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks again for all your help!!
    Lou:
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 322 [Supreme Navigator]
    Only problem you may have is if you use android auto, without internet when you start app on Android auto you can't use it
    Thanks for your help:
    Lou: