Show POI on maps — TomTom Community

Show POI on maps

Hi, I think this is the right section. I previously had older tomtom then used a garmin for a while but now owner of new via 62. So far happy with it but I have one question.

On my older tomtom I had an option to select what POI got displayed on the map. I can't seem to see that setting anymore has it been removed?

I don't really want to fath about uploading files etc as I do use "my routes" for journeys.

Is there anyway to have a few POI category permanently displayed on both maps when no route selected and on routes? Ie upcoming cash machines/petrol stations/restaurants?

Best Answer

  • nabunabu Posts: 16,156
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Cracking, after a way to display these as icons on the map when driving around if possible?

    for poi tomtom apart from parking service station
    Not possible

Answers

  • nabunabu Posts: 16,156
    Superusers
    Hello Settings / Appearance / Show poi on the map / Show
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,666
    Superusers
    edited July 11
    Hi
    @Lanky666
    Welcome to the site....
    The latests NAV4 or NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices.... Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

    See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive


    Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

    For More Info, See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1730281/#Comment_1730281

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    nabu wrote: »
    Hello Settings / Appearance / Show poi on the map / Show

    Did this just shows charging stations. Do I have to import a poi list from God know where on the Internet? If so that is a massive step backwards for tomtom was so much easier when had full list and just ticked or u ticked category.
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Lanky666
    Welcome to the site....
    The latests NAV4 or NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices.... Installing 3rd party POI Categories... You use the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

    See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive


    Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....

    For More Info, See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1730281/#Comment_1730281

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

    Thanks but trying to avoid importing bits and bibs, surely if I can search for something ie a supermarket can't the tomtom just display it on the map if not driving a route ie just driving around as that was great on previous older versions. Starting to wonder if should go back to older tomtom or garmin.
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After something like this if possible on my via 62

  • nabunabu Posts: 16,156
    Superusers
    You can import points of interest,
    but tomtom also has thousands inside the tomtom
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    nabu wrote: »
    You can import points of interest,
    but tomtom also has thousands inside the tomtom

    Cracking, after a way to display these as icons on the map when driving around if possible?
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]

    Think that's the older versions not via 62 as don't see that icon in menu and icons look completely different on my via 62
  • nabunabu Posts: 16,156
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Cracking, after a way to display these as icons on the map when driving around if possible?

    for poi tomtom apart from parking service station
    Not possible
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    nabu wrote: »
    Cracking, after a way to display these as icons on the map when driving around if possible?

    for poi tomtom apart from parking service station
    Not possible

    Thanks, what a backwards move by tomtom might be returning now, no wonder so many people switching to the likes of Google maps or smart phone gps/sat nav devices.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,666
    Superusers
    edited July 11
    HI
    @Lanky666
    In the past, Tomtom have stated there are over 7 Million built in POI locations... But they can only be displayed by a search....
    For a full list of Built-in POI Categories....
    See... https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/VIA_52_62/html/en-gb/index.htm#ListofPOItypeicons_1.htm
    To search for say a 'Restaurant'....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search --> Type 'Restaurant'
    On the right-hand column, the Via 62 offers 'Restaurant'
    Tap on the offered 'Restaurant'
    The search bar turns blue & displays 'Restaurant'
    Continue typing the name of the Restaurant... A list of the matching Restaurants will appear in the right-hand column....

    You can of course save your MyPlaces on the device, the MyPlaces WILL be displayed in the Map....

    VIA 62 User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014362719-VIA-62-User-Manual
    See Page 44 of the PDF file for a full list of built-in POI Categories....
    __________________

    You can also search for a Town (Area)...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search... Screen top right...

    Tap Whole Map
    o0se6o5bh2n1.jpg
    Select....
    843m281xlw2f.jpg
    Below is a Search around the Town of Ludlow for the Archie's Camping & Caravan POIs... The Icons are dynamic. The closer you zoom, more icons appear

    h9od09kbq9rb.jpg

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    HI
    @Lanky666
    In the past, Tomtom have stated there are over 7 Million built in POI locations....
    But they can only be displayed by a search....
    For a full list of Built-in POI Categories....
    See... https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/VIA_52_62/html/en-gb/index.htm#ListofPOItypeicons_1.htm
    To search for say a 'Restaurant'....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search --> Type 'Restaurant'
    On the right-hand column, the Via 62 offers 'Restaurant'
    Tap on the offered 'Restaurant'
    The search bar turns blue & displays 'Restaurant'
    Continue typing the name of the Restaurant... A list of the matching Restaurants will appear in the right-hand column....

    VIA 62 User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014362719-VIA-62-User-Manual
    See Page 44 of the PDF file for a full list of built-in POI Categories....
    __________________

    You can also search for a Town (Area)...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search... Screen top right...

    Tap Whole Map
    o0se6o5bh2n1.jpg
    Select....
    843m281xlw2f.jpg
    Below is a Search around the Town of Ludlow for the Archie's Camping & Caravan POIs... The Icons are dynamic. The closer you zoom, more icons appear

    h9od09kbq9rb.jpg

    Stay Safe... ATB YFM

    Thanks but as I say I like to have the icons displayed when driving around. Can't understand why they would remove, other day for example long journey partner needed loo on old sat nave had petrol stations/supermarkets/loos showing on map as driving so could quickly detour without having to stop and search sat nav. In the end partner ended up googling and we used Google maps to get to nearest tesco.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,666
    Superusers
    edited July 11
    Hi
    @Lanky666
    Are you using Quick search or Step by Step search ???
    Quick search is by far the best option....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> System --> Choose a Search Mode...
    Just typed 'Tesco' on my Tomtom...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search --> Type 'Tesco'
    In the Right-hand column, the device offerers the nearest 30 Tesco outlets in distance order from my location....
    Tap the blue keyboard (Screen bottom right) to hide the keyboard and allow scrolling of the list...

    Stay safe... ATB
  • Lanky666Lanky666 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Lanky666
    Are you using Quick search or Step by Step search ???
    Quick search is by far the best option....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> System --> Choose a Search Mode...
    Just typed 'Tesco' on my Tomtom...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search --> Type 'Tesco'
    In the Right-hand column, the device offerers the nearest 30 Tesco outlets in distance order from my location....
    Tap the blue keyboard (Screen bottom right) to hide the keyboard and allow scrolling of the list...

    Stay safe... ATB

    I'm using quick search and understand how to set a poi as a destination, I literally wanted to see all relevant poi on the map whilst travelling either with active route or non active route incase I wanted to quickly divert ie loo break. Seems tomtom removed that feature. Thanks for all your help though.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online in this Category0