Problems downloading maps. — TomTom Community

Problems downloading maps.

I know this is not TomTom support, but i am hoping someone here may be able to assist as I have had no luck with the e-mail or 'chat' system. I'm not sure if they didn't understand the issue or perhaps were just having a bad day.

I have been using TomTom Go on a number of iOS devices for quite some time, and have an active annual subscription. The subscription runs out at the beginning of next year. Until several days ago, I have had no problems, and the app has worked correctly, (apart from known issues).

I have 2 iPhones and an iPad pro linked to my iTunes account, and have the TomTom app installed on each device. One device is an old iPhone 7 that is used only for navigation in my vehicle, (iOS 14.6) and iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 14.6) and an iPad Pro also running (iOS 14.6). All have worked correctly until a couple of days ago.

The issue started yesterday when I attempted to apply the weekly maps update on the iPhone 7. Instead of applying the update, I got an error message and the update stopped mid way. I tried this several times and each time got the same error, "An unexpected error occurred with the map. Try the action again to resolve the problem". Thinking it may have been some sort of data corruption, I thought the easiest thing to do was to uninstall the app and reinstall it. The app reinstalled correctly, but I am not longer able to get past the map install screen. Each time I try to download the maps I get the same error above. It appears to download a percentage each time before it stops. Before someone asks, I have more than 100gb space on the iPhone. As you can't download a map, you never get past the screen to check any app settings etc.

The next mistake I made was trying to update the maps on my iPad. Exactly the same thing happened as on the iPhone 7. I now have the app on each device but I'm unable to add any maps or get past the setup screen. I've tried different countries so it's not restricted to my local maps, (Australia).

I have tried to update the maps on the remaining iPhone 12 Pro and ended up with the same error. I have not deleted the app of f this device as I suspect I will not be able to reinstall it. The app appears to be working correctly apart from this problem

I contacted app support via email and received no reply (must be busy), so I gave the chat system a try. Initially the support person attempted to problem solve the issue, though I'm not sure he/she really understood the problem. They appeared to be going through a set proforma. First i was told I had no active subscription and I was requested to send a screen shot of the Apple purchase order which I did.

When the support person realized that this was not a new account activation, and that I had 2 phones and an iPad on my account, they were not interested in providing any further assistance. I was told my problems were being caused by the fact I had one license and the app was installed on 3 devices in my account. I was told I had to have a separate iTunes account for each device and a separate subscription for each device. When I questioned this and said that it was incorrect, they ended the chat session. Telephone support use to be much easier.

Has the policy of having multiple devices on the one account changed in the last couple of days? I have no intention of creating an iTunes account for each device I own just so I can use TomTom.

The mentioned that they would pass this to the next support level but that it would take a substantial time for someone to look at it.

When I mentioned that i may have to cancel my subscription if the issues can not be fixed, I was told 'fine, cancel your subscription' Very interesting way of providing customer support.

Not sure were to go from here? Try support again later and hopefully get someone different. Wait a couple of days to see if the maps are updated and the problem fixed. (I guess there could be a more wide spread issue that the support person was not yet aware of). Not much point having a navigation app with no maps?

Not sure what else I could do from my end, as I haven't changed anything on any of the devices, apart from attempting to update maps. Same problem on 3 devices indicates to me something has changed or broken on TomTom's end, not my devices?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• MartynDrMartynDr Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Solved it!
    I’ve tried to update the 2 maps trough 4G and that fixed it👌🏻 Strange..

Answers

Hello,

I can’t install 2 map updates in go app IOS. Keep getting the same error.
    I need the maps for my holiday saturday😬
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @MartynDr

Try deleting the 2 maps the updates are for and then after turning IPhone Off/On reload them.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

I’ve tryed that for the italy map and now have no italy middle at all😏😄
    Accepted Answer
    Solved it!
    I’ve tried to update the 2 maps trough 4G and that fixed it👌🏻 Strange..
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @MartynDr

Glad you are sorted. Are you saying that your IPhone was connected to your Wifi and then it would not accept the Updates but when you disabled the Wifi connection it worked via your 4g connection? If so odd.

Doug
  • ThomasHaThomasHa Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @MartynDr

Glad you are sorted. Are you saying that your IPhone was connected to your Wifi and then it would not accept the Updates but when you disabled the Wifi connection it worked via your 4g connection? If so odd.

Doug

I had the same problem with North/East Spain and South Spain. When using WIFI I could not update/download the maps but no problem when using 4G. There were no problems updating Germany, France or the rest of my maps using WIFI

Thomas
  • loekfloekf Posts: 50 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Same here.. Downloading via WIFI fails, 5G works. Some countries still work via WIFI though.
  • amccammo_un22amccammo_un22 Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Update:

No longer working on my iPhone 12 either, after I was prompted to download new maps. I thought it may have been a fix for the problem above so I went ahead and tried to download them. Old maps removed, unable to add new maps. Once again I tried to delete the app and reinstall. Now I can't install the app on any of my devices, as I can't get past the inability to add a map. Hopefully they fix this soon. Maybe they might give me an extension to my subscription as i can install the app I paid for. Strange that nobody else seems to be having issues? Maybe a problem with my account, rather than the maps?

I've tried to reinstall the app on 3 different devices and I have the same issue with each device. Surely they cant all have the same problem?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    edited July 9
    Hi @amccammo_un22

Welcome to the Community & sorry to hear about your experience with our support. I think the main issue which you're facing with updating the map can happen unfortunately, a restart of the app helps in most of the cases.

I see from your contact history that changing the data connection from WiFi to cellular helped you to download a single map. I would advise you to quit the app, make a forced restart on your phone and select only one map to download. Let me know if it helps and in the meanwhile, I'll check this with the team.

Best, lampard
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @amccammo_un22

Welcome to the Community & sorry to hear about your experience with our support. I think the main issue which you're facing with updating the map can happen unfortunately, a restart of the app helps in most of the cases.

I see from your contact history that changing the data connection from WiFi to cellular helped you to download a single map. I would advise you to quit the app, make a forced restart on your phone and select only one map to download. Let me know if it helps and in the meanwhile, I'll check this with the team.

Best, lampard

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, however as per the update above, the maps got corrupted on my iPhone 12 Pro after I tried to apply the map update to the phone. It prompted me for a full map update, rather than the small incremental updates that are usually applied. I thought this may have been a fix for this issue, so I went ahead and tried to apply the update. The old maps were removed, but the new maps did not install. I was forced to delete the app from this phone and try to reinstall it. I don't have the app on any of my devices now and I can not reinstall it on any of them. When the setup gets to the page where you download a map, I get an error once the download starts. I can not download any maps now, not even the small states. I have tried on 3 different devices, 2 x iPhones and 1 x iPad Pro. Same error on each device. Never had issues like this before with any of the maps, on any of my devices.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    edited July 9
    Hi @amccammo_un22

Thanks for confirming that! I've already sent this to the team since few other users reported the same and managed to fix it via updating/downloading the maps via cellular data, see here

Best, lampard
    Hi @amccammo_un22

Thanks for confirming that! I've already sent this to the team since few other users reported the same and managed to fix it via updating/downloading the maps via cellular data, see here

Best, lampard

Thanks,

The problem I have now is that the app is not on my phone and I can't get past setup. I'll give it another try on cellular a bit later tonight, but it didn't work the first time I tried it. Hopefully the development team might find the issue. It must be intermittent or everyone would be reporting it.
    Hi @amccammo_un22

Best, lampard

As per your suggestion, I just tried to download the maps using a cellular connection. I first tried on my iPhone 7 that is mounted permanently in my vehicle; I only use this phone as a navigation device. It started to download one of the maps for Australia (NSW). After about 40 minutes I got the error and the download stopped. It reached 20% before it stopped. (VERY SLOW) I tried a couple more times but got the error each time as soon as the map started to download. When doing this, I was under a 4Gx tower and had a data connection speed of 95 Mbps.

I then tried to download the app and maps on my iPhone 12 Pro. When doing this, I was under a 4Gx tower and had a data connection speed of 425 Mbps. The maps downloaded very slowly. It took about 30 minutes but the download completed. A bit of a shame, as I need the app on the iPhone 7, not the iPhone 12 Pro.

Hopefully this information will help you track down the problem. In all the time I have been using this app, I have never seen the maps download this slow before, the download is usually very fast. Similarly, until a couple of days ago, I had never seen this error while updating/downloading maps.

Tried the iPhone 7 again on WIFI. The error comes up almost immediately a map download starts.
  • JayseeJaysee Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have the same problem. The map for the South of England has uninstalled itself and I get the unexpected error message when I try to reinstall it.
    I’ve tried on wifi and using data. I’ve tried uninstalling other maps to free up space (unnecessary- I’ve space galore, but hey, I’m clutching at straws). I’ve tried closing the app. I’ve tried rebooting my phone (between each action). I’ve tried updating the app.
    Currently I have an app that doesn’t do what it says on the tin and I’m thoroughly bored if faffing with it :(
    Just a quick update on this issue.

Originally I logged a job through TomTom support and last night I received a rather detailed follow up response from one of the support people. They confirmed that this was a network issue, and that it was only causing problems for some people. They suggested that i try another Wi-Fi network to see if that resolves the issue. Unfortunately this is not an option in Australia, as the NBN is a national network and it makes no difference who the service provider is that you sign up with, (apart from cost), it's the same network and same Wi-Fi. Don't know anyone on one of the other cellular networks, so cant try a 'hotspot' with them.

Still can't get anything to work on Wi-Fi. I did try using MacDonald's free Wi-Fi while getting a coffee, but they are also on the Australian NBN network. Same error.

Interestingly, I was told in the e-mail from TomTom support that they had only received one other report about this issue. I have replied back and referred them to this forum. Hopefully it may assist them in resolving this issue. They did give me a detailed response and a few ideas on how to work around the issue until the cause was identified and fixed.

I have managed to get the maps of Australia to download using the Telstra cellular network, (very slowly) by sitting directly under a 4Gx tower. I had a super fast connection - 425 Mbps at the time. Even with this connection, the map download was very very slow, but it did work. I still had to download each state individually, after a clean install of the app.

Once I received the error the first time during a download attempt, the error occurred every time I re-attempted the download. I had to delete the app, reinstall it and try the download again from the start. It took 2 or 3 attempts but I managed to install the app and maps back on my iPhone. I wont attempt to apply one of the weekly updates again until the issue is fixed.

While the issue wasn't resolved, TomTom support provided a detailed explanation about how problems are prioritized and worked on. They also provided a few ideas on workarounds. At least TomTom takes notice and responds to problems that are reported to them. I think there may had been some misunderstanding / communication breakdown in the initial response I received from the support area. Back on track now. :)

• NjchickNjchick Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I’ve been having the same problem with TomTom GO on my iPhone XS Max running iOS 14.6. I managed to fix the problem by disabling NextDNS, I’m guess that TomTom is now doing some tracking that is being blocked by NextDNS.
  • klaxklax Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Same problem here with "España Noreste" (Spain North-east) which refused to download, even though Spain North-west and Spain South did work.

I uninstalled the app, reinstalled it and all 3 maps were downloaded succesfully