I have turned on ‘avoid toll roads’ How can I instruct it to avoid congestion charges? — TomTom Community

I have turned on ‘avoid toll roads’ How can I instruct it to avoid congestion charges?

DeePeeDeePee Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
The reason we bought this device is because it advertised being able to warn of and reroute to avoid congestion charges. On our first planned rout to Crystal Palace, it wants to take us right through the centre of London! Avoid toll roads is activated, my truck dimensions have been inputted. I do not trust it is capable of doing what it advertises. How can we avoid congestion charge routes?

Comments

• rider1riderrider1rider Posts: 939 [Revered Pioneer]
    no settings to avoid congestion charge
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,959
    Superuser
    edited July 8
    @DeePee

I tried a truck route on the route planner
    With avoid nothing I get this ywqkoh2v61y8.png note it mentions "includes Toll roads, Toll vignettes"
    but setting avoid toll roads I get this12p85g9i68ng.png
    which uses Tower bridge instead of Southwark bridge

What was the start/end points that sent you through the congestion charge area?

Just to be clear here is a map of the zone 19g831hd2fzi.png
  • DeePeeDeePee Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you Niall for your response, however after a week of the machine sending a truck along routes we KNOW are not suitable, we have lost all faith in it; dare not trust it and it is clearly, not fit for our purposes. We have currently rejected the Tomtom Go Expert and are caught up in a Groundhog Day loop of frustration in trying to contact Tomtom to arrange return and full refund. Very, very disappointing experience all round.
    sgeblpav9lpl.png
    achwm7emvxnu.png

Niall, just for your own curiosity and once more, to quadruple check on my part, you can see the two results (one using no 'avoidances').

Tomtom Go Expert is NO expert!
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,959
    Superuser
    @DeePee

What are the truck dimensions that you used?
    The routes that you illustrated do not go through the congestion zone but skirt around it!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,267
    Superuser
    Hi @DeePee

My Go Discover which is similar to the Expert uses the A202 through London which means it skirts the London Congestion Charge. However you are going through the Low Emissions Zone (LEZ) to Crystal Palace as that is within it. and so if you vehicle is liable then a charge will apply.
    Niall wrote: »
    @DeePee

What are the truck dimensions that you used?
    The routes that you illustrated do not go through the congestion zone but skirt around it!

Hi Niall, the main route it suggests is going straight through the middle of the City. For this to be the main route simply endorses our lack of faith in the gadget.

Thank you for attempting to assist, but our poor experience with the main TomTom's website, trying at first unsuccessfully to contact the company, and lack of real-time support coupled with our now lack of faith in the Go Expert means we felt forced to contact the CEO. We are pleased to now report that everything has been returned within the 14-day no quibble guarantee, for a full refund.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @DeePee

My Go Discover which is similar to the Expert uses the A202 through London which means it skirts the London Congestion Charge. However you are going through the Low Emissions Zone (LEZ) to Crystal Palace as that is within it. and so if you vehicle is liable then a charge will apply.

Thank you for responding. Yes, we realised that Crystal Palace is within the LEZ, but we naively thought the TomTom Go Expert would take us around the M25 to the 'best shortest, appropriate' route avoiding as far as possible traveling via 'no go' areas: not to suggest going straight through the City as it's main preference. It was an expensive bit of kit and to have all the hassle we did, immediately upon taking ownership, left us having no faith in the gadget and no faith in easily available, real-time support. It's now been returned for a full refund. We'll go back to using our hard copy maps, coupled with brain power and the many free sat navs available.