go 620 replaed by tomtom-they claim no usa repairs, basically telling me its trash — TomTom Community

go 620 replaed by tomtom-they claim no usa repairs, basically telling me its trash

Hi...I got a replacement from TOMTOM which has gone dead as of yesterday (red cross/computer icon).. The overseas chat is less than helpful..is there no way to reinstall this entire gps, not just restore? It keeps cycling with the restore software, but is endlessly showing the red x!! No help from TOMTOM..I have written them, but apparently 110 Euros repair if I was dumb enough to send it to UK means I will never buy this brand/product again, and advise all of you to similarly avoid them/it!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,666
    Superusers
    edited July 7
    Hi
    @jjohart
    Welcome to the site....
    If your TomTom Go 620 Wi-Fi has a black screen with the TomTom pictured on it and a cable to a computer monitor with a red cross, then It sounds like Recovery Mode has Automatically Started on your device
    MyDrive Connect >> MUST << be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as >> CONNECTED << on MyDrive Connect...
    The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross
    If Recovery mode has Auto Started, it will bypass the Text screen and the 3 presses of the power button... And will already be at a stage of Recovery somewhere between the 'Spinning-disk' image shown in bullet point (5) and the bullet point (7) image showing the recovery progress count up to 100%

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out....
    Any attempts at a Restart the device... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out

End

You may need to contact Tomtom Support....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

1st... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jjohartjjohart Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Thanks for the tips, but every step you've mentioned is correctly followed. It always says on my computer that its installing, and then restarts, but I get the 'x' again! I made sure of the correct version of installer my drive, but anamolies/weirdness continues
    it calls a Trucker 620 a "deluxe", which I guess is euro-speak.
    I am trying multiple usb cables, all of whih show the device is recognized, however I had to do a self-assigned IP, as it wouldn't accept DCHP lease renewal for wifi (which doesn't matter when its plugged in by cable, at least when the unit is 'x' masked from using any signal.
    Can you qualify the cable requirements? I can see the Tom Tom, after the so called repeatiing restore is "done", showing a 1/16 white bar which is supposed to move right on start up...but its frozen there, and then the 'x' comes up.
    The only other thing I can't seem to do is press power 3x and get a reset that way. I don't think that will make any difference!

Is therre anyway to WIPE THIS CLEAR and reinstall all? Personally, I think it was a high heat in car breakdown due to stress, plus perhaps the usb in car might have wiggled (it used to go back to main screen w.o m y touch (i.e crashing).

I am aghast TomTom is not allowing repair even by UK service, or a discount towards a new unit-this was replaced last AUG by TomTom. Obviously these are money loser devices for them-no phone support (sure the covid excuse now...) I am shopping Garmin as we've had 2 of them which lasted a decade or more!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,254
    Superuser
    Hi @jjohart

Let us see what @VikramK or @lampard have to say after they have reviewed your units logs on the TT servers.

You mentioned the USB socket in your car, well you should not use that for powering the device particularly as the output of the socket will be insufficient too Run and Maintain the battery in the device. The output is about 0.5amps and the supplied Cig Charger is circa 1.2A plus. It is possible that use of the USB socket can affect the software. To may knowledge here is no TT repair facility in the UK and any items in Europe that need to be returned for repair have to be sent to Romania where the repair shop is. I have no idea where USA units should be returned for repair.

Doug
  • jjohartjjohart Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    The website quotes repairs for models that are still supported-says EUROS, but perhaps it is elsewhere in Eur. In any event, w.o some support on cost to/from, this would be laughably uneconomical, considering its toast here right now in the states, lol!