just updated voices on my start 20 device bombs out now comes up with no maps — TomTom Community

just updated voices on my start 20 device bombs out now comes up with no maps

daved111daved111 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
start 20 failed to update voices, now says no maps found, had two map installed , now it wants to update navcor4 again whenI try it says something has gone wrong, I have rebooted to drum roll and to the text done three clicks etc.

Comments

• daved111daved111 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
    start 20 failed to update voices, now says no maps found, had two map installed , now it wants to update navcor4 again when I try it says something has gone wrong, I have rebooted to drum roll and to the text done three clicks etc.
    tried to reinstall maps as the tutorials say, it starts to install then get message something went wrong
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,146 Moderator
    Hi @daved111
    Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram
    Done everything by the book followed tutorials, disconnected virus/firewall no matter what I do I cannot resolve no maps found, I updated voices and it uninstalled the latest maps I had on the device giving me 6573mb of free space. the maps download to the computer I know this as I have updated maps etc on my other device so no down load problems or virus/firewall problems, Now with this no maps found device a start 20 the maps download but WONT install to the device nor will navcore4 etc so as a work around I installed a formatted SD card guess what it downloaded and installed maps to SD card , sill can get anything to install to the internal memory. So I am assuming something is stopping/blocking this at your end. sorry for ranting but this is not the first time having A unit fail on INSTALL not downloading.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    Hi @daved111

What size is the map you have loaded on the SD card. Just asking in case the reason it has now loaded the map is because it is too big for the remaining memory on the internal memory. The Full Europe map is now circa 8.6GB

Doug
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 1,510 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi Doug
    No issues with memory on any of the devices this one had about 3452mb of free space after I had download the latest maps after trying to install the voice quality update it wiped out my maps at the moment on the internal memory there is 6573mb free space on the SD card 7155mb free space, the map I am trying to install is 387mb.

Dave
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    Hi @daved111

Okay. This is a forum for users only however possibly @VikramK who has access to the TT servers and so maybe able to review the logs for your device. Can you indicate the last 3 digits of the device concerned (not the whole serial number please) and then he may be able to suggest a remedy. Look back here on Monday to see if he has some advice for you.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    VikramK had a look into this and said they thought it was firewall/virus program stopping it or download interruption I don't believe this, as no problem downloading to my other devices the problem is this one wont install the selected map to the internal drive as the devices do. last three 649

Thanks Dave
    Hi Willy875, Yes fingers sore the amount of times I have tried the tutorials.

Thanks Dave
    tried again followed the tutorial to the tee no maps found downloaded to computer won't update to device, after switching device off and back on again all I get now is a satnav icon with two arrows going in a circular movement, so it looks like it's gone into melt down, one way to get rid of lifetime map update units.

No more tomtoms for me what's the point if updating is such a problem.

Dave
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,621
    Superusers
    edited July 10
    Hi
    @daved111

It sounds like Recovery Mode has Automatically Started
    on your device ???

MyDrive Connect >> MUST << be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as >> CONNECTED << on MyDrive Connect...

When the device is in Recovery Mode... The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    I think the device is somewhere between bullet-point (5) & (8)
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established....
    Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out
    Any attempts at a Restart... The device, will continue to display a Splash screen with an image of a PC and a Red Cross or a Screen displaying a spinning disc, until Recovery mode can establish a connection to MyDrive Connect or the Server eventually times-out....

End

You may need to contact Tomtom Support....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)

1st... A couple of Tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

2nd... Tomtom FAQ … How to Contact Tomtom Support....
    Here… https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi YFM very informative, hit rock bottom I think, I press button hold for 20sec I get the drum roll device lights up with an icon of a satnav screen with two arrows in the centre rotating in a circle then the screen goes black, so I switch it back on do the drum roll this time I hold button down, no difference icon appears after a while black screen, also not connecting in my drive connect. so no chance of a recovery.

Thanks Dave