Tom Tom scam website — TomTom Community

Tom Tom scam website

paulrwpaulrw Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
My drive was playing up on my computer, so deleted but was unsure how to re load. Clicked on Tom Tom site and was immediately flagged up with a web assistant, I put in my question and was asked for my e mail address and tel nos which I gave and asked to wait 5 mins for a telephone call, which when received I wa stoo click yes in the box. 5 mins passed and call came from Jason, who was Indian I believe and asked that I connect telephone and sit in front of screen so that he could synch is server with mine, however my phone is not near a computer so I needed an extension cable, wherby he said he would ring back, he did on tel 02039505667, I did not have cable so he is going to call me tomorrow, or I have to call him on 03301133588 ext 5667. How did Tom Tom allow this webpage to keep running, I have heard that there are many false pages, I have McAfee protection but no warning. Can you advise what to donext he is calling 6/7/2021

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    Hi @paulrw

You have not connected to a genuine TT website. TT have not had a phone line Customer Support service running since the start of the current crisis. Also TT do not operate by taking over Customers PC’s.

What exactly has been happening re My Drive Connect which I assume was the software you were referring too. Also it appears from your Profile that you have a GO Premium so as that can update and download maps via WIFI without the need for a PC why did you need MDC.

Doug
  • paulrwpaulrw Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks Doug just a novice, with the constant updates boxes on the computer informing me that I have to update and TomTom own site declaring problems with My Drive sort of confused. Also are TomTom taking these sites seriously as there site directs to discussion site, have they no real backroom office to sort things out? so essentially I don’t require My Drive for the unit to work? Thanks Doug
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,214
    Superuser
    edited July 6
    Hi @paulrw

If you have a GO Premium then if you have reasonable Wifi the device can be connected to it and Op system, Map updating and adding new items should that be necessary can be done without the need for a PC.

The reason to have My Drive Connect software on a PC is to enable you to update etc if you have no Wifi available, which can be for be health reasons , you have poor Wifi or in the unlikely event that you need to Recover your device, Should you connect your GO Premium to a PC with My Drive Connect software running on it you then have no Menu options in the software to manage the updating etc in MDC as you have to use the menu options on the GO Premium to manage the updating etc. When you connect your TT unit to a PC with MDC on it all you are doing is using the PC's connection to the internet instead of the TT units ability to connect via Wifi.

Doug