Tomtom Start 52 when I plug into car it says battery flat going into sleep mode. When I plug into US — TomTom Community

Tomtom Start 52 when I plug into car it says battery flat going into sleep mode. When I plug into US

When I plug into car usb port it says battery flat going into sleep mode & switches off. When I plug into usb port in house it charges & works ok. I have tried 1 amp & 2.5 amp connectors in car. Any help apprecviated

Answers

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,951
    Superuser
    @alangidley
    You need to use the original cigarette lighter charger with that device as it is very hungry on power ( > 2.1 Amps) usual car USB ports only supply 500mAmps :(
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,621
    Superusers
    Hi
    @alangidley
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1709218/#Comment_1709218

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • alangidleyalangidley Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Many thanks for info. However, the satnav was plugged into a cigarette lighter socket with a 2.5 amp socket adaptor and the original Tomtom connecting lead. As the cigarette lighter socket is connected direct to the battery, with a 15 amp fuse, on my classic car, which has a new 95 amp per hour battery, there is no problem with the power supply. It simply won't charge and goes into sleep mode. It charges up ok using an indoor USB port. Any further ideas?
    Superuser
    edited July 5
    @alangidley

Just to narrow down the cause
    1. Have you used the same cable to connect the device to the cigarette lighter chargeras used with the indoor USB port?
    2. Have used the same cable and cigarette lighter charger in another vehicle?
    If 1. doesn't work points to a faulty cable
    If 1. works OK then if 2. fails it points to a faulty charger, but if it works then it is the socket in the classic that is not making contact properly. Does anything else work in that socket?
    Many thanks for your help.Yes I have always used the same connection cable, that came with the satnav.
    Yes I tried in in my modern Ford car and it still doesn't work.
    I put a small charge in the satnav by connecting it to the USB port in the house, It shows the charging symbol. However, when plugged into either the Ford or the classic car cigarette lighter sockets it only shows the small charge and NOT the charging symbol.
    And I used my electric tyre pump in the classic car cigarette lighter socket & it worked ok.
    The cable that came with the satnav is a genuine Tomtom one but I am wondering if there is some resistance in it. The USB port in the house (240 volts) has enough power to overcome the resistance but in the cars the 12 volts cannot overcome the resistance?
    If you think this is the case what sort of cable do I need? I have a few cables that will fit which I use to connect my digital cameras to my pc. Are they likely to work? If not can you give me an idea of what new cable I should buy which will hopefully cure this annoying problem. Many thank.
    Re my earlier post . When I connect the satnav to my pc using the same cable for updates it works ok.
    Superuser
    @alangidley

Sound like there is a problem with the car charger
    You might need to get a replacement
    See, get a TomTom one as pointed out here https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024
    Thank you for your reply. However, I have two cigarette plugs/ chargers. One is a genuine Tomtom output 5v , doesn't say amps and the other is a "RING" output 5v 2.5 amps, both made in China. Neither work in either of my cars. I'll but another one if you are certain this is the problem. Your help is much appreciated.
    Superuser
    @alangidley

Think you might need to purchase a USB meter (about £8) from Amazon to see what is going on

n8x517yz16d1.png
    I thought I would buy anew charger & USB cable as per your link as surely that would sort it but on going to your link it was "no longer available". I'll try and find a genuine Tomtom one elsewhere but there are an lot of cheap rubbish ones one line that are no good.
    regards
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 15,365
    Superusers
    I would first try a smartphone charging cable and car adapter before buying another cable. Then the cable can be identified as the cause or whether it is perhaps the USB contact on the device itself
    As a counter test, you could also plug the smartphone into the TomTom charging cable to see if it charges.
    I do not have a smart phone.