GO Premium 65000 MB download everyday

tonton2021
tonton2021 Registered Users Posts: 32
Outstanding Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
First Problem
i think is a problem with My Drive+GO Premium because when you have GO Premium you have always 51 updates + Speedcams and all the world maps are downloaded everyday, 65GB everyday downloaded or when you delete HOME3 folder, this is stress for the servers and waste of space, HOME3 folder

what can i change to see only updates for Europe+Mapshare+Speedcams and not always 52 updates ?

Second problem:
i have only Europe map installed but i receive speedcam updates for uruguay and south africa and few other countries through WIFI

restarted 100 times, updated last version

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,833
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    The GO Premium has the option to install World Maps....
    Just because the World Maps etc... are displayed in MyDrive Connect doesn't mean they are downloaded every day, and you certainly don't normally have a 65 GB download every day that would make no sense whatsoever :o
    Granted, The cache does not auto delete... The MDC Cache is deleted manually and at around 9GB for the Full Europe Map download, the size of the cache will soon mount up if you don't regularly maintain/clear the cache....

With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the Downloads Tab
    Empty download folder
    Save settings.... Simples :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited July 2021
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @tonton2021

With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the Downloads Tab
    Empty download folder
    Save settings.... Simples :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

exactly that i made, 2 days and everyday i had evening 60-70GB in HOME3 folder

you can simulate for your Premium X i think it make the same

now i have only 30GB on C: and MyDrive say "There is not enough space on the drive"

i have also a Go 6000 and i see updates only for my active map Europe, i dont understand why for Premium is something different.

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    Unless you are confusing 65 MB for 65 GB or you are pointlessly installing all the Word maps every day ??? What you're saying does not seem possible ???

ATB YFM
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited July 2021
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @VikramK

The "speed camera" issue may pre date yesterdays update as I noticed last week I had some 80gb of data in my HOME3 (download) folder which I deleted without investigating in detail, but over the last day and a half my PC has amassed a further 67gb of data in the HOME3 folder.

All I have been doing is to try and update my speed cameras. (I did uninstall all the Non UK speed cameras which was hard going as I had to delete each country one by one as there does not appear to an option to select all!)

As the speed camera updates are only typically 8mb it is puzzling why such extra ordinary large amounts of data are being transmitted by the Tomtom Servers.

do you see this i'm not alone but you want to say no, no, just no, no, no.

and i know what i said 65GB

next time try not to say
    doesn't mean they are downloaded every day, and you certainly don't have a 65 GB download every day that would make no sense whatsoever :o
    because maybe you are wrong...

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    I think I may know what's going on, normally MyDrive Connect doesn't auto download 65 GB of Data every day by default.
    MyDrive Connect only downloads the data for what ever downloads we have selected.
    My Go Premium today.... I cleared the Home3 cache....
    Then connected my up-to-Date GO Premium... the MyDrive cache only shows 1 KB .XML file....

Other than the .XML file, the cache is empty
    urcuzihjn38b.jpg
    I think because of the problems with the Speed Cam, updates and maybe other updates ??? Also, because of multiple attempts to install and re-install the updates, then some (individual) users may have built-up a massive download queue on the servers....
    When the MyDrive connect cache is cleared, the server re-sends the huge log jam of files to the Home3 cache ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    and how many updates you see when you connect your GO? i see always 52 that i think is a bug

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    tonton2021 wrote: »
    (Snip) How many updates you see when you connect your GO?
    I always see 52 that I think is a bug
    None... But my Speed Cam updates installed OK....

MyDrive Connect....
    tu8pxxel7mgn.jpg
    Go Premium....
    wrhu9o6l05n5.jpg
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check your Tomtom download status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    (Snip) How many updates you see when you connect your GO?
    I always see 52 that I think is a bug
    Do you mean the 52 Maps of the World Maps displayed in MyDrive Connect for the GO Premium ???
    On my GO Premium I have 4 Maps from the World Map series installed, we only need to install the maps we use on a regular basis....

j7kcj1j8x36z.jpg
    I have also a Go 6000 and I see updates only for my active map Europe, I don't understand why for Premium is something different.
    Re... The GO 6000... The GO6000 was sold in the UK & Europe with only one Map, the full Europe Map....
    This is why when you update the GO 6000 you are not seeing the 52 World Map series displayed on MyDrive Connect....

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited July 2021
    o and to compare why i say it's a bug this is how is by me

d6t8tivznzzy.jpg

jnm4y75xxh0r.jpg

why they are different ???you have GO Premium i have GO Premium
    ?

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    Wow, I have no Idea how that can happen... I can't see how it's can possible to initially group select all 52 Maps ??? (I can see from the image in your post you can group select all 52 when updating) :o But the initial Map selection is a manual Map by Map update selection ??? Do you have a 32 GB Micro SDHC Memory Card installed ??? Have you ever in the past selected & installed all 52 of the World Maps ???

Let's see what @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators say on Monday... They have access to the Tomtom Backend Servers to see what's happened....

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited July 2021
    yea i can group all the maps 65GB (and they are 65GB not 65MB :) )

i don't have a SD card, i don't need one

i never installed any other regions maps, i drive in Europe i need only the country map where i am now and Europe for trips

device is new, one week or so

as4nf380fngc.jpg

maybe now you understand that i'm right and this is a bug :astonished:

and how i said i receive speedcam updates for uruguay and south africa and 8-9 other far away countries through WIFI also a bug
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @tonton2021
    I appreciate you have a problem with the GO Premium, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, I'm just trying to dig down though the symptoms to find a solution to the problem....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    few examples with what you say:
    and you certainly don't have a 65 GB download every day that would make no sense whatsoever :o
    Unless you are confusing 65 MB for 65 GB or you are pointlessly installing all the Word maps every day ??? What you're saying does not seem possible ???
    I can't see how it's can possible to initially group select all 52 Maps ???

sorry but that is not dig down though the symptoms to find a solution to the problem....

that is only no, not, don't :):)B)

• Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 412
    Supreme Pioneer
    I currently own two Go Camper’s which are both set up on a similar basis with 2 maps installed and when connected to MyDrive Connect one says it has one update, the other says 55 updates totalling 83.4GB………………….?

ko5xo2b3nkma.jpg

jz9ozu1d0vhx.jpg

This seems more than a causal coincidence as I recently deleted over 80 GB of data from my Home3 folder. But it is also strange why 2 Go Camper devices are treated differently by TomTom.

I have not downloaded any maps since mid-May when V10.70 was released and recall that one device took 15 minutes 58 seconds to update the maps whereas the second device which I started the download a few hours later took ~ 5 hours such is the vagaries of the TomTom download update and data servers.

I have only initiated the speed camera and community map updates weekly which typically are less than ~8mb in size.

I connected the second Go Camper on Saturday (3/7) to MDC and attempted to update the speed cameras and later noticed that a further ~15GB of data had been added to my HOME3 folder.

Looking at the HOME3 folder I saw various large files including ‘content’ named files which I attempted to open using various programs but was unsuccessful as I do not know what file format TomTom uses apart from Notepad which showed a lot of “padding”. I did find some ASCII data which I have highlighted in the bottom section of the next screenshot at the bottom section – This possibly indicated the file named content149 was the Map data file for Canada - Alaska.

Then looking at Content147 this was showing details of the Egypt map data file and it was a similar case for the other files …………. File sizes downloaded corresponded to the map sizes indicated on MyDrive Connect.

xezan8pfg9fz.jpg

6jg2wl5a682c.jpg

I then looked at the xml File – cache-status and saw this was itemising the downloads by device (I have edited my 2 device serial numbers and replaced the central section by CamperA & B but left the last 3 digits unaltered) and this was further detailed by country for both Speed Cameras and Maps…………

i39pjnfp3tnl.jpg

As users, we do not know TomToms intentions and have no control over what is downloaded from the TomTom Servers apart from initiating an update request, but if this includes TomTom downloading additional data to selected devices and causing some devices not to function correctly, it is very difficult to acknowledge this as a “feature”, product development or similar, and given the large number of users affected by the recent speed camera updates or MyDrive Connect issue the only conclusion is that a “bug” crept in the update process or that the software changes have not been fully validated and tested before release to TomTom users???

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,815
    Hi @tonton2021 @Lost_Soul
    I am unable to reproduce this on my side, but I won't deny that it's happening.
    Assuming there were no updates initiated on the device before connecting it to MyDrive Connect.

I would recommend reporting this to our customer service team for further investigation along with the serial numbers, so they can get to the bottom of the problem.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    i think @VikramK you can compare the 2 devices settings on the server side and you find the bug.

i made a ticket but no answer till now.

i think Tomtom should appreciate the customers because will be simpler a mobile device to use with Google Maps and you have everything that u want.

like i wrote .... we are fans and we want to make the product better but someone should listen.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @VikramK

Thank you for checking and yes it certainly is happening for me, however it does seem to be on the random side given that @tonton2021 has the same perceived issue with his Go Premium X and yet @YamFazMan did not on his Go Premium......................... ;)

And I have 2 Go Campers with similar setups, with one having the odd issue. :/

I did try reporting this to the customer service team last night, but was unable to do as I assume that once office hours are closed the ability to contact them by email/chat is also withdrawn....................

I also tried to log into my Tomtom account to send a "Request" but the Tomtom Account Login page was Not Found! :'(

I assume this is the same reason as closing down the email/chat to the CST overnight.

I did try again this morning and whilst I could intermittently log into my Tomtom account and see all my devices and orders / repairs the "Request" section was still "Not found" .

I hope that as we move out of the pandemic here in the UK that a more normal service will be resumed and it will be easier to make contact with the CST.
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    i contacted today the chat i and they said i should try tomorrow to update they will make something

i will do this tomorrow and you can try too
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @tonton2021

I also contacted the customer services team on Tuesday afternoon (no reply expected yet) and pointed them to this discussion thread so hopefully they will combine our two queries.................

I will wait to see what changes they will make later today. B)
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited July 2021
    and surprise ..... nothing changed today

yesterday support said tomorrow will be ok

i pointed also to this thread and what they do ? they marked ticket SOLVED i will open now again

like i wrote .... we are fans and we want to make the product better but someone should listen
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @tonton2021

My Go Camper No 2 still has 55 updates showing when connected to MDC, so no change from my perspective.

I had an acknowledgment from the CST Wednesday morning and hopefully a response will be forthcoming tomorrow.
  • tonton2021
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited July 2021
    i still have 52 updates .....
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @tonton2021

I can beat that; I had 56 updates showing on one of my Go Campers earlier today................. B)

I had an acknowledgement from the CST and that the files being downloaded into my HOME3 folder are map data files as I suspected, but no answer why at present - hopefully will get an answer in the next few days.
  • Hejca
    Hejca Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    I have the same issue with the new Premium X. Device updated via wifi and it shows "device is up to date". There is an Europe map installed inside device. When I connect the device to MyDrive Connect I have more tha 50 updates for maps which are NOT installed.

@tonton2021
    You can try to change Mydrive Connect settings. There is a possibility to allow Mydrive connect to automatically download updates to your PC (It is recommended choice and I think the default choice). It doesn't solve the number of updates but maybe reduce the 65 GB downloads every day.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 2021
    Hi
    @tonton2021 @Lost_Soul @Hejca
    Has anyone tried installing a 32 GB Micro SDHC Card....
    Selecting & Installing one of the larger Maps, or a group of Maps from the 65 GB of spurious Maps downloads that's offered....
    Then on the device, deleting the Map/Maps that you have just installed....
    Clear the Home3 Cache
    Then....
    (1)... Check to see if MyDrive downloads are back up to the full 65 GB of Maps again....
    (2)... Or If MyDrive download is reduced by the size installed & deleted Map/s....
    If the answer is bullet-point (2) at least you have a way forward ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM