550 Rider route options — TomTom Community

550 Rider route options

MrTTTTMrTTTT Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
I have an old rider that when I choose a destination ,I had it set to always ask route option.
My new 550 rider,as the option in settings, to choose the route options,but not when I input a destination.
Do I have to manually change it in the settings everytime?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,614
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MrTTTT
    Welcome to the site....
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 98% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all the questions and button pushing at the start... Then the device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (98% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route... I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 134 [Supreme Navigator]
    Guys,

Yet another example of them making it better. I still don't understand why the new version appears to give me the option to choose but I'm NEVER asked.

Suggesting that this new system saves me time is totally spurious. I want the option to choose EVERY TIME.

Really miss my old Rider 2. I loved that unit. Everything worked like I expected it to work and no Rat-Run routing solutions.
    Superusers
    edited July 3
    Hi
    @TigerRider
    TigerRider wrote: »
    (Snip) Yet another example of them making it better. I still don't understand why the new version appears to give me the option to choose, but I'm NEVER asked (Snip)
    It's not the same option as the previous models...
    You can't set the device to ask you for your "Route type" every time you plan a route

If you check in the Route planning Menu...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route planning

The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route, and you are driving the Route
    On the Live Tomtom Devices, 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = Don't ask me... Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Always ask me... Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = Don't ask me at all... Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    2xefqogbgcgx.jpg
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 98% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route....

On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After the Planning and Calculation of the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

Note... This change only applies to the current route
    For the next route, the device will default back to the 'Route Type' you have chosen in the Settings menus, i.e... For me, the 'Fastest route'
    (Snip) Suggesting that this new system saves me time is totally spurious. I want the option to choose EVERY TIME (Snip)
    Compared to my Via 120 Live & Go 825... The latest devices do save time, the vast majority of the time I want the 'Fastest route' option, job done....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 134 [Supreme Navigator]
    Yep, another fabulous answer from @YamFazMan but that's not my issue.

I'm not a dispatch or delivery rider, too old. I ride for therapy and pleasure so the type of route I want changes every time. The current Rider550 system is far too complicated. What is the point of asking on!y if there is faster route available (section 1 above) ? Is this not sort-of defeated by the next section's choice.

From me and out across the UK Cotswolds and into Wiltshire its a lot of narrow lanes all but a few with the default maximum UK speed limit and with very few with with a useable upper limit above 40 and only then for a few hundred yards. I get very similar routes whether I select fastest or shortest but I'll have to wait for years before the achievable speeds appear in the mapping data. Knowing the area I have to go "Off-SatNav" to get places in the higher gears. My problem is when I don't know where I am I'm at the mercy of the routing algorithm and rarely get above fifth gear, I have six and get to arrive at my destination a bit shredded. Some of these "Fastest" routes would be a nightmare after dark.

Years back a mate showed me his Garmin. He could set a priority for each road type from motorway, main road down through crappy little roads etc. My needs for end of a long day when I need an easy route home or at night are very different from day routes and I want to be able to choose EVERY time. I certainly don't want to dig down through a messy menu system to declare a preference I'm unlikely to get or even notice.
    Superusers
    edited July 3
    H
    @TigerRider
    (Snip) I'm not a dispatch or delivery rider, too old. I ride for therapy and pleasure, so the type of route I want changes every time. The current Rider550 system is far too complicated. What is the point of asking on!y if there is a faster route available (section 1 above) ? Is this not sort-of defeated by the next section's choice (Snip)
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 98% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route....
    (Snip) My needs for end of a long day when I need an easy route home or at night are very different from day routes, and I want to be able to choose EVERY time. I certainly don't want to dig down through a messy menu system to declare a preference I'm unlikely to get or even notice.
    It's easy to change the 'Route Type' of the journey.....
    After the Planning and Calculation of the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

Note... This change only applies to the current route
    For the next route, the device will default back to the 'Route Type' you have chosen in the Settings menus, i.e... For me, the 'Fastest route'

PS... I've edited my previous post....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • alexm35alexm35 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I Tend to agree with this post. I had several problems, as i am always trying to do as tigerRider do. When i am in unknow places, thats when we need the device, i am now always afriad of what the planned course will be. Usually i try to preMake all my journeys on Mydrive, but the most part of the times, when u load it on 550 the road come up diferent from mydrive webApp. When i am at middle of the day, i always need to decide what i need to do. The truth is that the planing is a bad planning, and we need to go always to a lots of choices.
    last year in Pirinees, i was making the road by curves and mountain selection....the 550 makes me go out of the road, to make more 2 curves and return 300 metters ahead to the main road....is just not ok. I will change to a Zumo, i am done with so many problems in a moto GPS.