New TomTom 6200 equivalent ? — TomTom Community

New TomTom 6200 equivalent ?

Hello
I currently have a 6200 which I use in my van and which I'm very happy with. I'm now looking for a new sat nav unit to use in my car, I only require a 5" screen and have been pointed in the direction of the Go Discover 5 as the 6200's present day equal.
The discover 5 appears to come with one years camera and traffic which then becomes a cost option. I can't ever remember paying for the same on my 6200?
So many models to choose from now can anybody help me choose?. Must haves are traffic, cameras and the ability to update via wifi and import .GPX files.
Confused, any help would be great!

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,677
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @jonskcollob
    The GO 5200 is nearest 5" equivalent in specification to your GO 6200...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,267
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jonskcollob

The nearest equivalents at the moment are the GO5200 or the 5" Premium model. Both models offer you the same as your GO6200 with inbuilt mobile sim. which works off the 2G system which has been phased out in some countries. Unless you want the extra IFTTT functions offered by the Premium model then the GO5200 is the nearest model.

The latest models ie the GO Discovery which do not have an inbuilt sim so you will have to use in conjunction with your mobile phone. The Go Discovery will sync routes and My Places from My Drive but currently it does not accept 3rd Party POI files which the GO5200 does and the Camera data is only free for a year. Also they are offering Fuel price data for garages and live Parking data however this will also be charged for after the free year. .You could try holding on for a while to see if the absence of POI files being loaded is resolve and also to see if TT offer a unit with an inbuilt sim however this will no doubt be more expensive to cover the inclusion of the inbuilt facility.

In the event that eventually the GO 5200 or GO Premium models inbuilt sims no longer are able to link to the TT servers then you can continue to use them by linking via your phone. as on the GO Discovery.

Doug

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,677
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @jonskcollob
    The GO 5200 is nearest 5" equivalent in specification to your GO 6200...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • jonskcollobjonskcollob Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you for your reply. So TomTom no longer offer an up to date unit with lifetime maps traffic and cameras then? The 5200 isn't available via the TomTom website only via Amazon so I assume this is old stock?
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jonskcollob

The nearest equivalents at the moment are the GO5200 or the 5" Premium model. Both models offer you the same as your GO6200 with inbuilt mobile sim. which works off the 2G system which has been phased out in some countries. Unless you want the extra IFTTT functions offered by the Premium model then the GO5200 is the nearest model.

The latest models ie the GO Discovery which do not have an inbuilt sim so you will have to use in conjunction with your mobile phone. The Go Discovery will sync routes and My Places from My Drive but currently it does not accept 3rd Party POI files which the GO5200 does and the Camera data is only free for a year. Also they are offering Fuel price data for garages and live Parking data however this will also be charged for after the free year. .You could try holding on for a while to see if the absence of POI files being loaded is resolve and also to see if TT offer a unit with an inbuilt sim however this will no doubt be more expensive to cover the inclusion of the inbuilt facility.

In the event that eventually the GO 5200 or GO Premium models inbuilt sims no longer are able to link to the TT servers then you can continue to use them by linking via your phone. as on the GO Discovery.

Doug
  • jonskcollobjonskcollob Posts: 8 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited June 28
    Thank you for your comprehensive reply Doug, I have been bamboozled by the current TT line up, TT customer services recommended the Go discover 5 as a replacement but having read your post I think that would have been a mistake. I've been very happy with the 6200 so I will now purchase a 5200 to go alongside it.
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply, its much appreciated!
    Superuser
    Hi @jonskcollob

Your welcome.

Doug