Why are GPS coordinates not available? — TomTom Community

Why are GPS coordinates not available?

Big_Rig_Vito_T680Big_Rig_Vito_T680 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
With my Trucker 620, I can navigate to a specific GPS location of latitude and longitude.

Yet I cannot retrieve a GPS location from a saved favorite, or any other location on the 620 GPS. I also cannot retrieve a GPS location from the map of the MyDrive app as well.

At one point, I was able to obtain a latitude and longitude on MyDrive, by holding my finger down on the map, and the coordinates were then displayed. This only worked for 3 times, then I would have to exit the app, and restart in order to retrieve 3 more locations. When I requested to TomTom that the app be improved in this regard, instead of getting more robust, the latest updates don’t display GPS coordinates whatsoever.

What gives? This is a GPS. Why can’t TomTom allow the user to know the GPS coordinates of saved locations so that they can be shared with others??

I would really like TomTom to task the developer of the MyDrive app to provide this functionality.
Tagged:

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,614
    Superusers
    edited June 27
    Hi
    @Big_Rig_Vito_T680
    Welcome to the site....
    Coordinates... Using the Trucker 620
    Tap on the 4Dot (....) Icon (Bottom left screen)
    Tap Search Icon
    Tap (Top right on screen) Tap Whole map Note….
    On some units (I think) it says Installed Maps
    Scroll down
    Tap Latitude Longitude Icon
    When the device has a "GPS Satellite lock"
    The Latitudes and Longitudes shown on the screen as examples are....
    Live for your current location

Coordinates... Using the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    If you want a near as dammit Coordinate... For say a 'Stop' or a Point on the Map
    Have the MDW Route planner full screen
    Zoom the Map in to the required detail (Recommend Zoom level 16 (18 is Max Zoom))
    Left-click on the Location and drag the location near as dammit to the Screen centre
    The https:// link contains the Coordinates
    Note... Ignore the .16 at the end if refers to the present Zoom level of the MDW Route planner screen
    Tip... You can Copy & Paste the MDW Coordinates (Not the whole https:// link) to Google Maps for more info....

Right-click on the image for zoom options....
    md2kr99m1xvn.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Big_Rig_Vito_T680Big_Rig_Vito_T680 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 27
    “ The Latitudes and Longitudes shown on the screen as examples are....
    Live for your current location”

YES! This helps a lot, something I didn’t know (and I thought I was an expert user after this being my THIRD TT truck GPS in the last 7 years).

I still need to see the “examples” specify the GPS coordinates displayed for a favorite saved (and displayed) on the map. That way I can have coordinates for my favorites. I have an app on my phone which displays CURRENT GPS location, so even though your reply is helpful, it doesn’t solve the issue.

As far as using the MyDrive map, I’m using my iPhone and although I can see my favorites on the map, there are no GPS coordinates to be found anywhere (my original post stated that at one point the locations WERE FOUND, but with recent updates to the app, this functionality has been lost).

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,200
    Superuser
    edited July 6
    Hi @Big_Rig_Vito_T680

You can’t get the Co-ords of positions on your TT unit unless you are at the position concerned.

You may like to look at the Mapcode App as whilst it does not know your favourite places if you locate them on the App it will give you an Address, Mapcode and Long/Lat for any position in the world. Mapcodes work on TT devices and can identify a space approx the size of a Parking Slot in a Car Park. If you enter GBR DH.FX. In search on your TT unit it will direct you to the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace.

The App map can be put in hybrid mode which gives you a map like the Sat view in Google Earth and so you can move the map around to get the cursor exactly where you want it and get the Mapcode and Co-ords for the position.

Doug
    edited June 27
    @DougLap

Thanks! I downloaded the Mapcode App. Easy to use! For now, I’ll use it to zoom in on my Favorites (cross referenced from My Drive or the 620 GPS), then grab the coordinates.

Hopefully TomTom will enhance its functionality in this regard soon.

Edit to add: Just played with the app. The 620 accepts mapcode as a destination, but even a mapcode for Texas shows up as a location in “Virginia”. No worry, at least the coordinates are working correctly. I’ll stick with latitude and longitude. 🙂

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,200
    Superuser
    Hi @Big_Rig_Vito_T680

In the States you precede the Mapcode with US-TX or US-VA dependant which state you want.

Doug
    Update:

I just had a live chat with TT support and a ticket was generated to address my suggestion (provide GPS coordinates for saved favorites, either using the GPS or the MyDrive app).